Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 03-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: THE LAST??? 1967 Z-28

Ebay did that to me awhile back. They ended about 50 of my auctions. I called them and they were able to put them in my completed auction category so I could click the relist button.

Jason
Old 03-28-2008, 08:19 AM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Max,

You did not cause any trouble. Best of luck selling the car.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I had a COPO years ago with a BE rear dated later than the build date on the trim tag but it was the same rear date on the protecto plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that was common with 06A cars and BE rears. Mine is that way too.

ZL1 #49 (Dale, Waukesha WI) Super Stock restoration by SCW; 9561AA (Walters, Hebron OH) Super Stock motor by the Grump
Old 03-28-2008, 06:30 PM

If I am not mistaken the 06A trim tag was used for most if not all of June of 69...
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 03-28-2008, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is that E-bay is like Dell customer support. They will just wear you down till you give up. Ebay has another white 67 Z/28 listed right now that is complete. Wait till a few days before the other ad ends before you decide to list your car again.

That why I buy Gateway.
Mark Sheppard

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-28-2008, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kurt, what happend to a '67 Camaro if it came down the line and somehow the count was wrong on parts.. like a 12 bolt rear for a SS and a important piece for a SS I would think...would the car go to the side somewhere till they found one??

[/ QUOTE ]
That's why the scheduler had one of the most important jobs in the plant. There was no room to set aside a car and all the incoming subassemblies that were sequenced to that car. If you pulled out the car, it would mess up the whole system - a red front clip would show up to assemble to a yellow car, etc.....

Body assembly dates are not exact and there's still several days until the car gets finished. So axles can be after the body date - but it's not common and generally happened only on months like 69 06A.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 PM

Question: I worked in a factory wher we built combines CNH global. I understand that you didn't actually pull a car/combine off the line over an issue, but if there was an issue with a particular machine, it still went down the chain,( later timed push up stations). Those problems were then fixed in a repair area. Does this apply with car assy?
Would this also apply to line stock shortages, so a part might be changed out after it was off the chain? I understand the scheduler should have all these things in order.I used to work with these guys on getting the right parts to the line on time. Some were much better than others.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:10 PM

thnx for the reply, one of those things that has bugged me for years wanting to know
Old 03-29-2008, 01:02 AM

If there was an issue, it might have been resolved by the repairman that worked in that area (as the car continued down the line) while the worker went to the next car. Else it would have been noted on the inspection sheet and sent to the repair bays.

Yeah, you sure didn't pull a combine off the line!! The Willow Run plant (now Hydramatic, next door to the Willow Run assembly plant) was the B-24 bomber plant - making 1 an hour. 100,000 parts coming together; now that would be something to see!
Old 03-31-2008, 03:33 AM

Hey Guys..long time no chat...hehehe..

Well, I just had to run home to my computer to add a little flame to this thread. I just got home from my family "Easter Dinner'..a week late, but better late than never.

Anyway, My brother was there with his family and I had to ask him what is the "real" deal where he works. You see, he has been at GM for 24 years and currently works on the assembly line at the Wilmington Plant. He is line manager?? I think??

I mentioned my car. And I got to asking him about the VINs, and the procedures at the plant now. He actually was stamping (actually said it is a scribing machine)the VINS on the blocks and putting the VIN plates in the Saturn cars recently. He even said the machine has an X for if you make a mistake..and then it puts a number below...same as the old days..real interesting stuff..a security guard gives him 50 VINs and exactly 100 rivets...he has to double count them..then he has to return them to the security guard during every break to be locked away...he also talked about the prototype soltise hardtops they recently made...pilot cars!! really cool hearing this stuff from my own brother...after this thread!!

Obviously a lot has changed since back in the day. But I asked my Brother about if there was ever a time when a part is not there for a car..or something goes wrong..if the cars just continue down the line or what?? Could a VIN be out of sequence because of something like that.

He works on the trim line of the Saturn solstice..he said rather often the cars continue down the line with a missing part and then they play catch up, BUT...he said at any given moment there are up to 20 cars pulled off the line in his department alone ..and for up to a few months...beause of a defect or lack of a part...he went on to say how the car has a paper sheet attached and they can tell if it is a dealer order, a customer order, an import, or a fleet order...and if it is a dealer order, they will ship the car without a certain option, but if it is a customer order, it could sit and wait for up to 2 months waiting for a part.."getting all dusty in the corner". He said cars "get lost" in there...

He also talked about at times if there is a bad defect like a bad throw-out bearing, someone will park(hide) the car way out in the lot so it gets lost for a while before they have to repair it. He said it depends how bad the defect is on how quick they want to repair it and put the car back on the line.

I mentioned that there is supposed to be a guy that makes sure all the parts are there before they begin the cars...my brother said "yeh right...there IS a guy alright!!! hahaha"...

He also said that he would assume it was worse back then in 1967 because now everything is computerized and bar coded..don't know??

Anyway...but thats whats happening now at GM assembly lines!!!

BTW The possibly "last ordered" 67 Z-28 is being relisted tonight!! hehehe

thanks again SYC Max