Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-20-2006, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Needing reassurance on purchase

As an owner of my '70 Z since 1979 and having inspected many '70-'73 Z/28's,it didn't take me long to see something was seriously wrong with RS Endura nose on this car...that one's about as cobbled up as any I've ever seen.Obviously full of filler...makes one wonder about the rest of the car...

That would have thrown up a red flag for me...the moment I saw the internet picture.

'69 Z/28 Yellow/Aug '07 CHP cover car
'70 Z/28 R/S Orange/Jan '08 CHP featured car
'70 Chevelle SS454 LS-5 Red/Jan '11 CHP cover car
Old 02-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
YOU OBVIOUSLY DIDNT READ MY AD OR THE TERMS. WHEN LOOKING AT A CAR YOU FORM YOUR OWN OPINION. OPINIONS DIFFER..

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
paint thin in alot of places, doors repainted hastily, drivers door fits poorly especially to upper weatherstripping (which is very loose), drivers window very floppy, endura nose cracked (looks like it was repaired at some point with bondo), metal door edge guards weren't removed when painted, poor stripe finish (some tape edge seeps), quick undercoating job (alot came off in car wash) doesn't appear to be hiding anything though, a few bondo cracks on hood. Overall it has all the bits its just not nearly the way it should be for the price I paid. I was willing to pay good money for a car I could tinker with and fix the small stuff and end up with a really nice driver, but for what I paid, I feel I got hosed. I didn't pay good money for a car I would have to do a thorough going through.

"THE BODY OF THIS Z/28 IS VERY NICE AND STRAIGHT, THE CAR HAS VERY NICE LINES, THE DOORS OPEN AND SHUT WITH EASE. THE PAINT IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION, IT SHINES AS IF PAINTED LAST WEEK,"

Sounds like two different opinions(and cars)being described.

Silk purse or sow's ear?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:28 AM

I think if this is not the original block they sure found a perfect block to put in. What I'm saying is the dates fit perfect for the car, and I think if you look on the oil filter flange it may make you feel better. I alway said a 70Z with the VIN on the pad is worth taking a second look at because i don't think it happened at the factory. But everyone thinks all correct engines should have it or else people will question the car, so they were added when they got a chance. Some did a better job then others, this guy did a lousy job like it was done in the car with the head on and free hand.
So like someone said you my have the original engine with a added VIN on the pad. If so I think you have a nice car with a lot of potential and a Great color and options you just paid to much.

1970 Z28
Hugger Orange
20K Mile Survivor
Old 02-21-2006, 12:40 AM

Gentlemen, Obviously there is room for blame on both sides of the issue. I hope everyone reading this thread who is new to the hobby realizes the importance of examining a car first hand before buying. If you are spending an amount of money that makes you the least bit uncomfortable, then for petes sakes go look at the car wherever it may be. What makes you uncomfortable has more to do with the value of the car as opposed to a buyers financial situation. (Although I'm sure certain people buy six and seven figure cars without looking at them and don't think twice) My rule of thumb is to research the value of the car through various sources and reach an educated opinion of the REAL value to me. If I'm going to pay that number or more I always go look. Otherwise I may simply buy based on photos knowing I'm getting a real steal and there might be some hidden problems. The problem I see here is the attitude of the seller when confronted with the issue. If the seller had a different demeanor with regards to the complaints I think the responses would be less harsh. The seller needs to consider that he may be "burning bridges" with folks who might be potential buyers when he jumps on a respected member of the hobby ,and this site ,like Charley. By the way Ken that doesn't sound like lawyereze. If the seller had spoken with an attorney, I'm sure he would have been advised to make no statements regarding his belief that the vin stamp is suspect. An admission that is patently ommitted from the original desc. on e-bay. It is one thing to honestly be in the dark about an issue and quite another to have suspicion about an issue and fail to disclose the same. Hope that wasn't too much lawyereze. Mitch
Old 02-21-2006, 12:54 AM

Not for nothing, "failure to disclose" the picture of the vin stamp is plain as day, the description shows the vin as it is stamped. how did i fail to disclose? sm
Old 02-21-2006, 01:08 AM

69Hurst, some of these guys have given you really good advice that would allow you to come away from this looking like a real standup guy and yet you just keep plugging along trying to justify your position. Why? Don't you see your just making yourself out to be the bad guy? There have been over 2600 views of this thread. Talk about free advertising! Come on man, work this thing out and at least walk away with your reputation in tact even if it cost you a few bucks. It's the classy thing to do.
<font color="#00FF00">1970 Z/28</font>
Old 02-21-2006, 01:20 AM

As i said early in this thread, the buyer and i had a conversation on friday, we have not spoken since. I have read many posts concerning the stamp none of witch has been a concern from the buyer to me. Some talk about giving a few bucks back. It is up to the buyer and the seller to work that out isnt it? Here is the first post that gord made on this site.

I just bought this car officially on tues. You can imagine how shocked I was when a friend of mine sent me this link. When I saw it was my new car being questioned I nearly puked!!! Until I saw the forum I was completely happy with my new baby. I have been looking for about 1 1/2 years for the right car and it always seemed to elude me. Some just plain went for too much or the one I really wanted at Legendary Motorcar in June I missed by 24 hrs. because I waited to phone them instead of E-mailing them immediately.To make a long story short, I thought I missed this one as well when it first went off e-bay. When my wife found it relisted I took it as fate. I jumped on this one. To my novice knowledge I was satisfied everything was proper. I once vowed to not buy w/o docs but somehow I felt secure with this one. Documentation always seemed to put the price up just out of my reach. BUYER BEWARE!!! No one but myself to blame for my now bleeding ulcer and baggy eyes. I want to make it clear I don not blame the seller in any way. I think some of you know who he is and I want to make it clear, every option was put before me to verify things and I opted for blind faith. Is there anyone who can share some insight to how big a mistake I've made or not made. Regardless, I intend to enjoy this car to the fullest. It's only money right! I can drive this puppy without fear of depreiciation. I intend on using AAAuto Transport to get it here. Cheapest, and most helpfull out of 40 phone calls. Any Red FLAGS on this decision? Hope to get more sleep tonight. Thanks, Gord

I will try to work it out with gord for a positive outcome. sm
Old 02-21-2006, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will try to work it out with gord for a positive outcome. sm

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a great idea
<font color="#00FF00">1970 Z/28</font>
Old 02-21-2006, 02:19 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

By the way Ken that doesn't sound like lawyereze. If the seller had spoken with an attorney, I'm sure he would have been advised to make no statements regarding his belief that the vin stamp is suspect. An admission that is patently ommitted from the original desc. on e-bay. It is one thing to honestly be in the dark about an issue and quite another to have suspicion about an issue and fail to disclose the same. Hope that wasn't too much lawyereze. Mitch

[/ QUOTE ]

Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 02-21-2006, 02:52 AM

Hey guys lets all take a deep breath here!!!!!! This has gotten a little out of control. I have just gotten off the phone with the seller, he's always treated me in the most forthcoming manner, with respect, and honesty. I will concede that I was not the most educated buyer when I bought the car and am still learning today. Ultimately, I was the one who bought the car, if I had been a better educated buyer at the time, I may not have. Regardless, it's my responsibility. The seller and I are taking steps to work this issue out. He has taken some harsh criticism here and for that I am sorry. That was not my intent. I was using this site to educate myself, not to bash the seller!!! He talked to me and is treating me with the utmost respect, and deserves the same in return. I need to clear some issues up that have been raised, so the onus is on me to do so, I will get to this as soon as I can. Lets all take a collective deep breath and stop jumping to conclusions, O.K.