Thread: 1967 rs/ss l78
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,171 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuncio View Post
That is really a neat car. Pretty smokin' trap speed, too....
When I purchased the car it hadn't run in 15 years. In fact it wasn't even running when I purchased the car. After cleaning the tank , flushing the fuel lines and rebuilding the carburetor she fired right up. The car sounded awesome, and had some radical cam that wouldn't idle below 1300 rpm. The tires were L 60's and hard as a rock. It wouldn't hook up worth a darn.

Brian D. purchased the car from the original owner just 3 weeks before he sold it to me and told me it had been raced some, and provided me original owner contact info. I called Yue the original owner, and made arrangements to meet and discuss the history, and see if he had any documentation on the car. He provided me with a test and tune log documenting the adjustments he made such as timing, jets, plugs, gas ect.., along with corresponding results.

Although the motor was original, it was a mystery in term of internals and knowing it was run hard I decided on a rebuild. The engine was clean inside and still standard bore, heads original and were in excellent condition. The rebuilder, Hampton Engines said the main bearings caps had shifted, due to over revving.

Me being a purist, I brought the car back to stock, however I kept some original day 2 components I took off in 1996. Who knows I may reinstall at some point. To me a Motion stinger hood would look awesome on the car.

Presently I'm in the process attempting to reconnect with Yue. I also have info of an identical car ( same color options and powerplant) that was tearing up the street, but different owner.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com