Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Misc. Dealers

Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Laks Chevrolet

Does anyone know anything about Laks Chevrolet in Blasdell, New York? Any plate frames or dealer emblems? Reason I'm asking is I just got the NICB back on it and it shows our 69 L72 M22 Biscayne was shipped there 4/8/69.

Thanks
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 AM

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,977 Posts
Default Re: Laks Chevrolet

Isn't Albert's Copo Chevelle a Laks delivered car?.
Alss is his user name here..
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...at=showmembers

A quick Googling shows that Laks Chevy was demolished in the 80's also Laks Dealerships still in the Bufalo area but selling Honda/Acura product..
Here's their website if you want to try them on..
http://www.raylaks.com/

The Google results also noted a Nasty thread from a couple years back w/ some mid 70's pics of the Laks dealership you may be able to track down plus this funny Laks story below..

Cool on the L72 Biscayne!.

~ Pete

It was a warm late Spring night in May of 1973. Dad was to go flying so we ate dinner a little early that night. Somehow the conversation through the supper hour was about cars, Chevy rat V8 engines (big blocks of course) and manual transmissions. After dinner dad left for the airport and I jumped into my 1968 Torino GT and drove to Laks Chevrolet on McKinley Pkwy. in Blasdell, NY. The dealership was fairly new at that time but is gone now. Toys R Us was built there after the dealership was demolished maybe in the early 80's.
Out in front of the in a line of Chevy's sat a new 1973 Chevelle SS 454. Light green metallic, dark green bench seat with a 4 speed manual on the floor, a real sleeper except for the SS stripes and badging. A salesman by the name of Bob Ahl came out and started his pitch. He offered a road test and I accepted graciously. When Bob handed me the keys the rest was history. I inserted the key into the ignition and spooled it up. Without hesitation there was the deep and throaty rumble of the 454 at idle. The road test was awesome and I purchased the SS that night using my Dad's information and trading in my Torino. I negotiated a great deal for Frank, as I recall it was well under three grand with my Torino in trade and all taxes included.
Dad got home late and went to bed as I got up and went to school. The phone rang at around 11:00 AM. Dad answered and Bob Ahl congratulated him on his purchase and asked when he would like to pick up his new Chevelle. Well, you can imagine what was about to be posed to me when I got home from West Sr. High from Dad.
After Frank had expressed his dismay for all of my previous nights activity he relented and agreed to go see his(my) new Chevelle SS for purchase consideration. Now the road-test...
I drove and headed south on McKinley extension towards Hamburg. A few low rpm and short shifts and Dad was kind of selling the car to me. I was encouraged and hopeful as Frank seemingly was buying into my scheme. As the traffic light was changing Dad gave me that look and asked if the car had any ass. I started to roll, side-stepped the clutch, revved up the engine and started the run. As it launched the tires were bellowing white smoke out of the wheel wells and it was evident that this coil rear spring chevelle would need ladder bars to control the wheel hop. A screaming redline power shift into second gear, and the deep roar as the RPM's increased toward mid range as I shifted into third gear and then another short shift into forth as I allowed it to slow back to or somewhere near close to the speedlimit with Dad just smiling! I thought that he was impressed with the car and it's performance.
Well I was right but wrong! I had bought into Frank's trap and lure of performance/crazy driving and although he was impressed with the driving that I had learned from him he was NOT impressed with the ease that I had gone to full race!
I Loose... "Take it back Son" Dad said and the deal was cancelled!

...Thanks Dad!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:04 AM

I work for Ray Laks Acura and i do not recall a Chevy franchise only Buick but i will ask tomorrow for you also i will check if any records still exist
Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Jim69Z please let me know if you come across anything.

We are still trying to locate owner history on the car. I've been able to find the owner (Jerry Korytko) back to 1980 when he bought it out of a Buffalo super swap paper. It was all original when he got it with a blown motor. He pulled the motor and had Jim Oddy build one for the car. Painted it from maroon to red and lettered it as "Bisquick", then went racing through 1984 or 1985. If anyone has anything on the this car I would really appreciate

I would love to find some plate frames or dealer emblems from Laks.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:04 PM

Hey Zach, have any photos to post of the '69 Biscayne? Would love to see them. One day, that is a car I'd like to restore/own.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 PM

It doesn't look very good in these pictures. It is currently get a frame off.

https://www.yenko.net/photos/member.php/uid/5921
Old 07-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Thanked 5,976 Times in 2,915 Posts

Hey Zach, did you ever get the correct shifter for your car? The pics seem to show a Chevelle bench shifter.

Tony
Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Those are the pictures before we started restoring the car. I've now got the correct shifter, handle, boot, trim ring and bezel. Just need my car back from the body shop.....
Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 PM

Zach, that's a fantastic car, even pre-resto. Where were you able to find it? Those '69s are really hard to find.

Is that the correct color (pre-resto)?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:21 AM

We bought the car the first time out of Tonawanda, NY in 1994. It was a race car back in the day and called "Bisquick". It was raced at Lancaster. We sold the car when I went to college and lost track of it. We found it a few years back down the street from us in the same condition we sold it in. In fact my name was still on the title and insurance cards in the glove box.