Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-10-2010, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Looking for DYNO results on a stock 1969 L78

Has anyone ever done a back to back comparison of the 569 and 163 intakes. I have a feeling that there wouldn't be as much difference as people might think, especially in the rpm range that these engines work best. People wouldn't believe that the rectangular port intake would work on oval port heads. Seems to just fine. Just curious.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I've got an old magazine with a feature of an NHRA Stock Eliminator LS-6 Chevelle and I was quite surprised to hear them say that back-to-back the '569' pancake was about the same as the '163' high-rise manifold. Now this was with stock camshaft specs and they stated that with a more radical cam and a higher RPM range that the '163' would probably surpass it.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:36 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

The stock built L78 in my Pace Car dynoed in the 380's through headers, no smog, no special tuning or jetting.

My stock L72 427, same deal dynoed at 436hp @ 5900 440 tq @ 4100

Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need to define "stock"...are we talking as delivered, tuned, blueprinted, etc...?

[/ QUOTE ]

No smog, Tuned, blueprinted, No headers
Martin

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not sure I'd consider blueprinted "stock". Square the decks/index the crank/index lifter bores/make all "holes" perpendicular to crank centerline/"CC" all the chambers.....etc. Basically "fix" all the things that can't be controlled with mass, assembly line procedures.
A LOT of people use the word blueprinted (balanced and blueprinted used in thousands of ads over the years)too loosely. It's HUGE undertaking that involves a lot of areas
Old 04-16-2010, 09:15 PM

Good thread BTW.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need to define "stock"...are we talking as delivered, tuned, blueprinted, etc...?

[/ QUOTE ]

No smog, Tuned, blueprinted, No headers
Martin

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not sure I'd consider blueprinted "stock". Square the decks/index the crank/index lifter bores/make all "holes" perpendicular to crank centerline/"CC" all the chambers.....etc. Basically "fix" all the things that can't be controlled with mass, assembly line procedures.
A LOT of people use the word blueprinted (balanced and blueprinted used in thousands of ads over the years)too loosely. It's HUGE undertaking that involves a lot of areas

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, I'd say I have a *decent* grasp on what it means...and as I posted above, "stock" and "blueprinted" can indeed coexhist within the same conversation, depending of course on the sanctioning body! For instance, the class I primarily race in (Pure Stock) originally dealt only with "stock specs", thus it was in your best interest to "blueprint" your engine to factory/AMA specs...the class has since switched to NHRA specs, which are often a loose interpretation of said factory/AMA specs...as for where the class & a couple participants have recently taken this class & said specs, well, I'll just leave that be for now...
Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 PM

There is a whole lot of difference between pure stock & NHRA stock. I know of a 396-375 nhra legal motor that pulls 640 hp.