Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 03:54 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Engine Stamp look good?

I'm looking at purchasing a L78 Chevelle just curious what every one's thoughts are on this stamp. I didn't know if anyone has a data base of pictures to compare it to? It looks good to me but I don't claim to be an expert and want a 2nd opinion because I will be paying up for the car. Thanks Andy

https://ibb.co/dGzSSQ

https://ibb.co/gWN8Z5
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry DSC04149 (600x450).jpg DSC04148 (600x450).jpg c1.jpg c1.1.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-23-2017, 03:56 AM

If you click on the link it shows a better quality pic. I had to downsize it a lot to get it to upload here

Last edited by quick-bowtie; 08-23-2017 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:17 PM

Being the 67 is relatively rare, it's hard to say. Compared to seveal 66 "EG" stamps I have the engine date/suffix looks right. The fonts for the KC partial VIN appear to be be correct when compared to other 67s from KC. Sequence 183434 is early May for KC so engine date (April 6) isn't too early for the car.
CD/DVDs/Chevelle Books/Chevelle Challenge Coin
Old 08-23-2017, 01:15 PM

Thanked 3,758 Times in 1,593 Posts

----Not sure as memories are fading, but aren't 67 Chevelle plant numbers stamped individually? I know 66s are, and I'm not sure if that was different at different plants. Someone will know, like Mystery Chevelle. You will have an answer shortly, I'm sure......Bill S
Old 08-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Thanked 1,597 Times in 491 Posts
Default 67 Engine Stamp..

As I recall our 67 Chevelle deck stamp was not a thing of beauty...letters were 'skewed'..and the '7' was hanging out by itself. Of course our car was a Fremont, CA vehicle, so maybe that is the difference.

Since a 67 L78 is so rare, I would recommend an expert look at to be sure.

-wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 08-23-2017, 02:49 PM

Here are pictures of the original stamping of my 67 Chevelle
Attached Images

69 L78 Nova
69 L34 Nova
67 SS Chevelle
73 Trans Am
Old 08-23-2017, 04:38 PM

shouldn't the partial VIN be on the trans? If it is, it would be always nice to compare also, if same stamp.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:00 PM

Default Stamping

While I own 3 67 L 78's 2 are Baltimore cars and 1 is a Kansas car. Comparing my stamping to yours they look very close. My concern is why the broaching isn't under the stamped numbers? I see it back close to the head but it looks smooth under the stamping. I have found more cars that weren't real than one's that are. If I were buying this car I would be all over every thing checking dates. Does it have the big radiator?? That will cost you 5 grand if you find one the carb. the distributor these are very important L 78 only parts. Does it have any paper work very important to check all these things before you lay out the cash.

Not a real good picture of my Kansas stamp but maybe it will help.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2017, 08:40 PM

On my high quality pic you can zoom in and see broach marks under the numbers but they are pretty faint. The pad was painted at one time some I'm assuming they might have been lightly sanded a little more in that area trying to get the paint up from the number? The pad is flat across not like someone erased a previous vin and restamped it. If it was restamped they did the whole thing. I just want some comparisons as far as fonts and spacing etc. and other peoples opinions before I close the deal.

The car is a 2 owner car purchased from the original owner about 15 years ago. Still on the 1975 title when the original owner got married and had the title changed to ad her new last name (original owner was a woman). It has its protect-o-plate, original finance papers, and loan payoff.

Original carb is gone it has a service replacement, does have correct heads, intake, dist, exhaust manifolds, it was to hard to get underneath to check tranny but that's my next step when I go back to try to hammer out a deal if I like what I hear. The small stuff doesn't concern me I just want to be sure the block is the original.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:31 PM

I think anyone about to purchase a Rare.... Ultra Rare car. Like a 67 SS L-78 convertible. ( maybe 22 produced ) they should do more than post a photo on a bulletin board. No offense to the gentlemen asking for help.

Remember... REAL 67 SS L-78 Chevelles .... 612 made. Real fully restored original engine and docs ones catch min $90,000 and upwards of $135,000 depending on quality of restoration and again, being authenticated by a respected expert in the field. One has to always ask the question is the car being sold for what the market is getting?? And if RARE with little to compare it to, is the price too good to be true ? If so... It probably is.

Some folks do more research buying their flat screen tv than they do in buying a classic car, I'm never shocked.

66 Deck Stamps are different from plant to plant and from time of the year to other times of the model year. Fonts and styles vary. Gang stamping at one and not at another. and that's 66 SS Chevelles. 67 is no different. What might be a good EXAMPLE for a January 67 at Atlanta may be different than a June example at Atlanta. Kansas stamps are nightmares for all year long. Buyer Beware.

Finally... cough cough.... Find out when the L78 option was released for Chevelles vs Camaro and what time frame a real one should be? April? or June and July ?