Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Old 04-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Yenko Stripe help please

I am helping put Yenko stripes/decals on a 69 Camaro. Does anyone have dimensions and/or close-up photos that will help. Specifically the distance from the front of the hood to the tip of the arrow point. And the distance above the body line on the side...and/or the distance down from the top of the fender/quarter on the side.

As always, Thanks Yenko.net
Max
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 397351-yenkoshots011.jpg 397349-guitars465.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Yenko Stripe help please

Every car was different. There really is NO wrong way. Pic out a look you like and go with it..BKH
Old 04-12-2009, 07:05 PM

Thanks, but.....

Believe me, I have seen many stripes...and I'm sure you have too...that look totally ridiculous.....I sure don't want to be the blame for everyone laughing at the stripe placement on this car....haha....

The car is a pro-street clone with a 502 blower motor sticking thru the hood, so we are not tryin' to fool anyone. I'd just like some kind of a guide atleast to go by...

anyone?? Thanksss
Old 04-12-2009, 07:23 PM

As Brian said, there really is no wrong way, but if you want a guide, I personally think they look best with the "arrow" portion of the hood stripe starting right where the cowl induction scoop flattens out at the front of the hood. In other words, put the 2 stripes on the raised portion of the hood and the arrow on the flat part. I've seen original cars with the arrow up on the scoop, but I think the original intention was for the arrow to be down on the flat part, extending the overall stripe to a few inches short of the front hood edge. The stripes at the rear usually wrap around the back of the scoop, not end short of the rear hood edge.

Hope that makes sense!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:59 AM

Thanks Brian..and Joe...that does make a lot of sense..the arrow belongs on the flat....but I still say a pic is like a thousand words....

..Does anyone have a semi closeup pic of the side stripe in the rear where it touches the spoiler?? Id like to see how it is trimmed there in that area. And a full side view would be cool too...Thanks!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 AM

The supercar feature section should have quite a few cars that should gice you a good idea.

Jason
Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 AM

The arrow does not always belong on the flat. My first Yenko [O6A] the arrow was @13 inches back from the peak of the hood. I have seen the later cars with this treatment more often than not. Most guys will not put it back there even if its without question that's the way it was. I was told by several "experts" that that stripe was wrong...BKH
Old 04-13-2009, 05:55 AM

Brian is right, here's a shot taken in the summer of '69 showing the stripe way up on the scoop. (and a big 'ol dent in the header panel too!) As I said, they probably weren't designed to be that short, but many were... If you're doing a clone you can end them wherever you want, but if i was restoring the car in this picture, well theres really no question where those ones should be.

Attached Images

Old 04-13-2009, 06:02 AM

Another thing I've seen variations on is the hood stripes themselves... The car pictured above has the outer edges of the stripes following the edge of the scoop portion of the hood, "splaying" them out in a V formation... On other cars I've seen the inner portion of the stripes follow the center hood crease, with the 2 stripes running nearly parallel to each other, as in the picture below. Either way could be considered correct.

Attached Images

Old 04-15-2009, 01:50 PM

The other issue is how far back from the door jam the wide part of the side stripe should start. As Brian noted on the hood stripe, the side stripes were all over the board, too....everywhere from 1" or so to 8-9". I settled on 4 1/2" on my clone.

Also, In my unscientific research (comparing cars at SCR) I found the front of the side stripe to generally start about 1" back from the rear of the side marker, but in the pic Joe posted, it starts farther back.

In my observation, the top of the side stripe was almost always just below the door key escutcheon. (touching or almost touching)

While I'm on it, there were also several ways the side stripe terminated on the top of the quarter. Some folded over about 1/4" and were kind of creased on top, but most stopped just short of the top crease. Some were cut straight, but most I observed followed the contour of the quarter crease, anywhere from even to 1/4" below the crease.
When I made my observations, I paid particular attention to the two or three unrestored examples, but I also noted SCW's placement on their restorations, as Brian and Joe are very particular about these details.

When Brian saw me measuring certain things, he volunteered some normaltive practices he had deduced from his extensive observations.