Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 11-14-2002, 02:00 AM

Default KICK PANEL REMOVAL

Attempting to reomve my early style kick panels fronm my 69 Yenko Camaro with no luck (car is not disassembled - carpet pulled back). One of the previous owners installed speakers in these panels. There are two lips on the duct that must clear the hole in the car side panel. I can get the first lip out (not a full lip only about 3/4 around the duct) but cannot get the last lip past the car cut out. Started with the passenger side have not tried the driver side - appears I will need to remove parking brake bracket for that one. Any hints would be appreciated. Very frustrated!
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-14-2002, 03:21 AM

Default Re: KICK PANEL REMOVAL

Within the last few days, Dean Guccione did a kick panel removal from a big block '69 Camaro, and I'm sure he will be glad to share his experience with you, as it was an interesting experience for him. He is a GREAT wrench and a nice guy, and can no doubt give you some insight on the job. His website is...

http://69camaro.20m.com/

(Sorry I can't remember how to make it clickable). His email and phone data is on his website. Tell him Jim sent you...

JB
Old 11-14-2002, 05:31 PM

Sorry I don't have any sure fire remedies for this one. But I recall how difficult it was when I removed mine about 10 years back. My removal is like yours. I only had the carpet pulled back. Persistance, some giggling and getting them around the dash eventually got them out. And yes, I had to loose up the hand brake lever. Installing was equally annoying. Good luck. I feel your pain cause I actually need to take mine out again and get new ones due to broken vent cabling. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 06:16 PM

I'm no expert but I recently installed a pair of restored kick panels in my 67 car, seeing as how a previous owner had also fitted speakers into the original panels.

On the passenger side, I had to first remove the heater plenum assembly. You might be able to force out the old kick panel without removing the heater plenum but you'll find it next to impossible to put the kick panel back in. Also a good opportunity to check your heater core for leaks or corrosion, or maybe to install a new set of seals.

On the driver side, you need to remove the high beam floor switch and move the parking brake assembly out of the way. To move the parking brake ass'y out of the way, try first removing the single screw that bolts it to the underside of the dash. If you still can't remove the kick panel, you will have to loosen or remove the parking brake assembly's nuts on the engine side of the firewall. You shouldn't need to disconnect the parking brake cable itself.

If you're really anal (I know SS427 is lurking out there), there's a place where you can find gray replacement sealant that matches what the factory uses to seal around the backside of the kick panel duct. The product is called Permagum and it's used by the HVAC community to seal refrigerators and air conditioners.