Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts
Default Looking for a Dealership in Austin, Texas

Ok here is the run down. My father passed away back in Oct. of last year. But back in Janurary of 06 he purchased a car that has been in my hometown since 1975. It is a 68 302 Camaro. It still has what I think to be the dealer emblem on the tail panel. The name of the dealership is Armstrong-Johnson in Austin, Texas. I do know that the car sold new in Texas and the car is originally a Cali car but I am hoping to find more docs for the car. Cool think about this car is that it did have the cowl plenum option. Any info about this dealer or maybe a phone number if they are still around would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Darrell

You will have to ignore the Z/28 emblem & the RS gas cap on that tail panel because it was added by the previous owner before my father purchased it.

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Default Re: Looking for a Dealership in Austin, Texas

Here is an additional question. Does Texas allow a person do a title search? If so does anyone know how I can get a hold of whoever to get the process rolling?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,843 Times in 749 Posts

I believe that the title information is only kept for eight years here in Texas. This dealer was before my time here in Ausitn, I've been here 25 years. I do know it is not in business now and hasn't been since 1982. Another member of this site was born in Austin. Do you remember this dealer, Bruce? He was buying '67 Corvettes in 1967.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Back in 2000 I did a title search in Texas and they were extremely helpful and did it all over the phone. Sorry, but I can't recall how far back it went, but call the DMV and give them your VIN and they will help out for a couple of dollars. Good luck with it!

1996 Carrera & 1993 Fat Boy
Old 05-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Banned

Well I actually called Capitol Chevrolet in Austin and according to some of the nice ladies in book keeping that the Armstrong-Johnson was a Ford dealer to the best of their memory. If that is the case then it would only make since that the car was traded in to the Ford dealer. They were also nice enough to take my vin to do a search to see if they could find anything. Keeping fingers crossed. I will give the DMV a call and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Banned

Whelp called and talked to the Texas DMV and gave them the vin and came back with nothing.. So I guess I am back to square one. Thanks again and if anyone has anything else that might work please post up I would greatly appreciate it as I have for the help I have already received. Darrell
Old 05-05-2007, 08:16 AM

The Texas DMV only goes back a few years! They actually have the information in archives but you are unable to get anyone to go there to search.I had them run a title search on my Chevelle,they went back 8 or 10 years and all I got was the information I already had which was the guy I purchased the car from.I tried to get a guy that I spoke to at the DMV to actually go where they have the archives and search.I offered to PAY REALLY WELL! He proceded to explain to me that there were way too many spiders and rodents where all the microfiche records are stored. And told me basically I didn't have enough $$$ to get him to go down there to search.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Banned

It would be nice if they would let the public go to the archives and do searches kinda like libraries do with newspapers. Even if you had to pay a fee if would be worth doing.. Oh well, one day I will find something.. If I am lucky.