Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-27-2017, 03:44 PM

Thanked 136,488 Times in 22,778 Posts

The above stores are NOT correct! Both France and the UK plan to ban CONVENTIONAL Gas & Diesel cars. What they want is HYBRID cars only:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...sel-cars-2040/
Old 07-27-2017, 11:12 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Lee,

If they are not planning to do this why do these stories keep on appearing?

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ustion-engine/

Also Germany voted last October to maintain track to meet the 2030 agenda mandate with no delay:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...gines-by-2030/
Old 07-27-2017, 11:18 PM

The risk here is that performance cars as we know them will soon be regulated and thus banned.

And no I do not think an emasculated hybrid is a performance car on par with internal combustion technology stock or modified. I think we all want to hand this hobby down to the kids right?
Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
Lee,

If they are not planning to do this why do these stories keep on appearing?

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ustion-engine/

Also Germany voted last October to maintain track to meet the 2030 agenda mandate with no delay:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...gines-by-2030/
The stories keep appearing because it is "high drama" but they are not factual. Typical of the media to get it wrong.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
The risk here is that performance cars as we know them will soon be regulated and thus banned.

And no I do not think an emasculated hybrid is a performance car on par with internal combustion technology stock or modified. I think we all want to hand this hobby down to the kids right?
Do not confuse what is going on in Europe with the USA. France is almost the same size as Texas with a population of 67 million people - almost 3X that of Texas. And of those 67M almost 65M live in metropolitan areas. Air pollution is definitely a problem.

Here in the USA, we have a much greater tolerance for air pollution from cars. Plus only about 25% of the USA has access to mass transit.

And what are you worried about? AFAIK one of the Tesla electric cars can kick the crap out of any of the 1960/1970s muscle cars hands down. BTW - spare me the argument concerning exhaust noise . . . Muscle cars are all about 1/4 mile ETs.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:06 PM

Lee,

I am worried about this, and I think you should be too:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...rd-automakers/

In working with Hemmings, The HVA, and our partner groups that are all interested in the preservation of our automotive heritage - these developments are alarming.

Oh by the way lets look at some Tesla facts:

Trips take dramatically longer

You are continually stopping to find a super charger so that means you have to plan your route around the infrastructure on an approved Tesla route which is sketchy.

Right now an 8 hour trip in a Gasoline car on a Tesla approved route that has superchargers - installed takes 12 hours to complete in a Tesla.

Finally that world beating performance that will "Kick the crap out of our cars" drops off as the battery discharges. You hit it once there is your best run. You hit it multiple times your ET drops quickly.

Now just where did I get this info? Directly from a GM engineer up at the tech center in May. They had one plugged in and were studying it so I asked him about it.

Back to topic, from the link above we should be concerned now here in the USA about California and their intentions concerning the Internal Combustion Engine.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:06 AM

I am not worried at all. I am 66 years old. I will be dead before any of what you are linking to actually happens.

There are a few things to consider though. Current battery technology is not enough. There has to be a revolutionary, not evolutionary breakthrough. Plus you have the increased strain on electric grids which will have to be upgraded to handle the additional needs of electric cars. And BTW there are two parts to these bans: first is all new cars can't have an ICE. Then you have to deal with all the existing ICE equipped cars. It will take decades before they are traded in for a new model.

And then you have Big Oil. You really think they will sit by and do nothing?

California has always "lead the charge" when it comes to auto emissions. They had the A.I.R. system two years before it became mandatory. Yet CA is still today referred to as the "Smog State."

Politicians can make great speeches but the voters control what happens. And if there is one state in the USA that is dependent on the car for transportation it's CA.

Everyone likes "going green" until their life is disrupted by it. Then they holler and scream at the top of their lungs.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:06 AM

I want to keep politics out of the thread, I simply want to keep you informed.

If you live in the states of:

California
Oregon
Washington
Colorado
Arizona
New Mexico
Minnesota
Illinois
Michigan
Vermont
New Hampshire
Rhode Island

You live in a state that has decided to follow UN Agenda 2030 on a Voluntary basis.

Keep a sharp eye on evolving legislation in these states concerning our cars.

Within the country as a whole there are roughly 115 cities that are "Paris in waiting" meaning they are well along the path of placing plans that will attempt to ban or tax or place limits on when such a vehicle can be operated.

For those wondering Agenda 2030 is the so called "Paris Accord".
Old 08-05-2017, 10:28 PM

They are outlawing the sale of any NEW fossil fueled vehicles in 2040. It isn't much different than when the banned leaded gas and made new cars have catalytic converters. or how withing the next 6 years all cars will be required to get 50mpg. They told us that we couldn't buy a new car with a 12:1 compression big block that made 450hp and burned leaded gas. We conformed,and they even went so far as to remove the leaded gas that we needed to run our existing cars on. In 5 years you will be reading on Camaro forums about how to work on your electric hybrid supplimental motor on your 4 cylinder Z/28. Somehow or another we always end up conforming to their rules. No doubt that if by 2050 someone owns a petrol burning vehicle they won't be able to find fuel for it and will be mixing concoctions in their garages to keep them running.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
They are outlawing the sale of any NEW fossil fueled vehicles in 2040. It isn't much different than when the banned leaded gas and made new cars have catalytic converters. or how withing the next 6 years all cars will be required to get 50mpg. They told us that we couldn't buy a new car with a 12:1 compression big block that made 450hp and burned leaded gas. We conformed,and they even went so far as to remove the leaded gas that we needed to run our existing cars on. In 5 years you will be reading on Camaro forums about how to work on your electric hybrid supplimental motor on your 4 cylinder Z/28. Somehow or another we always end up conforming to their rules. No doubt that if by 2050 someone owns a petrol burning vehicle they won't be able to find fuel for it and will be mixing concoctions in their garages to keep them running.
You think they'll be making hybrid, or electrical, conversion kits for 69 COPO Camaro's, or will everything before agiven date be grandfathered?