Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts
Default Re: Barrett Jackson COPO Camaro

[ QUOTE ]
It's nice to finally see the whole rebody thing come out and into the light. Compare this auction to 5 years ago when everything sold was perfect, original and never questioned. It was the unspeakable. Ya right!

With respect to the green ZL1, it was funny to see Ron Pratt and Rick Hendrick sit on their hands while the car was on stage. They both had this look on their face as if to say "I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole".

Charley - what was the deal with the black COPO? A few guys have inquired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hylton,

If you followed numerous threads here over last few years that were BJ was the topic - overall I think BJ has gotten a fair shake including LOTS of critical commentary where deserved, and some defenders who cleared the record for BJ.

I had enough of the BJ auction scene by 2003 which was the last year I attended.

This year one of the hi points for me was the 2010 Camaro sale to the noted NASCAR Chevrolet sponsored team owner Rick Hendrick who of course is on the big time payroll as a race team owner for client Chevrolet/GM.

Hendrick conviently pays over 300 Large for the first 2010 Camaro with the announcers saying time and time again that "some lucky enthusist was going to get the chance" Perhaps Hendrick is a Camaro Enthusist, however if he is or not the whole thing looks very conflicted out to me.

BJ great to watch on TV but I put it in the same league as pro wrestling just car style, it is entertainment and most of the country has little else to do in the dead of winter so they watch.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Chuck did not remove the trim tag or vin# from the car. Somebody else did that. The car now has the correct vin on the body. There lies the rub!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's nice to finally see the whole rebody thing come out and into the light. Compare this auction to 5 years ago when everything sold was perfect, original and never questioned. It was the unspeakable. Ya right!

With respect to the green ZL1, it was funny to see Ron Pratt and Rick Hendrick sit on their hands while the car was on stage. They both had this look on their face as if to say "I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole".

Charley - what was the deal with the black COPO? A few guys have inquired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hylton,

If you followed numerous threads here over last few years that were BJ was the topic - overall I think BJ has gotten a fair shake including LOTS of critical commentary where deserved, and some defenders who cleared the record for BJ.

I had enough of the BJ auction scene by 2003 which was the last year I attended.

This year one of the hi points for me was the 2010 Camaro sale to the noted NASCAR Chevrolet sponsored team owner Rick Hendrick who of course is on the big time payroll as a race team owner for client Chevrolet/GM.

Hendrick conviently pays over 300 Large for the first 2010 Camaro with the announcers saying time and time again that "some lucky enthusist was going to get the chance" Perhaps Hendrick is a Camaro Enthusist, however if he is or not the whole thing looks very conflicted out to me.

BJ great to watch on TV but I put it in the same league as pro wrestling just car style, it is entertainment and most of the country has little else to do in the dead of winter so they watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. This site has always been on the ball. Membership has it's privileges. My point was that the general public seems to be starting to understand the rebody thing and that at least BJ has begun to announce when cars are rebodies.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I watched the video twice...when did they announce it was a re-body? As a matter of fact...C Jackson said 'this is a real car'..but they knew..it was a re body..hence NOT a real car...

Did I miss something?

I've been to Barrett Jackson twice...it is a meeting place of shysters and automotive idiots...idiots who want to be famous at the expense of paying a HUGE premium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim,

Apparently the statement was made by the auctioneers when the cars came up for sale. It was conveniently edited out of the broadcast.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:03 PM

Who bought the Yellow Yenko camaro?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,186 Times in 678 Posts

The sign in front of the ZL-1 stated it was a re-body. Did not help that style trim was added.

The black COPO should have done way better. Nice car only minor issues.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Although Craig Jackson's "WINK" is not clear in the U-Tube segment it was very clear on my DVR recording when I showed it on my big screen LCD. The guy he winked at was Gary Holub standing right behind him.
There was also disclaimers through out the auction shown on the big screen TV's right next to the stage that said something to the effect of "IT SHOULD BE ASSUMED THAT ALL CARS ARE NOT MATCHING NUMBERS AND MILEAGE IS NOT ACTUAL" or something to that affect.
The net net of the whole fiasco is that BJ is in business to make money and is very succesful at it. They are car salesmen and nothing more. They don't care about true quality cars, they just want to sell them. As long as people buy from them it will continue. We can all wring our hands and bitch about it, but it isn't going to change. So take it for what it is "entertainment" and keep supporting the legitimate venues for buying and selling the cars we love.
I do, however have to give credit to BJ for their charity efforts. That does mean a lot.

66 GTO, Tri power, Fact. A/C, 4 speed
65 Corvette, L-76, Conv., Fact. A/C
63 Corvette SWC
Old 01-19-2009, 09:14 PM

As usual, Don nailed it...
Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The black COPO should have done way better. Nice car only minor issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's scary! Imagine the sellers reaction - taking home less than 90K?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I watched the video twice...when did they announce it was a re-body? As a matter of fact...C Jackson said 'this is a real car'..but they knew..it was a re body..hence NOT a real car...

Did I miss something?

I've been to Barrett Jackson twice...it is a meeting place of shysters and automotive idiots...idiots who want to be famous at the expense of paying a HUGE premium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim,

Apparently the statement was made by the auctioneers when the cars came up for sale. It was conveniently edited out of the broadcast.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still confused..

poster said he it got footage from his DVR..

The broadcast was 'live' wasn't it?

You can't edit something that is 'live ' can you?

I don't mean to be obtuse...