Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-26-2010, 04:18 AM

Default Title Question

I know a lot of people do not title their muscle cars in their names if they do not plan on driving them so they can avoid paying sales taxes. If someone does this, how can they sell the car to someone that plans on titling it given that the title and receipt would be in different names???????

1996 Carrera & 1993 Fat Boy
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Title Question

Sometimes the person at the DMV will let it slide. Ask me how I know!

Otherwise I'm not sure how it works legally.

Kurt

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 02-26-2010, 06:23 AM

Thanks Kurt...but I'm not willing to take that risk after spending a grand or more to ship it up here...

Old 02-26-2010, 06:30 AM

They dont put their names on the title at all.The previous owner signs the tite and puts no other info on it.The car and title can go through many owners and when somebody wants to title it they just put the current date as the date of sale and put their own name in the buyer section.If a seller makes the buyer put their name on the buyer section of the title it usally has to be put in that person's name before it can be resold.Since only the legally titled owner can obtain a replcement title,if you plan on keeping the car you should title it in your name since if you loose the title and t isnt in your name you better hope and pray that you can find the last owner and he is in the mood to go thru all he hoops needed to get a replacement title.If you dont want to pay sales tax just ask the buyer to write $500 in the price field.Most people who dont put titles in their name are either car flippers who would get caught playing used car dealer without a lisence,or have skeletons in their closet{ex wife lookng for assets,bankruptcy courtlooking at them ect).Always put your junk in your name as soon as you buy it even if its just a rusted out shell that wont be running for 10 years.If your gonna flip it{nothing wrong with making a buck}then work fast and move it before the title ends up falling behind the sofa never to be seen again.

And one more piece of advce,if you sell a car that is clearly a parts car ir has little or no chance of ever being restored,ALWAYS make the buyer put their name on the title in front of you and write down all their info.Cars like that often end up as tag donors,and your name is on the papework trail and when the cops show up to question you and see your collection of half finished cars and piles of parts they are going to be looking at you extra carefully.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:46 AM

Not sure how it works in Canada But I title all my cars in my name the legal fact of paying taxes on my property vs the chance to have to prove it is mine at a later date is a small price to pay.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 AM

Thanks guys. Maybe I wasn't clear...I am attempting to buy a car that has an open title in the previous owner's name and will definitely be titling it in my name. My problem is that I will have a title in one peron's name and a receipt in another's name. That will not fly at the DMV up here...How do you guy's get around this?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 AM

Have the guy title it in his name before selling it to you. A clear title should be a clear title.

Jason
Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys. Maybe I wasn't clear...I am attempting to buy a car that has an open title in the previous owner's name and will definitely be titling it in my name. My problem is that I will have a title in one peron's name and a receipt in another's name. That will not fly at the DMV up here...How do you guy's get around this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Got any car dealer friends? They could "wash" that title clean by running it through their books and selling it to you. Not that I've ever done anything like that though.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 PM

That might work...any Chicago-area members have a dealer connection that could do this for a reasonable fee if necessary?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Thanked 4,685 Times in 2,171 Posts

I wouldn't risk it and I'm not sugesting you do either but an old Canadian trick is first taking the Vin of an older car to the DMV here in Ontario and when it doesn't show up on the system it's considered as been off the road since before the data was put into the computer database so they issue you a title on the spot!.
Next thing is just picking up the car and sailing through the border into Canada w/ a nice car in tow 'on your way home from a show' or returning from 'a swap meet no sale' if a project car but presenting the Canadian registration in either case..
Optional is taking a hulk into the US that gets left behind when you load up the good car...both trips done w/ enclosed trailers or car covers on open trailers to satisfy camera shots and if too much border action happens on the way down the trip is aborted..

~ Pete