Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 07-19-2017, 11:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I'll agree with the Lisk Dodge, The Silver Bullet, and the Roush-built Mustang, but please don't start throwing Dobbertin's cars or Matt Hays' Ciera in the mix. Not that Dobbertin's cars weren't highly detailed and shined like an uncirculated penny; and not the Hays' Ciera wasn't an over-the-top build of a then-new car, but in my opinion, those builds started what turned into "Pro Fairground" and barely ran on eight cylinders much less ran close to eight seconds. All the chrome, candy paints and tweed interiors did was spawn a generation of slow and overcarbed money-pits that sold magazines.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:59 AM

Amen !!

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 07-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Back to the original post,it would seem that a Lenco would be more driveable on the street that a traditional 4 speed that was made clutchless using face plated gears. Most nightmare stories of clutchless transmissions on the street were probably from people trying to run face plated stick transmissions rather than Lencos. Without going into the specifics of what a face plated trans is I will just say that they were impossible to keep in gear because every time you let off the gas the trans popped out of gear and they weren't truly synchonized transmissions so they took skill to downshift.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
Back to the original post,it would seem that a Lenco would be more driveable on the street that a traditional 4 speed that was made clutchless using face plated gears. Most nightmare stories of clutchless transmissions on the street were probably from people trying to run face plated stick transmissions rather than Lencos. Without going into the specifics of what a face plated trans is I will just say that they were impossible to keep in gear because every time you let off the gas the trans popped out of gear and they weren't truly synchonized transmissions so they took skill to downshift.

Faceplating can be done either way... Clutchless (will drop out of gear on deceleration) or.... Clutch assist style where the dogs are back cut to hold in gear.
A clutch assist style faceplated box can be easily driven on the street by rev-matching and/or double clutching. But they are clunky so not for everyone.
And takes a bit of a learning curve for getting the hang of it. Full throttle powershifts with a tap of the clutch are instant and BIG FUN!

I run a Liberty faceplated TKO 600 in a 72 mini tubbed Nova (runs mid 11's).
Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to L78_Nova For This Useful Post:
RichSchmidt (07-22-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 03:24 PM

OK glad we're talking about Lenco's again. My buddy runs a Pro-Shifted hemi box behind his 500 inch B1 1970 Cuda. It's ok but does take a lot more work.

The best advantage of the street driven lenco is the fact of reliability! There is far less of a chance of hurting a Lenco the AND standard box, Liberty and Jerico included. Add that to the fact that the cost of a good used CS1 is usually less than a new trans that can take the power.

The ONLY downfall I have found/seen is there heavy and the multi stick shifter takes up a lot of space.
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
Old 08-21-2017, 08:58 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts

Great info on this guys. I know one thing....they sure aren't exactly cheap! But then again, if it was, I'm sure it'd break on the first pass. Now what about sourcing the bellhousing for a Mopar? I haven't contacted Lenco directly yet, but just curious. Thanks again!!

Cheers

Dave
Old 08-22-2017, 02:46 AM

I have a lenco st1200 behind a big block with an 871. The st1200 is the street box lenco came out with and it was made so you could down shift the trans on the street easier. It was designed to handle 1200 horsepower. Jeffco is another trans that was also designed to be downshifted easier for street use and it designed to handle 2500'horsepower. The down fall to the jeffco is there is a limited number of ratios to choose from. It definitely is alot of fun on the street. When downshifting you have to raise the rpm slowly for the trans to catch up to the motor like a high stall converter,if not you will break parts. When you shift it ,you know it, it hits pretty hard. Hopecthis helps some,good luck. Tig
Old 08-22-2017, 02:49 AM

If you go to the lenco site they have the whole explanation of how it works. They are great people to deal with also.