Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 09-05-2017, 10:00 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
Default deep cycle battery for my mower

I have an old (about 20 years old) McLane front throw electric mower. Don't laugh (ok, laugh, just don't tell me you are laughing). It serves my pupose perfectly. Everything is replaceable, and I can still get parts. I doubt I will wear it out in my lifetime.

The only thing I hated about it initially, was the battery situation. It requres a 12 volt marine type deep cycle battery. The first few lasted two seasons at best. About 12 years (maybe 13) ago, I modified the battery holder to accept a larger Optima yellow top with 1125 CA, 900 CCA, 175 ah rating, and 155 RC. It performed flawlessly. I am sure it helped that I brought it in the temerature controlled garage over each winter and periodically kept a battery tender on it over the winters.

But, it is finally starting to get weak. I am certain I can finish this season with it, but that is about it. 13 years from one battery is pretty darn good. My dilema: the last few Optima car batteries I have purchased did not even make it to the 2 year mark. Sam's Club quit carrying the Optima because they rarely made it through the warranty period.

I believe I have confirmed that all the Optima batteries are now made in Mexico, after being bought out by Johnson Crontrols. Not interested in another Optima for this reason.

I don't mind paying a premium for a good battery. That last one was around $300 IIRC, which isn't bad considering how long it lasted. Who makes a REALLY GOOD battery? Hopefully, something comparable to my old yellow top (said deep cycle AND cranking). It CAN'T have spillable acid, because of how this mower is used. I think Sam's replaced the Optima line with Duracell. I have one in my 49 Studebaker truck, but haven't had it long enough to judge long term quality.

I know, battery use is sometimes just a personal preference. I would like some input based on your experience.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:42 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,173 Posts

Anyone use a Northstar battery?

https://northstarbattery.com/product...gm-31m?p=51226
Old 09-06-2017, 12:44 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

There are the cats Meow for batteries. http://www.odysseybatteries.com/