Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: One of ? L89 Nova for sale at Russo and Steele

Then.....Should it be represented and sold as the 1 of 1 Novas in the World..........Just a question??

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 12-23-2009, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Darryl, Dave Frendel is the one who purched the the car, inquired about the heads, had the car restored and now has the car for sale.
With that being said, I have gone back and re-read all of the information on this car. This is from the Hemmings artical on the car.

Rather than dive into a full resto right away, Frendel opted to simply redo the engine and use the Nova. "I drove it for two years with no door panels, no package tray--the interior was a real rat's nest." Despite this, the car's body was actually fairly nice, with no visible rust and a decent black paint job, which turned out to be the Nova's original color.

After having some fun with the car, Frendel decided the time had come to do a proper restoration, and was referred to Legendary Motorcar Company in Ontario, Canada. He'd seen Legendary on the cable TV show Dreamcar Garage, so he made the call. Soon after, the Nova was on its way to the Great White North

This is from Daves post here on the 4th page.

The original engine block, heads, intake, water pump, and carb as well as the original tranny and rear came with the car. During restoration at Legendary, they disassembled the engine in front of me, BKH, and Klutt to examine the broach marks and dates.

This engine had already been rebuilt and driven for yrs by Dave before Brian and Klutt ever dis-assembled it!

Dave knew what would be found since he had already had the motor redone! Sounds like to me that the engine came to him in parts and he had the engine rebuilt using the heads that came with the purchase of the car.

If the car is the real deal,then the value has been hurt by using heads that had no factory piston that would work with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, let me say that somehow back in the early pages of this thread I got the idea that the current seller of the car was someone that Dave sold the car to. I APOLOGIZE for any confusion this may have created for anyone other than myself.

Based on what you and Dave have stated above it is VERY possible that the heads were replaced/provided with the engine in pieces at sometime prior to Dave's ownership. We all seem to forget that these aluminum heads were very prone to cracking and warping if the engine was engine overheated, and we all know overheating Big blocks was quite common. Very logical reason for the original heads to be MIA.
It sounds to me from the comments of the "experts" that looked at the car when the engine was taken apart, pretty much gave it a clean bill of health regarding the broching marks and stampings on the block that match the cars V.I.N.

So, once again, It sounds to me like the car is a true L89 with the wrong heads, which is not THAT big a deal to correct with a different set. Certainly not something to keep ME from buying the car if I were a buyer for it. At this point I have seen no evidence that the pistons or type were changed from an original type. The heads used would work but would reduce the compression. If this is the case then the correct heads would remedy this. If not, then the pistons would have to be changed creating additional expense. However this again would not bother me but WOULD be reflected in my offer or bid, but probably not by much. If you want the car where are you going to find another for sale?

As far as it being a 1 of 1, I guess that remains to be seen until documentation of another shows up. I think this thread has provided proof that they WERE available. Does anyone know of another?

BTW, i voted for #3.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:23 AM

right now the ONLY *guessed* validity is a protecta plate and an apparently clean block stamping...

is their anything else other than that?

if Chevy can document a couple or 3 ZL1 Vette's, and all their one-off dream/futuristic cars, you'd think they could prove ONE assembly line legit L89 Nova?

I sure would like to know how it ran for a few years with that head/piston combo...

and yeah, I punched the #3 ballot too..
Old 12-23-2009, 01:26 AM

i voted for #3 also.i understand both points of view on this car .Chris
Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 AM

Mighty mouse.i just finished an L-89 clone for my nova with 11;0;1 compression and 842 heads and a blueprint crane 375 hp flat tappet cam.i will let you guys know as soon as it is dynoed the first of january.chris Teed
Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 AM

Telling ya someone swapped the heads years ago because of the gas issues. I bet somebody at the dealership was smart enough to know that back then.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:23 AM

Ken and everyone, else enough already. We get your opinions move on. This thread is being locked.

The Best things in life......Aren't Things