Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 05:06 PM

Default 68 nova ss 396 frame mounts

hey guys recently got my other 68 nova ss 396 going.. problem I am having is the driveshaft front yoke area probably has only a quarter inch clearance at tunnel area. the 68 frame was beat up a little bit so I have a 69 nova front clip underneath now.i have installed 68 big block frame mounts and motor mounts..will I need to install 69 frame mounts and motor mounts ..to get proper clearance at driveshaft area..? will that make up the difference to get an inch so clearance at driveshaft ?or , do they make a tranny mount shorter that the standard 1 3/4 tranny mount.. any help appreciated. Chris Teed.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry cross members.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-24-2017, 05:36 PM

The subframes are all but identical and the 68 stands are actually taller. Sounds as if you have the wrong trans mount or the crossmember is sitting up too high for some reason. Did you put the thick washers back in the subframe when installed? Or did you put the bushings in upside down? If the washers up front weren't put in, it would acyually have given you more troubles elsewhere and more clearance at the back due to the firewall being the pivot point. If the bushings aren't on top of the subframe, its sitting way too close to the floor and you shouldn't have been able to get the crossmember in, unless it was mounted prior to subframe install.

Last edited by 69novamanrick; 11-24-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:41 PM

thanks for the input Novamanrick..it does have the thick washer at firewall subframe and will double check all subframe bushings; it has poly bushings at subframe mounts , which.. if anything would bring body slightly higher. if 69 frame mounts are lower , that would worsen the situation. the tranny mount is the standard rubber 1/3/4 high mount...wonder if anyone has had an isuues with the repop 4 speed . big block crossmember hmm..i wonder if 68 uses a taller frame mount if , they have a different size tranny mount
Old 11-27-2017, 03:58 PM

The tranny mount is the same for all years. The sub frame and motor mounts are different for 68 BB novas. I'm willing to bet if you have an aftermarket cross member I bet the offset is wrong where the trans mount sits. Take a straight edge and lay it across the offset and compare it to an original cross member. I have one I think laying around if you don't have one. I think the only difference in a small block and big block cross member is where the trans mount bolts through it offset differently. The opening isn't oval for a BBC cross member on the bottom its shaped like Talladega speedway to accommodate the offset holes.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:17 AM

Jason, I believe that is the problem.. the repop crossmember is off centered somewhat.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:51 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Chris... pictures.
Attached Images

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

You do have the 1/4 solid spacers under the front two body mounts
Old 12-01-2017, 08:11 PM

I believe he did mention there is indeed the thick washer or spacers installed at the body mounts below the firewall, although I don't recall any mention if the car had been previously wrecked, considering he mentioned the subframe was beat up. I'm bringing this to mind because I once had to replace the lower firewall body mount supports and the entire floor, due to a bad rearend wreck causing damage to the subframe, body mounts, and the floor on the Nova. Ive seen and used the repo crossmembers and didn't have this issue. I am still stumped by this issue. Still sounds to me like body mount issues on the body itself or the body mount bushings or a combo of both. If it were bushings, this would throw off the fender alignment as well I would think. I'm just as curious to learn and know the resolution to this matter.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:59 PM

only reason I changed out front clip is the 68 under at cradle/ area was pretty dinged up from years of crap banging underneath..just received another crossmember today.will let you know the outcome it does have the subframe metal spacer at firewall..keep you guys updated..took a bunch of measurements from my original 396/350 hp 68 car .. only thing I see is back of motor is about half inch higher on original car.. will let u know.Chris