Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: They are still out there

I agree with Bergy. Charlie was one of the first people I thanked when I posted on the other thread. I would never have had the chance to own this car if it had not been for Charlie starting the thread and this site itself.
It is going to be a lot of fun.
Jamie
Old 10-28-2015, 12:12 PM

Thanked 1,042 Times in 331 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: livettes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob has been nice enough to invite me to display this car in his Barnfind Showcase at MCACN! I have shown cars several times at this event but never in the Barnfind Showcase which is always one of my favorites.
I would hope anyone who has interest in the story on this car would come by and take a good look. I would appreciate any opinions or advice.
I am glad to have the opportunity to expose the car before the restoration starts so there will be no questions about what it is. What's there what's not. It is what it is.
As for the question of the vin plate showing up on another car. IMHO I think that is very unlikely. If the vin plate had been sold or moved to another car for any reason than it is only logical that the trim tag would have been moved as well. It is obvious that this car was a race car and the firewall and cowl were cut for the down bars on the roll cage. The dash would have had to be cut or removed as well. The dash that is in the car has not been cut and there is every indication it has been replaced.
So it seems very logical to me that when the car was put back on the street the cut up or missing dash was replaced with a salvage one and the vin plate removed because it did not match the car or title.
This is only my theory but it is the only one that makes sense to me. I am out of town until tomorrow night but I will post the photos of the holes in the firewall and cowl that pointed me in this direction.
Jamie </div></div>

Gee...do you think this one will get any attention at the MCACN show? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]

Thanks for accepting the invite Jamie, and get ready...your jaw is going to be tired from talking about this awesome discovery!

Yep...yet another reason that the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals show is an <span style="font-style: italic">absolute must do</span> event!

Bashton
www.mcacn.com
Old 10-28-2015, 01:11 PM

I can attest that the Barn Finds section is one of the best places to show your car :-) It's always packed back in that corner.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:52 AM

do some detective work previous owners, the shop that may have done the cage, you may find out that the vin tag may still be laying in an old toolbox or packed away in a previous owners paperwork, if it pops up it will be like hitting the lottery!! good luck with the project.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:08 AM

These are some of the photos I took the Monday night after the car arrived. I hope they show what I was able to see.
The first one is of the VIN on the upper cowl. Like I said they cut right through the middle of it but you can still make out 9N616431
Next is the Trim Tag with one of the original rivets still hanging on.
A sideways shot of the firewall piercing.
The cut out area of the upper cowl. This is before I removed the paint to show the VIN. You can see some Lemans Blue.
The next one was taken from inside the car and shows the area that was cut for the down bar on the drivers side.
The last is of the dash that is in it now. You can see part of the hole in the firewall behind it. The angle would have made it necessary to cut at least a good part of the dash out.
I hope these help explain the theories I have arrived at so far.
I am interested if anyone has any thoughts or would like to see any other areas.
Thanks, Jamie
Old 10-29-2015, 02:16 AM

Old 10-29-2015, 02:15 PM

Gives new meaning to &quot;everything must go&quot;. Rally cool to see the progression of the cars evolution unearthed. Im now in the same boat buying a race car with history in Super Stock. trying to figure out how to restore it. Best of luck
Old 10-29-2015, 07:42 PM

Great find! Can't wait to see it at MCACN.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the update on the arrival of the &quot;COLONIAL&quot; emblem for your car.

... Glad you could use it

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2015, 11:08 PM

Jamie - that 1/2 sawed off VIN is precious - thank god that it is still visible to put a lot of IF situations
to rest. Now - lets find that VIN tag!

68 COPO Camaro 9737 non-converted YENKO
69 YENKO SC Camaro, Hugger Orange - born with engine!
The Following User Says Thank You to enio45 For This Useful Post:
ZL1.FUN (07-08-2017)