Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old5.0 View Post
Yeah, I remember back in the late 80's MCR testing a 350 Iroc and running a 14.2 or 14.1, and all that jibes with the fastest 5.0 road tests I remember from back then:

85: Autoweek, 85 GT 5 speed car with A/C, 14.38@92

86: Car Craft, 86 LX coupe, 5 speed, no A/C 14.33@97 (with 2.73 gears)

87: Cars Illustrated, 87 LX hatch, no A/C 5 Speed radio delete, 13.73@101(?)

I also recall SSDI going 14 flat at 100 mph in a stock 87 hatch with air and Hot Rod (maybe) going 13.9x in a stripper LX coupe.

I suppose you could argue that those results aren't typical, but you could make that argument about things like 12 second Hemi cars, as well. Depends on how they're optioned, maintained and driven. I've been messing around with these piles of junk for the better part of 30 years, and putting a near stock Fox into the 12's just isn't particularly difficult. I can't imagine what would make it so hard (or near impossible) on a 3rd Gen, but I don't know near as much about them.
My friend had a '92 B4C, (police package), 1LE, RS. It was a 5.7 automatic. It has to have been the fastest bone stock 3rd gen Camaro I've ever ridden in.

He took it to the track once. It was his first time. As he was getting in line a bunch of 4th gen guys saw him and started to laugh. All they could see were the RS badges and figured they'd witness another 17 second 1/4 mile. First run and first run of the owner's life - 13.6 seconds!

The 4th gen guys stopped laughing.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
I can't imagine it stopped them too quick. A bone stock 93 Z will do 13.9-14.1 in the 1/4. A Moroso filter kit, SLP air diverter in the throttle body, MSD 6AL, Blaster coil and strut tower brace took me to an easy and consistent 13.1 while still getting 25+ mpg on the highway. Imagine a cam, headers, head work and a tune.
Those B4Cs were nice. My 3rd gen '84 Z28 5 spd was a slug IMO It didn't matter. I still loved it and would love to have it back as long as I could take all the vacuum/emissions crap off the motor.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 08-16-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
My friend had a '92 B4C, (police package), 1LE, RS. It was a 5.7 automatic. It has to have been the fastest bone stock 3rd gen Camaro I've ever ridden in.

He took it to the track once. It was his first time. As he was getting in line a bunch of 4th gen guys saw him and started to laugh. All they could see were the RS badges and figured they'd witness another 17 second 1/4 mile. First run and first run of the owner's life - 13.6 seconds!

Back in 93, the father of the girl I was dating at the time bought a brand new 93 Z. Burgundy red stick car, and the very first 4th gen in town, and it caused quite a stir when he rumbled into Sonic that Friday night looking for his first victim. My 89 Mustang had a few mods and turned 12.60's on 8" cheaters so he knew better than to pick on me. Instead he chose another kid with a 92 Z28. It was a beautiful car, a Heritage edition or something like that. Black with red stripes, 350 and every option under the sun, as I recall. It was also stone stock.

We all loaded up and followed them to the spot, looking forward to the epic beatdown we were about to witness. It was epic, all right, just not the way we figured it would be. The 92 crushed the 93 by a car to a car and a half in three straight.

On the pure stock/PureStock/"pure stock" argument, I dunno. Lot of confusion. A 5-speed 5.0 without A/C can go mid-13's with nothing but a timing bump and throwing the intake silencer in the trash, assuming a very good driver. The limiter is the tire. Put one on 7-inch slicks, and it'll go 12.99 with not much besides the aforementioned timing bump, a good shifter and 4.30 gears, but I suppose we're getting in the weeds a little here.

Has anyone really explored the potential of the TPI 3rd Gen package in stock/Pure Stock/Day 2 condition? Be interesting to find out. I'm thinking they might surprise a few people.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:05 AM

Maybe a little off topic, but my 1988 CHP 5.0 coupe brought $45,000 in 1994. A doctor from Huntington Beach bought it from the owner of Steeda, Dario Orlando. Pretty good money in '94 for an 80's car.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old5.0 View Post
Has anyone really explored the potential of the TPI 3rd Gen package in stock/Pure Stock/Day 2 condition? Be interesting to find out. I'm thinking they might surprise a few people.

I'd be interested in hearing someone chime on this as well.

One thing for sure, the later 3rd gens, like '89-'92, with G92 and N10 are faster than most people expect. Free mods, like bumping timing, opening airboxes, etc., should make 13's possible.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
I special ordered this in 1989 and still own it. It's a 1989, G92, LB9, 5 speed, with N10 dual cats, oil cooler, Aussie BW 3.45 9 bolt and DX3 decal delete. I figure if you put it in a time machine and sent it back to 1969 it could hold it's own on the street in a straight line with most muscle cars of the day and annihilate anything from anywhere on a curvy road.

One little option or lack thereof (C41-air conditioning delete) would have triggered the 1LE package---Fuel tank baffles - Corvette front bakes- deleted fog lamps- aluminum drive shaft - and made the total 1LE production 112.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 08-17-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstgenaddict View Post
One little option or lack thereof (C41-air conditioning delete) would have triggered the 1LE package---Fuel tank baffles - Corvette front bakes- deleted fog lamps- aluminum drive shaft - and made the total 1LE production 112.
Actually, this was supposed to be 1LE number 112, the last one built for 1989 - it was ordered on the last week you could make a factory order, in fact IIRC the second to last day.

At the very last moment I decided that I should have AC because it was intended to be my DD and I was tired of showing up to work sweaty in my shirt and tie with the non-AC GLH I was driving.

Who knew 28 years later it would only have 11K miles?

BTW, as more of these '89-'92 cars are having their tanks dropped, it seems that fuel tank baffles were more common than once thought. Mine may have it, who knows.

Last edited by Chazman; 08-17-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Many of the R7U and 1LE specific options first introduced in 87 (R7U cars) and 1988 with the introduction of the 1LE package became running changes in the line as they went forward - even the JG1 Aluminum Driveshaft was around ahead of that time, developed to help in weight reduction & CAFE regulations.

The one assembly that did not become mainstream were the front spindle, bearing, caliper and rotor assemblies derived from the corvette & C10 truck programs. Those remained 1LE (& TTA) specific.
And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-18-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Many of the R7U and 1LE specific options first introduced in 87 (R7U cars) and 1988 with the introduction of the 1LE package became running changes in the line as they went forward - even the JG1 Aluminum Driveshaft was around ahead of that time, developed to help in weight reduction & CAFE regulations.

The one assembly that did not become mainstream were the front spindle, bearing, caliper and rotor assemblies derived from the corvette & C10 truck programs. Those remained 1LE (& TTA) specific.

One interesting thing I've noticed is, all B4C 1LEs I've seen, have the steel driveshaft and not the JG1.

Last edited by Chazman; 08-18-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:29 PM

Back in December of 1990 I heard that Chevrolet lost the rights to the IROC name, I always wanted one and did not care for the 91's large rear spoiler. Wanted a blue 350 G92 car, local dealer ended up finding me one in Alberta. Still have the car, has only 6000 miles on it. Did not intend for it to have this low of mileage but life happened (kids, job changes, house renos etc).

I would not say the car was lightening fast but it ran great for the day. Early 90's ran it at the strip on a 92 degree day, poor traction but ran a14.5, fastest 5 litre Mustang GT ran a 15. Ran against a couple Buick GN on the street, they would have me by a car length in a 1/4 mile but after that I would pull ahead, in a 3 mile stretch they would be far behind. Had the car close to 140 mph and let off.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 70zd28 For This Useful Post:
Chazman (08-19-2017), HawkX66 (08-19-2017)