Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-01-2016, 10:34 PM

Default Re: 2nd Gen Trans Am$ at Barrett Jackson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craig_Maiorana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But there is a flip side. There was a 79 Pace car mustang turbo 4 that went off sunday still had the original wheels and aluminum rear drums and it went for like 7k ... It all depends on what time it crosses the block and who wants it bad enough </div></div>

That car went for 11.5k, which was easily twice what I would have pegged it at. It had serious paint issues, bad panel alignment, incorrectly installed quarter glass, poorly restored and installed side molding, among other things. Plus being a turbo car didn't do it any favors. I'd have called that a 5,000 dollar car, max, so even that instance shows an increase.

Also, don't forget that an 80 Mustang Enduro pulled 40k at Auctions America a couple of months ago.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:35 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markinnaples</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would venture a guess that the 1980's IROC Z/28s are the next ones to jump up in value. I had one a few years ago (a yellow '87 I found in my neighbor's yard) and sold it to a fellow member here. They are great handling cars and surprisingly quick too. The same way the late 1970's guys are looking for their highschool cars, these will be the next target of acquisition. Low mileage unmessed with examples are few and far between. So buy them up now.

Hard to believe this was 10 years ago!

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/187461/1 </div></div>

Whatever happened to that IROC? </div></div>

I rescued it from my neighbors yard and I had my fun tuning it up and playing with it while my 1972 T/A was in body shop prison. I sold it one hour after posting it in the for sale section here. I ended up selling it for exactly what I had into it - to the dollar. It was funny because I just set what I thought was a reasonable price and when I went to tally up the numbers afterwards it was exactly what the pile of receipts added up to. I should have played that number in the lottery...and asked a lot more for the car! I sold it for $8,700 in 2006.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:36 PM

I didn't even realize that a 1990 1LE IROC brought 50k. Is that a new record for a 3rd gen?
Old 02-02-2016, 11:30 PM

I can only hope the IROC Z is the next one to skyrocket !!
Old 02-03-2016, 12:52 AM

I doubt they will ever catch fire like a Bandit car. You have to remember that Smokey and the Bandit no matter how cheesy of a movie some might think is a Iconic cult like movie where the car has become the star of the movie. For instance 77-81 Trans ams don't bring over 20 grand usually if they are not a SE car. That just goes to show the power of that movie. Has anyone tried to buy a General Lee charger clone these days. They are out of control too. That's an ugly car no matter how you slice it. But people still want to buy them.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTO_DON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt they will ever catch fire like a Bandit car. You have to remember that Smokey and the Bandit no matter how cheesy of a movie some might think is a Iconic cult like movie where the car has become the star of the movie. For instance 77-81 Trans ams don't bring over 20 grand usually if they are not a SE car. That just goes to show the power of that movie. Has anyone tried to buy a General Lee charger clone these days. They are out of control too. That's an ugly car no matter how you slice it. But people still want to buy them.</div></div>
Lot's of opinions in their Don. I'm a Chevy guy for muscle cars, but I love the Chargers. I'd happily drive one in a heart beat. 77-79 Trans Ams are real nice aesthetically IMO also. Screamin' Chicken or not. Now money wise, that's a different matter. Unlimited resources or not, I wouldn't pay what the BJ customers are paying for anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chevelleshack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can only hope the IROC Z is the next one to skyrocket !!

</div></div>
I could see that one going way up someday. Not all of them though. I know yours is on my list of &quot;want to haves.&quot; If I had the resources to have a &quot;collection&quot;, it would be in it. I used to have a real nice '84 Z. Slug? Sure, but I still loved it with the 5 spd. Yours has a lot going for it.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 02-03-2016, 01:44 PM

Wife bought this one new in '89 , so won't matter if they do escalate in price , it won't go anywhere . Even though this one has the 350 it won't set the world on fire , have debated on doing an ls swap .
Old 02-03-2016, 01:49 PM

Thanked 1,379 Times in 670 Posts

The IROCs have a very strong following on Facebook, as do Trans Ams of any age. The strongest, I think, are the IROCs with the 350's, 1LE Camaros, GTA Trans Ams, and Firehawks.

They may never pull COPO money, but they're the next generation's 1st Gen F Bodies.
John 10:30
Old 02-03-2016, 03:57 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chevelleshack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wife bought this one new in '89 , so won't matter if they do escalate in price , it won't go anywhere . Even though this one has the 350 it won't set the world on fire , have debated on doing an ls swap . </div></div>
I feel the same way about my '69. It's not going anywhere while I'm around. IMO, I think doing an LS swap in an IROC that nice would be a mistake. Especially having the 350 already. If you did it and saved everything with no permanent changes, I could see that. You'll need to change out the trans and rear end also if you do. I smoked my 3.73 posi with just an HO 305. Imagine an engine with more than 50 hp...

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 02-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't even realize that a 1990 1LE IROC brought 50k. Is that a new record for a 3rd gen? </div></div>

Gotta be a record.

Hope my '93 5.0L black LX 5-speed gets some market love soon [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]