Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Growing up in Chicago in the 60's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORIGLS6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img] I can't help but think that's the origin of an old phrase; &quot;No good deed goes unpunished!&quot;

</div></div>

LOL! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img]

Great story Ken! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] Thanks for sharing it! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif[/img]

RIP COPO PETE!
</span> </span>
Old 05-06-2011, 05:53 PM

I had purchased a new 63' Inpala SS in 63. Got my first real job at Illinois Tool works off Fullerton and Pulaski. Used to park the car on the street when working. After only four weeks, some dirt bag, AWOL fron the Army stoled my car. Found the body shell on the southside. The insurance conpany totaled the car. I went out and bought a new 64' but my dad said no more SS's for me. Had to wait 4 to 6 weeks back then for a factory ordered car.

Both cars were 327/300 4 speed cars maroon with black interior. Went with mods on the 64. Isky solids and kit, Hurst, curved distribitor, jetted Holey, and stock Posi rear. Of cours I did glass packs and side pipes(lakes plugs at the time). It made a nice street racer.

Have a few good stories about this car. I'll share some later. By the way, this is the car that my girl and I ran through the Elston police blockade one late Saturday night.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:27 PM

A lot of guys would look at a large car like a '62-64 Impala and think that a small block would be a slug, especially since 409s get all the glory.

I have ridden in a few 300hp 327 4-speed 62-64 full size cars. Give them a good tune and some gear, and they will run a lot harder than you'd expect! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 PM

KWIZZ, I have a 64 Impala convert story for you.....

After driving the 64 Impala for a few months, I missed the black vinyl interior that I had in my 63 SS. So I decided to contact my local midnight auto supply guys. I told them what I wanted. They said no problem, we'll call you in a few days.

Sure 'nuff, I get a call two days later. We got your goods. Come to the garage and bring your tools.

I'm there. They open the garage and behold, a 64 Impala convert with a black vinyl interior. They tell me that I'll need to do the transfer 'cause they got another job.

I'm in their 6 car garage removing both interiors when I decide to take a brewski break compliments of midnight auto. At this point, I'm under age and can't buy booze. The side door swings open and one of the midnight auto guys tells me to be very quiet, the police are outside checking some things.

I finished the brew, browned my shorts, and smoked a half pack of Camels. About 15 minutes later, the boys give me the all clear. The cops just left not bothering to check the inside of the garage.

When I realized that the sedan and hardtop rear seat was wider than the rear convert seat, I was not happy. Restored the interiors and left the garage. Told the guys not to bother with another interior. Somewhere in the brews, smokes, and soiled underwear, I lost interest in vinyl.

I don't remember the color of the donor Impala. I hope it wasn't your freind Al's ride.

Did some stupid stuff when I was a kid. This is just one example.
I have a few others that I'll share.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Midnight Auto Supply.........LOL.......I knew some of those guy's that worked in the Parking Garage in McCormick Place at the Lakefront.........They used to take orders for cars.....when somebody pulled into the parking garage with the &quot;Correct&quot; car.....well........you can figure out the rest of the story.....LOL....
Life in the &quot;Big&quot; city...............

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 05-06-2011, 10:40 PM

I remember the first time I used midnight auto supply. I was at Skips, parked, enjoying a Boston coffee. This female was driving, with her boyfriend shotgun. She backs out and nicks my driver's side headlight bezel with the rear fin of her 57 Chev.

We both get out to check the damage, at Skip's! Well long story short, her car, nothing, my 59 Impala has a dent in the bezel. The boyfriend steps up and says he'll cover the cost. Well, I say, that bezel is expensive, at least $40.00. He gives me two twentys, and we're both happy.

The next day my midnight guys say $5.00 for a replacement. I a happy camper. We agree to call when the part becomes available.

Three day later, I get my bezel. Take the old dented part off, put the replacement on. I'm once again I'm happy that my beautiful black with red interior 59 looks like new.

A few days later, I notice that my neighbors 59 four door Chev is missing a headlight bezel.

