View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 09:17 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

They like me take hundreds of photos of a car before they even turn a wrench and then hundreds more as they go. I ran into an oddity on Dana's Yenko and documented it so the judges would not have an issue. It appeared that for some very odd reason the painter sprayed a gloss black band directly in the area above the rear axle from one side of the car to the other. For what reason is way beyond my educated mind. It was clearly gloss black and you could even see the runs going down the rear frame rails on top of the rest of the semi gloss pan. This was all replicated during the restoration process.

With regards to your color question, I have seen a big variety of color differences in primers used on the bellies of Chevelles for instance. I asked an assembly line painter about it one day and he stated that the primer had to meet certain specs and a basic color. Outside of that they did not care so no care was taken if another primer got mixed into it and made it a different shade. The goal was to have as minimal of waste as possible. For this reason when we shoot our Chevelles with a rosette primer we mix it close to the last batch but not exact so that every car is ever so slightly different. Jamie also uses paint cards he has to get close to what he finds on the original body if that paint sample on the body is good enough to use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations