Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default Birds and Bees: Operation Phoenix - 1957 T-Bird

Well, despite the innuendos on the title, there's no gratuitous sex involved. But there is birds and bees! And what I mean by that is I'm working on a 'Bird and taking a break from a 'Bee. So, that's sort of the same, right? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] Well, no it's not. But here's the latest project to come into the shop that needs attention post haste! Enter a 1957 Ford Thunderbird. I had to wrap the Super Bee in a cocoon and push it to the side since this T-Bird needs to be done by the end of October. It's for a friend who's retiring in December and I'm going to have it ready for his 65th/retirement party mid December. Why then do I need to have it done by the end of October? Simple! Because if I tell myself it needs to be done two months earlier, it'll get done on time. If I tell myself it needs to get done by December, it'll get done by March. See? I'm no scheduling wizard, but I've watched enough reality TV shows to know that nobody meets deadlines and I'm not working 29hrs a day to get something done yesterday. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] So, onto the car. I found it up in CT and it was owned by a lady who's husband owned a dealership up there. The car is a 312, PS, PW, Power seat, Town and Country AM/FM radio, and get this, even has a record player under the dash! So, what do I need to do? Paint, install power brakes, install A/C, and install new chrome trim. That's about it. So here's a few pics to get started. More to come....

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Dave
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Default Re: Birds and Bees: Operation Phoenix - 1957 T-Bird

So, the first thing is the paint. Man, this stuff is terrible. The original color of the car was Gunmetal Gray. This is an early car, and to my understanding, there were two Gunmetal Grays an N code and an H code. The lighter H code was introduced later in May of 1957. At some point the car was repainted in Wimbledon White, and while a nice color, this ain't a nice paint job.

No, that's the the Arctic Ice sheet in the Spring. That's the cracks and cheeking of 40yr old laquer. So, how do you deal with that? Simple....60 Grit, baby!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]

There, that should do it. How long did that take? Way longer than I planned, and I&quot;m only now getting the feeling back in my hand from the palm sander... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2016, 09:38 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

OK, so with everything masked off (engine bay, glass, trim, my neighbor...), I sprayed down two thick coats of the DP50LF and then after 8hrs, 3 heavy coats of DPS3055. Yeah, I know M22Mike, I already had the stuff laying around from the Bee but I promise I'll try your stuff the next time! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] I started with 180, worked some dents with the hammer and dolley, and used some fill here and there. Overall, very pleased with how straight the car is! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

The original wheel pants were pretty dinged up and the stainless, well....that was stained! So I ordered a new set of pants from Concours parts. I'm really pleased with the fitment. Nobody likes bad fitting pants! You'll look like one of those teenage kids with their lousy rock-nroll music and that butt crack hanging out the back! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img] Not real sure why that's so popular. Where was I? Oh yeah...moving on....

Old 08-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

So here's the 'Boid after some glaze, a lot more blocking with 220, and wiped down ready for another round of primer..

And here we're sitting in fresh primer awaiting the 320 block out tomorrow! Discovered a few good waves, but instead of this thing being like the Drake Passage, it's more like one of those finger lakes South of Syracuse. A little wavy, but nothing a 3ft board and a lot of sanding can't handle. I'm shocked that there isn't many dings to deal with. OK, more to come tomorrow!

Cheers
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Dave
Old 08-25-2016, 11:51 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Fun, fun, fun, til' daddy took the T-Bird away! Nice old BIRD!!!
Old 08-26-2016, 01:15 PM

Thanked 1,382 Times in 671 Posts

Love those early T-Birds as well as your humorous writing. Looking forward to seeing how this comes out as my neighbor had a charcoal gray Bird when I was a little kid (along with a black one and a copper one) and that gray one was beautiful. Is the Gun Metal gray that charcoal gray color?
John 10:30
Old 08-26-2016, 06:33 PM

Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,599 Posts

----Frank Sinatra had a charcoal 57 T-Bird with red interior (I think. Saw it auctioned.......Bill S
Old 08-27-2016, 09:10 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Yep, that's the color. And I think Sinatra's 'Boid color combo was one of the best looking in these cars. Dark Charcoal with a Red interior is classic. I'm trying to use my subtle power of persuasion to persuade the owner to let me paint it that color. But how he remembers his uncle's car, which got him hooked on T-Birds, was in Turquoise. I explained to him that Turquoise was never offered in a baby bird, and what he's thinking of was actually Blue. But, he wants the Turquoise, and it'll look pretty sharp, so that's what it'll be. Or I may just paint it Gunmetal and surprise him. See, here at Dave's Unique Musclecar Projects, or DUMP, our moto is &quot;We're not happy until you're not happy&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

&quot;Yyyyar Mateys! Ahoy ye' land lubber! Yyyarr!!!!&quot; Oh, sorry. Just so many waves around I thought I was on the Adriatic Sea. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/whistle.gif[/img] Biggest culprits? Passenger fender, driver's side rear upper quarter panel, and the hood scoop. How the heck does a dent happen in the middle of the freakin' hood??? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] Because based on how hard it is to reach that part of the hood to sand it, I'm sure it took some effort to get a dent there! Another round of guide coat (I use 3M powder with the sponge applicator) and some 320.

So why are the pics a little blury? Well, they're taken from my phone that's inside a plastic bag. And why's that? Because it's brand new and I need it to last 2yrs and if I come home with a primed up phone...well....let's just say that won't go over so well. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] So what's on deck now? The 'Boid is sitting in the final round of primer. I'll pull it out into the sun today and go over the entire car with a pencil and circle any divots, pinholes, craters, canyons, and anything else I missed. I'll unwrap it, dedustify (dedustify? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]) the entire car, and wetsand with 400, and wash it with Dawn soap, Spot prime if necessary, and then block out those touched up areas. A final wash, and a wipe down with wax/degreaser. After that, mask off the car again and it's ready for paint! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

I'll be using DCU base/clear on it. Why? Because I've noticed an improvement in my posture and back pain since I've bought the materials for this and the Bee. My wallet in my back pocket is INCREDIBLY lighter [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 08-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Looking good Dave! If you want to squeeze a 68 goat between the bird and the bee, I've got one for you. Could even use your humor to get my wife to like the car [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]