Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-15-2017, 10:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I remember doing that at my 1st home. My neighbors were watching and my wife and I got a round of applause when the stump was freed!

Option B, may have been to tie the Suburban to it and pull it out in low gear. Option A seems much safer!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:36 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Yeah option B is not an option after the number of youtube videos I've seen of things flying into the back of the pull vehicle when they finally let loose. That, and the fact that we had a downpour last night which would have turned the front yard into a mudbog-a-palooza-fest for all the neighbors to enjoy.

Last edited by njsteve; 07-16-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:10 PM

Finished the autopsy today on the old engine. Here's some photos.

Pulled the heads off. Some of the chambers have the normal cracks between the valves. GM considered this "normal" wear in their TSB.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2017, 08:14 PM

The valve covers were immaculate. (The black painted one is the NOS cover replaced during the headgasket job in 2013)

Camshaft and lifters looked nice - normal wear.

Looks like the cam bearings were showing copper on all of them.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 PM

The upper halves of the main bearings all were flaking like the lower halves.

You can see the difference in the main cap mating area where the crack goes through the bolt hole.

Looks like most of this stuff is going to the scrapman in the next few weeks. The old mill had a good life. Gonna be sad to see the big ol' hunk of iron go.
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 07-23-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:21 PM

Looks to e FUBAR to me ... TAZ
Old 07-25-2017, 12:17 PM

Yeah. I guess running 22 to 1 compression for 22 years is a bit stressful for the too-thin main web area. Seems like the pistons were trying to shove the crankshaft out the bottom of the block. The new blocks were redesigned to handle this stress (and made out of a different iron formula, too.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:40 PM

I remember when my uncle bought a new Olds with a diesel -- they sold him a separate "insurance" policy for the engine ... I asked him why he thought that was necessary? Yup -- less than a year later it spit the crank out the bottom of the motor ... TAZ

He sold that thing ...
Old 07-28-2017, 01:08 AM

Just for comparison sake I'd thought I'd post a good oil analysis.

Just got the oil analysis today for my 1989 John Deere 185 riding mower. I bought it used in 1990 and have been mowing our couple of acres for over two and a half decades since. I tricked both kids into learning how to drive by making them mow the lawn for years with this thing. They then proceeded to break everything breakable on the tractor but it stills keeps going. For the longest time I thought my daughter had a kickback scheme going with the local JD dealer. She'd break something - like the hub out of the wheel and I would bring it into the dealer and the parts guy would usually say "I have never seen one of those break before." And then I'd pay a ton for a new wheel, bracket, pulley, etc. I have since resorted to ebay for a lot of used parts since the dealer prices have gotten insane.

I change the oil every year or two whether it needs it or not. It runs a Kawasaki engine. Looks like Blackstone likes this sample from their comments. Interesting how they noted a high silicon result from possible dirty air filter. Turns out the air filter is clean but there is a big gap between the air cleaner duct and the carb inlet that is letting a bunch of unfiltered (dusty) air get through. Time to get out the duct tape and seal that up.
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 07-28-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:42 PM

Just got back from the vacation trip to Lake Placid. Total mileage on the new engine is around 1,200 miles. The highway mileage on the uphill route to upstate NY was 17.0 mpg. The "city" fuel mileage for the 200 miles around town while we were up there, was 14.5 mpg.

I changed the oil the last night when we got home and saved a sample to send in for baseline analysis. Magnetic drain plug was clean.

I just got back from filling the tank to the top. The fully loaded return trip (downhill from 2,000 foot elevation) got us 18.31 mpg highway. A new record! Not bad for a 8600 lb GVW Suburban with 4.10 gears and Yokohama Geolander 265/75x16 tires

The truck ran flawlessly. No noises, glitches, twitches, drips, etc. I am very pleased with the results and the new low compression AM/GEP engine. Very smooth running at speed.
Attached Images