Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 AM

Default Value question - 1969 Trans Am

Bad time for selling cars, but, a great one for buying.
Lets say there is a 'Day 2' numbers matching 4 speed TA for sale. Better than average driver, but not show quality.
The 'Day 2' piece is that a previous owner has added A/C, power windows and Cruise Control. All of this work was done by a Pontiac dealership (so it 'looks' like it was done at the factory), and all original parts were kept with the car. Not sure about paper work, but I know it has PHS docs.
What is it worth in today's market?
Thanks
Tas
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 378710-Firebirdposter.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-06-2009, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Value question - 1969 Trans Am

Tas:

It sounds like it would take very little to un-Day 2 the T/A. I'm assuming the AC is some type of aftermarket unit and the firewall is un-disturbed. PHS is all that you need for the car to document it. If the body is all there and presentable and as you say the drive-train is original, the T/A is worth a minimum of $50K. A driver quality car has high side of about $70-75K. Remember the Ram Air pans, Carburetor and hood are extremely difficult parts to find, if not impossible (for example: I was told by Legendary that the hoods are worth $15-18K). These are great cars, extremely rare and rock-solid investments and the four speed cars are the most desirable. No matter how nice an automatic T/A is, I have never seen them bring much more than $75-80K. Good Luck, Ed
Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Ed
Thanks for the input
The AC, power windows, cruise control and rear defog are all Pontiac parts - owner that did this work had a Pontiac dealership and these were added to look as if the car came with them from the factory. All that was done in the early 80's during a restoration.
Talked to current owner. Car has 36,000 miles, M21 with 3.55 posi. Only non original item under hood is the water pump and he has the original, just needs rebuilt. AC blows, but not cold. AM/FM works, but 8 track is not working. Original hood is still on the car....
Man, I'd like to bring this one to meet my Camaros....just not sure I can pull it off
Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 PM

Really hard to nail down a price because there are so many variables, but the $50K range for a driver is about right, $75K for a 4-speed with all the parts, over $100K for a good resto, $125K+ for a restored RAIV car, $1 million+ for one of the 8 ragtops.

Sounds like you found a great car though. Just a note, everything is repro'd for the 69 Trans Am now, so well done clones are easy to make. The upper and lower Ram Air pans are repro'd in steel, the 69 Trans Am hood is repro'd in steel, so all the previously hard Trans Am parts are now plentiful and cheap. Of course, original parts are always worth more....

With only 36,000 miles, sounds like a great find. Just a note, cruise control was not available with the 4-speed, but it sounds like it was dealer installed.

By any chance, was this car once owned by Dave Doern?

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 01-06-2009, 10:57 PM

I'm not sure if it was owned by Dave. I dont know any previous owners names at this point. Where does he live? I know the car was on the west coast for a long time.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:36 AM

Dave was from around the Chicago area, but I lost track of him about 1997. He owned many rare Pontiacs, including a 1969 Trans Am that ended up in books, posters, etc. back in the 1980's. He loaded that Trans Am with virtually every available option (using all NOS parts) back in the 1980's, including power windows, rear defog, 8-track, tilt wheel, cruise, power antenna, and the seldom seen AM/FM Stereo 4-speaker radio.

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 01-07-2009, 02:25 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Does it have white rubber trim around the nose area?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 AM

Sounds like it could be the same car.
It has the power antenna, power trunk release, power seat and fold down rear seat on the deluxe interior. The interior was changed from blue to black.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:47 AM

Any idea what publications it was in?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dave was from around the Chicago area, but I lost track of him about 1997. He owned many rare Pontiacs, including a 1969 Trans Am that ended up in books, posters, etc. back in the 1980's. He loaded that Trans Am with virtually every available option (using all NOS parts) back in the 1980's, including power windows, rear defog, 8-track, tilt wheel, cruise, power antenna, and the seldom seen AM/FM Stereo 4-speaker radio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave Doern, have not heard that name in awhile. I met him in the 80's when he was president of ,I believe, the local POCI chapter. He sourced me, from butler autoparts, 2 htp rear quarters for my 71 lemans sport convertible. He took me to a storage building in Skokie where he had some COOL stuff. The 2 I remember most were a 1985 black trans am (think kitt) with a factory aquired SD 455 in the engine bay. It fit like factory right down to the stickers on the cowl. He said a connection at Pontiac got him the original block.He also said that car was stupid fast with a wicked top end because of the 5 speed in the modern TA.
The other car was an olds, that he said was built for the head of olds or his wife. Anyway it was a sweet factory 442...................wagon!

Neat guy, I would love to know what happened to him and his cars.

On the TA sounds like a good one. Get a fresh PHS and while other stuff would be great, that is all you need.
Hope you get it........I got one.

JOHN