Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 PM

Default Fred Gibb Paper work

I see the thread was close before I could state what I know.
Because I was there.

1-13-90 was on a sunday. I remember the day very well, it was the day I met Fred & Helen Gibb. I stopped at Fred & Helen's house, Helen invited me in and we talked around 2 hours.
The reason I stopped was because I thought I had found a gibb nova. Fred tolded me he no longer had the VIN# to the Nova's he gave them to BP.
William I noticed you said "A certian individual wisley saw a business opportunity" I think you should have stated BP & the other guy were partners in chasing these cars down. Maybe one got screwed. I won't go it to that.
You stated BP is not a profiteer, intersting. I sold BP a Gibb nova for 2,000.00 because I quote "I don't have one and you own two" Bill told me he wanted to keep and restore the car. Two months later Ray Morrison calls me and tells me there is a Gibb nova in Hemming Motor news for sale. Want guess who's phone # is in Hemmings ---------BP. Price was 16,000.00 14,000.00 profit, no profiteering here. I then buy my 70 Gibb Race car from Bill on 4-16-94. Bill had the car 18 months before selling it to me.
I wonder how he found that car ??? Do you think it might be from Fred Gibbs paperwork ? Do you see a pattern here.
When BP bought the car 6 miles away from my father-in-laws house it was a running driving race car 468 motor ,nice paint ran around 6.90s in the 1/8 mile. When I bought the car there was NO motor,trans,seats,interior,wheels,headers, crossmember,driveshaft & back & front windsheild were gone! Wow. I think he paid around 5,000.00 for the car ,I gave 10,000.00 for the striped shell. No profiteering here.
Now the 1969 ZL-1 #1 car,that car was FOUND by the Gibb paper work period. The car was owned by Jim Cooper from Des Moines, Ia. Foot note I have lived most of my 61 years 60 miles away from Des Moines. The car was raced at Eddyville Raceway which I have been going to this track 46 years. The strip is 14 miles from my house. I watched that car race there sereral times.
Sure wished I had Fred's paper work back then.
Bill buys The #1 ZL-1 with I quote "A boot full 100.00 bills ,sounds like a lot huh. 3200.00 was the price I always heard was paid for the car & how much did he sell it for?? 1,000,000+ is what I have heard. Again NO profiteering here. Give me a break.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Fred Gibb Paper work

Wish I had a buck for every car that was soon flipped that was bought using the line (or one similar) &quot;...I have always wanted one of those, sell it to me and I will give it a good hom...&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

Several in out hobby have done quite well doing this.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:08 AM

Thanked 2,130 Times in 666 Posts

Mr. Howie. As I stated earlier I was there in the beginning. You are focusing on one person for some reason. The chronology and numbers you state are inaccurate.

Once again, several people have made incredible profits flipping these cars. I happen to be privy to some of it. To cite one small example, as previously mentioned, anyone could have purchased #55 from the Super Chevy ad in the late ‘80s for $65,000. A few short years later the car was re-sold for nearly four times that amount. The folks that bought it from the ad may have washed it a few times. They didn’t rebuild it from the ground up [twice], haul it around the country and get it featured in magazines. They simply owned it for a few years and were the beneficiaries of a rapidly growing interest in ZL-1 Camaros. And guess what? #55 has been resold several times for many times more. How much did any of those people contribute to the hobby?

BP owned #3 for over 20 years and left plenty of money on the table when he sold it. It has been resold a few times since for far more. He owned #1 for 18 years; I don’t know what it sold for but whatever, no one forced anyone to buy it. Does that sound like a flipper to you? Length of ownership, not profit, separates the flippers from the true enthusiast. By the way just about everyone has flipped a car or two in order to finance a project, myself included. Several ZL-1s have been under long-term ownership and when they eventually do sell, they should send BP a thank-you card.

No one has done more to elevate the visibility of the ZL-1 Camaro and Fred Gibb Chevrolet than BP. He’s not done; the Kirby/Harrell ’68 Camaro Funny Car will be appearing at several shows this summer including the LaHarpe Show on August 4th. The engine is running 95% nitromethane. It makes these shows worth attending. He has certainly earned whatever has come his way.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:00 AM

I was thrilled to pay BP's fee for the &quot;original paperwork and signed letter from Fred&quot; for my ZL-1. Seemed like a deal compared to the price others charge for nothing more than a letter, especially considering the value of the respective cars.
I think the ZL-1 paperwork is worth way more than I paid.

I would gladly pay the same for the original paperwork to one of my other cars in a minute..and they are not ZL-1's....
Old 05-20-2012, 03:13 AM

Mr. William: &quot;THERE IN THE BEGINNING&quot; Where were you in the
beginning? Show me! Don't run your mouth talking about it, that's the easy way.
There is a picture running around out there of two men standing
by a 69 Camaro on a trailer on a cold cold day forty plus years ago. All of these years I thought those men were Fred and my boss Dick. It sure is depressing to find out now that those two men standing by that 69 ZL-1 were Bill and William. Some of us do not share your opinions.
Glenn Powell
Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 AM

Some pictures from the net...

Dave
67 Nova Boy

Old 05-20-2012, 04:14 AM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

Glenn...it must have been cool working around those two guys [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cool.gif[/img]

It would have been neat to meet them.... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2012, 04:21 AM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

Glenn. The ZL1 was pretty much forgotten. Nobody in general knew they even existed until Porterfield surfaced with the first one I had heard of. Porterfield is in my opinion the guy that put Fred and Dick back in the spotlight. I don't see why people have a problem with him reviving exciting people and times.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 AM

Charlie: I told everyone my opinion about undeserving
opportunist when i was in Collinsville a few years ago. If I
meet up with you some day, I will express my opinion again.
I was one of those that helped write the history. I will not fight any more about this in front of a moniter pounding on a key board.
Have a good one ya'll.......Glenn
Old 05-20-2012, 05:36 AM

I read threads like these, and I wonder if Mr. Gibb and Mr. Harrell are up in heaven right now, watching the drama, shaking their heads, and wishing they hadn't bothered.