Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 03-21-2011, 03:33 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 72 TA : New Project

Steve, you always find the odd stuff cheap [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] Wish Jinx was ready last friday! Still redoing the gas lines and tank (winter project, just a little late )
Old 03-21-2011, 03:36 AM

Thanked 2,418 Times in 764 Posts

Hey, it's officially Spring now, so get movin' [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif[/img]

Any word on a replacement location for the Jackson Outlet cruise?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any word on a replacement location for the Jackson Outlet cruise? </div></div>

Word is the new cruise location is supposed to be at the Shoppes at Hamilton which is on rt 130 north, just south of I195.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:50 PM

Steve, any time you want to go to a free cruise night, let me know. I am compiling my NJ 2011 cruise/show calendar and have my email chain up and running. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2011, 04:11 AM

Not being satisfied with the wrinkles that were left in the back edges of the headliner after my amateur installation a year or so ago, I took the car out for a 70-mile round trip drive today, to a long-time upholsterer I have used for other work.

He's been doing this stuff for 45 years and he still says he's learning new methods every day. After about an hour or so of tugging, heating and massaging, all the wrinkles are gone. He said one of the mistakes people tend to make is not to trim away enough of the fabric channel that holds the metal bows. If there is too much of the channel still attached to the headliner on the ends, it will cause bunching and wrinkles in the edges and corners.

All in all, he said he has seen a lot worse backyard jobs than mine, so I guess that was a compliment. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

(P.S. I think it's time I cleaned the camera lens.)

Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Nice! Just took mine for a spin too. The gas is flowing! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 AM

Did the annual oil change yesterday. I put 1,150 miles on her since April last year. Five quarts of Castrol GTX 10W40 + a can of STP + 3 ounces of Camshield zinc additive.

Changed the plugs back to the NGKs. It really runs a lot smoother with those NGKs in. I had swapped back to the set of Autolites during the ignition trouble-shooting episode a few months ago but I noticed it runs &quot;different&quot; with the Autolites - it kind of surges at a steady RPM. That doesn't happen with the NGKs.

Took her out for another spin today to test drive the new oil (needed an excuse). I'm beginning to like this thing. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2011, 06:39 PM

Still fine tuning the tuning: [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

I bought a one step colder set of UR5GP NGK plugs to see how they burn. After 35 years of wrenching I'm still learning about stuff, like how to read the electrode and where the burn mark should be.

Here's the UR4GP, burning a bit too hot, as the flame mark on the electrode is closer to the base than it should be. (Too close to the tip would indicate too cold of a heat range).

And the UR5GP burning the preferred area, halfway up the electrode:

And here is the base ring color with a consistent brownish tone, allegedly indicating proper carb jetting/fuel mixture:

Any tuning gurus out there, feel free to chime in with your opinions!

This looked like an interesting article on plug reading:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/plug-reading-lm.html

Old 04-21-2011, 04:25 AM

In case anyone is still following this insane thread, I started on a new project - my Gramma Rose's Firebird that we've owned since new:

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...019#Post449019

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2011, 05:09 AM

Had a fun time at the Performance Years Open House yesterday in Hatfield, PA. Great bunch of people there. Hung out with a few Performance Years site members. Here's a shot of their 71 and 70, next to my 72.

Also spent some time with Tom D, and his High Performance Pontiac Magazine crew. They spent a good two hours shooting the T/A at a nearby barn, in the early evening. (You have to shoot a white car either first thing in the morning or the last thing at the end of the day, in order to get the exposure right. Here's a sample shot with my point and shoot camera at about 7:00 PM.

The car performed flawlessly. It was only 45 miles or so, so my son and I drove the leisurely hour to get there. The only stop was to rescue a female box turtle trying to cross Route 202 in PA.

The return trip was fine too. Ended up using a quarter of a tank of gas for about 90 miles of travel. We had the A/C going full blast on the way home. It was definitely a hot and humid day. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif[/img]