Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts
Default Re: ZL-1 #1 Mecum May 15 - 17

Did he buy them from the Gibb's then? Just wondering... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 AM

We have NEVER charged ANYONE for anything. That includes companies that made diecast models, any kind of paper work on ANY Fred Gibb sold cars. Diecast Model companies gave my Mom some models as she told them she didn't want ANYTHING, just happy they wanted to keep Dads name out there in a positive way. Anything anyone has gotten from us, as far as paperwork were NEVER charged, and we have looked up VIN NUMBERS for free, because we were happy to do it, and to help them with their documentation. We never charged ANYONE that my Mom gave permission to use the Fred Gibb Shield/Logo either. Happy they wanted to use it, and appreciated them asking for permission.

* 2012 Imperial Blue LS Camaro &quot;FRED GIBB TRIBUTE&quot; to: The 1969 Dusk Blue #1 ZL1 Camaro....&quot;Plain Jane&quot; - &quot;Sleeper&quot;

Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 AM

Thanks Nancy
Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,116 Times in 328 Posts

It's really nice to have folks (also legends) in our hobby that just love cars and want to help other enthusiasts. Thanks Gibb family!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nancy Gibb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We never charged ANYONE that my Mom gave permission to use the Fred Gibb Shield/Logo either. Happy they wanted to use it, and appreciated them asking for permission. </div></div>

I can attest to the veracity of that statement.
Attached Images

ZL1 #49 (Dale, Waukesha WI) Super Stock restoration by SCW; 9561AA (Walters, Hebron OH) Super Stock motor by the Grump
Old 05-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Me too Jeff. I've reproduced the Shield logo a number of times for various individuals, and ALWAYS with the understanding it was done free gratis. Helen &amp; Nancy knew I was doing this and NEVER asked for a dime so why would I charge someone? If ANYONE should benefit financially for the use of this logo it should be the Gibb family. Legal issues aside, .... it's just common courtesy.

But back to Bill, .... I received a package a year or so back and the return address was Bill Porterfield. Inside was the original carbon copy of the Dealer Inspection Sheet for my Chevelle. Bill had attached a note asking if this was for my car, and if not to please return it. It was in fact for my car so I sent Bill an email thanking him and asking is I could compensate him in any way. No reply. Strangely, I also have the Original top page of that same document that was in the glove box when I took delivery of the car. Pretty [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cool.gif[/img].
Old 05-16-2012, 02:45 PM

The Gibb family has been very good to me, I have never been asked to pay for anything by these people. But one person has been a pain in the A$$ on my car.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Bruce, I don't know if Bill P bought the paper work from the Gibbs. I also don't know if Bill P charges for the paper work ,but I do know he has made a lot of money indirectly from the paper work.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,856 Times in 998 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kim_Howie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But one person has been a pain in the A$$ on my car. </div></div>

and that as well as other acts in my opinion have done more to hurt that families name than any of us could have ever done. Us putting signage on our trailers, front doors and walls of our shops, decals on the windows of our cars, etc, has done nothing but promote the families name and bring it more to the forefront of this hobby. By charging for every single thing that is put out there or threatening a lawsuit, people have said screw it and no longer will promote some of those names. It is very sad. I remember when I joined this site over 10 years ago I barely knew anything about many of these legends and because of the members here I am now very well informed. I do not know anyone personally who is capitalizing off of any one of these legends names but I know several that are proud to display others on their walls, fenders, doors, trailers, etc. Many a friendship has been made because of the reunion and promotion of these legends and many more have been lost over the frivolous bickering and lawsuits from others. It is time it stops and we bring our attention back to where it was originally intended. Dennis Hartweg has rolled over many times in his grave (urn) over some of the petty things that have taken place over the last several years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM

Exactly.... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]