Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Out of state purchase

Wanted opinions on what has worked well for others as paying for and getting the title on something like an ebay car. If the car will be shipped from someone you dont know, do you wire a payment (maybe PayPal but never done anything this high priced?) Then have them over night the title before the car is shipped? Didn't buy anything yet just trying to be prepared
Old 03-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to 68bronze

Hi Bill i have bought a few cars out of state, what works for me is a wire as a payment for the car, get them to send you a email of the deal, vin# etc. and get them to over night your title, PS if you do the wire you can have the bank on both ends explain or note that's what these funds are for. safe for both sides. good luck
Old 03-12-2018, 11:41 PM

Also, its a good idea to go and look at the vehicle in
Person. If not then have someone you trust look at it.
Saves alot of potential headaches.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:23 AM

Thanked 1,596 Times in 490 Posts
Post good advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Chevy II View Post
I wouldn't buy a car from an unknown source without a personal inspection so that condition/originality are verified.

measure twice...cut once.

wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
The Following User Says Thank You to WILMASBOYL78 For This Useful Post:
dykstra (03-21-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Chevy II View Post
I have bought 5 cars sight unseen, but worked the seller over fairly well with pictures in specific places. If the seller did not photograph what I wanted and pushed back on my request I did not proceed. One exception, this seller on a 69 RS/SS Camaro Convertible traveled a lot per him and did not get me the pics I wanted. So I traveled to see the car. Within 10 minutes I seeing the car I walked. The car had filler everywhere and the top would not go down. The best option is to go see the car...for sure. Second as one mentioned earlier. Have a trusted set of eyes look it over.
Regarding payment, I like to have the seller overnight me the title, POP, build sheet or something of value after I send him a deposit. You are at risk if you send a deposit, but at least you are not out a large sum if you just give a deposit. Try to limit the deposit to as little as possible. Try to get something from the seller that is meaningful in case the deal goes sideways. That is my strategy.
69 L71 Roadster Survivor
69 L46 Roadster Survivor (Sold)
69 Z/28 RS
69 Dodge Charger R/T
70 W30 442 Auto Air Survivor
2016 Z06 Coupe M7
70 AAR Cuda (Sold)
69 L78 Chevelle
The Following User Says Thank You to sixt9rsx33 For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixt9rsx33 View Post
I have bought 5 cars sight unseen, but worked the seller over fairly well with pictures in specific places. If the seller did not photograph what I wanted and pushed back on my request I did not proceed. One exception, this seller on a 69 RS/SS Camaro Convertible traveled a lot per him and did not get me the pics I wanted. So I traveled to see the car. Within 10 minutes I seeing the car I walked. The car had filler everywhere and the top would not go down. The best option is to go see the car...for sure. Second as one mentioned earlier. Have a trusted set of eyes look it over.
Regarding payment, I like to have the seller overnight me the title, POP, build sheet or something of value after I send him a deposit. You are at risk if you send a deposit, but at least you are not out a large sum if you just give a deposit. Try to limit the deposit to as little as possible. Try to get something from the seller that is meaningful in case the deal goes sideways. That is my strategy.
I would never release a title without having received full payment. If the purchaser doesn't want to travel to inspect the vehicle, that's his prerogative, but at that point it's on him to take the risk, not me.

I've done a ton of transactions both ways and have never had a problem. As mentioned, wire transfer with documentation of what the transfer is for, I believe, is the best way.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:13 AM

I hire a local attorney. Title and paperwork plus the car delivered to a storage yard in my name.
Usually costs around $250.
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:41 PM

Thanked 1,364 Times in 662 Posts

I've bought and sold several cars and motorcycles on eBay. I've never done an in-person inspection, but I guess I've been lucky as everything I've gotten was as-stated by the seller. I use PayPal for the deposit generally because if you use it in conjunction with eBay, you get certain guarantees regarding the transaction and the funds sent. A lot of times the seller has their preference or requirements for payments, but I prefer sending them a bank check. I work in banking and sending a wire generally gives you the least amount of recourse as once the wired funds are gone, there is limited possibility of getting them back (which is why international scammers always request a wire transfer). At least with a bank check, there is a trail of where the money went and sometimes a little time to play with before it's cleared and the funds are gone.

One thing I watch (hasn't been mentioned but I'm sure everyone pays attention to this) is their feedback on eBay. That is very telling. Bad, limited, or no feedback are huge signs of a seller who may not be able to be trusted and probably not worth working with unless you can do the in-person inspection. And obviously, if possible, get the in-person, friend or paid inspection done as that's the safest but I've done OK with not having them done. Probably just lucky as there are a lot of scammers on eBay.
John 10:30
Old 03-13-2018, 03:06 PM

I have bought 3 cars sight unseen. From guys on this site (LOL). In very case the cars exceeded my expectations and were better than described.
1965 Pontiac Lemans
Old 03-13-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCOPO View Post
I have bought 3 cars sight unseen. From guys on this site (LOL). In very case the cars exceeded my expectations and were better than described.
This is a high end low risk site. And everybody knows most everyone.
I would feel safe here.

Too many horror stories to take chances with someone you don't know. Anything can happen.
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.
The Following User Says Thank You to L78steve For This Useful Post:
dykstra (03-21-2018)