Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-18-2022, 09:28 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

My '67 L78 Chevelle had power steering...I just wanted it for some reason, so I ordered it that way. Only drum brakes though (I wish I'd spent what little money I had on power brakes at least). That car was dangerous with only drum brakes! Fortunately I saved it the few times I got squirrelly with it! :-) This is likely why the car is long gone, as I haven't had any luck over the years looking for it.

As for the deep groove pulley, it's a bit of a mystery to me as to whether or not I had it on my L78 for two reasons: First, in the few photos I have of my engine, especially the one taken when brand new - the alternator did NOT have a deep groove pulley. Jeff Helms & I discussed this at length, and all we could figure out was the guy on the line grabbed the wrong pulley! I did have the stock 37 amp alternator, as I had no accessories to speak of. So, if the same idiot on the assembly line had anything to do with the power steering pulley, he likely screwed up and my car didn't get that one either! Of course, anything L78-related in the '67 Chevelle SS is extremely rare these days (including the water pump pulley...try finding one of those!)

The reason I doubt my PS pulley was deep groove is because I threw that pulley on several occasions! Ha! I just went back and picked it up & remounted it! LOL!

That engine was a torque monster for sure!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevelle SS 396 L78 For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (03-18-2022)