Contacted my midnight boys and told them to farm their parts a little further from home. Message received, cool out, they said.

I bought the 59 from a friend who joined the Marines. He wanted to keep the car, but his dad said to sell it. It was like new when I got it in 61, plastic seat covers and all. I borrowed $1500.00 from my dad, promising him I'd work for him without wages 'till the 59 was paid off. Great guy that my dad was, we did the deal and I kept my end of the bargain. He deeply regretted the loan after I started stacking up speeding tickets. When I had to go into the 'insurace risk pool', he said buddy you're on you own, you need to get a better paying job.

When I California raked it and installed scavenger pipes, it looked like it was right out of Hot Rod Magazine.

This was my first practice car. The car you learn everything about go-fast with, including power shifting. Corvette cam form Nickey, three duces, Hurst shifter, baby moons, Mallory dual point distributor and huge coil and Sun tach. The 283 held up well 'till i traded it for a 63 SS. I did blow the three speed once, but rebuilt it myself for pennys.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:27 AM

We used to get a lot of 'New&quot; parts from the parts guy at Hoskins Chevrolet.....his name was Art Tart.......Cam and Solid lifters out the back door.......$30.........LOL....At Nickey, we had to pay list.....(till Nickey Mike started in parts).....LOL

Old 05-07-2011, 03:23 AM

The above are all good reasons why I'd like to stay out of Chicago. Tough town.
Verne
Old 05-07-2011, 03:59 AM

At Nickey all you needed was a tax number for the parts guy and you got the big discount. I just made up a number and a shop name.

Man I can't believe how cheap real Chevy parts used to be. When I started buying Isky stuff, I had to work some o.t. for the extra bucks. Good thing my company offered all the o.t. I could use. I remember a lot of 80 hour weeks in them days.

Hey Verne, it's who you know in Chicago that made a neighborhood safe or not. If you were 'in' with the right guys, no worrys. When I had my 63 SS stolen, I was out of my safety zone, but then again, I should've used the company parking lot like everybody else.

Strange how all my old friends turned 'straight arrow' in the 70's after getting married and having a few kids. I guess we all grew up.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:50 AM

Been some years since the last post.....As I was reading thru the thread again.....There are a couple of Nickey stories........Here's one of them.....We used to go to Nickey every weekend to see what was going on in the back room with engine swaps......There's another earlier story, but this one was from the Spring of 68........I became friends with one of the Parts counter guys named Mike and his Boss Mr. Cusser.......He was a Hippie at the time.....But very knowledgeable in parts......He would always answer the phone "Nickey Mike"......So everyone knew him as Nickey Mike.......
So.......one Saturday in the spring of 68, I was sitting at the parts counter talking to Mike.......This young guy walks in and asks Mike if they had any L-88 engines in stock.....Mike said yes and he indicated he wanted to buy one and have the service department swap it into his 68 Vette with just a few hundred miles on it........It was a 427 - 400 engine.......Hydraulic cam with 3 deuces, Turbo 400.......And he wasn't happy with the performance.....He was a college student with deep pockets.....He wanted the swap done right away........Mike checked with the Service Department and they were booked for weeks.....The guy was disappointed......Mike asked if I would do the swap for the guy in my dad's garage........the guy asked how much to swap out the engines.........I told him I would do it if he gave me the old engine......said sure and wrote a check for the engine and Mike had it delivered to the garage.......the guy dropped the Vette off the following day...So....I swap everything out and I have this basically brand new 427 engine sitting in my Dad's garage.....So......A week later I go over to Dad's place and notice the engine and engine stand were gone.......Hummm!!!.....I find my Dad and ask him what happened to the engine.......He tells me that the Guy from Nickey told him they needed it back at Nickey........So....I drive over to Nickey and go into the parts department looking for Mike.......I couldn't find him so I asked his Boss Mr. Cusser where Mike was.........He told me that Mike quit and moved to California..........Never saw Mike or the Engine again..........The Education continues........

Ken