Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-04-2015, 11:53 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts
Default 1969 Camaro Special Order Paint Process

<span style="text-decoration: underline">I spent quite a bit of time looking into the EO mystery as presented only to be too late to get in before the lock.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">What got me thinking is three statements made about the car over at team Camaro in 2012 as follows:</span>

The Restorer said: <span style="font-weight: bold">&quot;At the time of the appraisal we looked there and behind a door panel and both places looked silver&quot;.

&quot;Later on after tearing the vinyl top off it looked more reddish silver (look at the photo earlier in the post) but i didn't think much of it&quot;.

&quot;Then after getting the story from Clem i started to look harder, and found the color under the tar on top of the saddle bag area, on the wiper transmission, on the front inside edge of the fender's, on the heads of some of the door hinge bolts, and on the tail pan underneath the bondo&quot;. </span>

A person replying said: <span style="font-weight: bold">&quot;Whatever you found on the wiper transmission is not original. Was installed after paint; never had overspray&quot;.</span>

Another person then replied: <span style="font-weight: bold">&quot;Brad - understand your dilemma. Any chance that the car was resprayed Evening Orchid over the Cortez Silver soon after delivery, hence why original owner may have thought it was EO from the Dealership? Would also explain why no EO under roofrail w/strips, and the overspray on the wiper trans arms&quot;....</span>
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

With a picture of the car I consulted with two Norwood Production Superintendents that were in plant in 1969:

<span style="font-weight: bold">First up Fisher Body</span>

Q: Tell Me about special paint cars?

A. We hated them a real pain in the ass to build.

Q. Why?

A. All of our in plant chemistry was engineered, meaning primers were designed to work for color match with approved sourced paints. Anything else was out in the wild.

Q Can you expand on that?

A. Yea, the SP cars usually used Jobber grade paint that was locally sourced. Complicating matters was that it was a pot job, which interrupted the normal function of the line and with Union classification was normally done with ARO's. Two guys - one on the right and one on the left hand spraying the paint -- dragging pots.

Q What about color match?

A. Most of the time one side of the car did not match the other especially with the lighter colors. One guy would spray it light, the other guy would spray it heavy, coverage and paint color was dependent on how the paint worked with the primer. Some better some not so good. There was no chemistry validation... . In a production setting we relied on engineered processes that confidence was not there all the time on a SP job.

Q. Who mixed/tinted the paint?

A Paint shop. Color chips by eye or we could get it premixed by a local jobber.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Next Chevrolet Chassis side</span>

Q: Tell Me about special paint cars?

A. Pain in the ass.

Q. Why?

A. Sheetmetal match was nearly impossible.

Q how did you build them?

A. Sheetmetal was specified install in primer.

Q So the front end met the car in Primer?

A. Yes and built out on the final line in primer.

Q. How was the car finished?

A. Car was sent to AGR where the trim was removed from the front end to the fullest extent practicable, and then the paint Fisher left in the trunk was used to match the front end in. This was again a problem as we had to match Fisher's Primer to get the top coat to match and often they forgot to give us the primer. Remember we were two separate divisions then. Next was the oven where we did the best we could to get reflow and a gloss match but there was only so much we could do. These paint jobs were often terrible with high customer dissatisfaction.

Q. What about overspray in areas under the hood- at AGR?

A. Sure. Think Earl Sheib quality. The hood was popped to get the edges..so yes they taped it off the best they could but these were done very fast.

Q. Did the AGR Process change much through the years?

A. A bit when we switched to Towveyor, but we still painted cars in AGR one after the other right up to close of the plant.

Conclusion:

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The Picture Below is AGR in 1982. In this case I believe William and Jerry saw a bad quality paint job. I believe Clem and his wife were the recipients of a bad quality paint job that was likely a bit on the light side. I believe all parties have acted in good faith and the recollections of these two workers place this situation in proper prospective. The car in question was EO just a light EQ and poorly mixed, poorly matched, and perhaps on the inconsistent side in coloration to boot. The wiper transmission overspray as reported by the restorer is consistent with an AGR front end paint job</span>

Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 45547.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-05-2015, 12:04 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 1969 Camaro Special Order Paint Process

Thanks Phil, very interesting. Never picked up on the wiper trans OS when reading those older threads.

Mike
Old 08-05-2015, 12:12 AM

Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,145 Posts

Awesome research,but I'm confused about these quotes vs. what you followed up with.

~Restorer:&quot;Then after getting the story from Clem i started to look harder,and found the color under the tar on top of the saddle bag area,on the wiper transmission,on the front inside edge of the fender's,on the heads of some of the door hinge bolts,and on the tail pan underneath the bondo&quot;.

~Team Camaro:&quot;Whatever you found on the wiper transmission is not original.Was installed after paint; never had overspray&quot;.

~Phil:&quot;The wiper transmission overspray as reported by the restorer is consistent with an AGR front end paint job.&quot;

So was the wiper transmission installed before or after they painted it?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 AM

Rick,

Trying to abide as to Charley's wishes to the fullest extent that I can. He does not want this thread going full retard like the last one did.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:27 AM

I hope the people who believe the car was painted EO at the dealer as mrs clem worked there are not allowed to vote in our elections as they are certifiably nuts. I can not understand why the experts can not admit they made a mistake after all the evidence came out.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:43 AM

I know in the past I have spoken in absolutes on the wiper transmission issue... I was wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to do the research on this Phil.

To answer Mr70

The wiper transmission was installed on cars by fisher was after the body was painted, however in the case of SPL Paint the front ends were installed as fully assembled primed units then in repair booth they were stripped of trim to a practical point taped and painted reassembled and finished.

Normally we say as an absolute that over spray on a wiper transmission would not have happened at the factory as this goes to show you, the only absolute is there are no absolutes.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, &amp; other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 08-05-2015, 12:54 AM

Correct... Rick I did not answer in detail as I was diving to the store.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:05 AM

Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,145 Posts

OK,that makes sense.
..to both of you. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2015, 01:12 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope the people who believe the car was painted EO at the dealer as mrs clem worked there are not allowed to vote in our elections as they are certifiably nuts. I can not understand why the experts can not admit they made a mistake after all the evidence came out. </div></div>

Here we go again. Can we please keep this topic about the special paint procedure and keep the hate out of it. I too have a -B paint code car and I would like this tread to stay open so I can learn more.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:33 AM

I'm still a lover of EO..

Being an early 60's car fan and the significance of it being an SS only color at the time ads to my opened sense of taste.

I would love to have a 1965 Nova SS 327 300 HP speed EO car.

So..... with that said.....

Do we have more lovers or haters at this point?

Oh by the way... My vote counts as two!