Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 05-23-2011, 04:33 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,401 Times in 758 Posts
Default Re: Gramma's Car: the new project!

Tried mowing the lawn today but the mower belt ripped halfway through the backyard from the weight of the still-wet grass from the full week of rain we had. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

So I went ahead with installing the engine. Connected the tranny to the motor. Here's a shot of the original overspray on the flexplate as compared to the Bill Hirsch paint mix. Very good match for this hard-to-find paint color.

Everything hooked togather and ready for lifting:

Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 AM

We have liftoff!

Had the wife and kids assisting with the maneauvering. Quite an entertaining time had by all. Much yelling - mostly on safety issues like keeping hands out from underneath the whole contraption just in case the chain breaks, etc...

Got the engine in place rather quickly. The biggest P.I.T.A. were the damn motor mount bolts. They were new motor mounts, that I prefit and made sure the bolt ran through the bracketry beforehand. The '75 Firebirds used a weird mounting system where bracket attaches to the block but the actual rubber mount is bolted to the subframe. Very hard to get the exact angle right to get the bolt to find the threaded end on the other side. That part took two hours!

Touchdown!

Old 05-23-2011, 04:45 AM

Done for the night.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 AM

Got the car all together today, added the last of the fluids, rechecked everything and got ready for the longwinded start up process...You know the drill, crank it over, stand back for the inevitable backfing and loss of eyebrows...pull the distributor and reinstall it 180 degrees out from where it was, find out where the leaking oil/gas/water/beer is coming from...try again...yada, yada, yada. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I can tell you that in 35 years of playing with cars and building engines I have never run into something like this:

I had the boy outside with me holding the fire extinguisher (from prior experience, just in case). All I was trying to do was bump the starter in order to move the timing mark on the balancer to the &quot;0&quot; spot on the timing mark. I turn the key for half a second and the car is running. No cranking, no backfiring, I mean running like I had just shut it off a minute ago. Instant 60 pounds of oil pressure, no weird noises, no leaks, no running out of gas.

So I end up sitting there with a stop watch and running the rpms up and down around 1500 to 2000 pm for 15 minutes. After that, I shut her off and drained the oil - looked clean, the magnetic drain plug was perfectly clean - not even a speck of metal anywhere. Refilled the oil and added another can of break-in additive and turned the key again, and she starts up on the first crank again. Set the timing and we both hopped in.

So we took Grammas Rose's car out for a victory lap and went to Rita's Ice for some Italian ice to celebrate. Got home and here's how she sounds after our victory ride: (click on the photo)

So, between the 455HO my daughter built in 3rd grade and this 350 my son built in 4th grade, the moral of the story is that from now on I will only have my kids build my engines for me.

Sounds like an idea for a new TV show:

Can You Build An Engine Better Than a 4th Grader? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 AM

Boy Steve, she spins like a top! Nice project - you and your son did good! Betcha he's proud as a peacock. I can here him on the playground at school with his buds,&quot;so there I was walkin' my old man through the rebuild procedure for a small block poncho....&quot;

Old 05-25-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanked 3,880 Times in 1,004 Posts

That is SO cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 05-26-2011, 02:55 AM

Had to wait for the wife and daughter to get home this evening to put the hood back on. Then I washed all the dust off and fixed a broken A/C compressor wire. Now everything works at the moment but the high speed on the blower fan, which didn't work before the rebuild, anyway. I think the relay has gone bad.

Here's some shots after the bath.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:30 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verne_Frantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, You are a very fortunate man to have your kids involved like this. That makes it more than a project; it makes it a really good memory.

Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] </div></div>

I agree Verne! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Gramma's car looks great! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif[/img]

BTW Steve... While I was reading your last couple posts, I heard &quot;It's Not Unusual&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif[/img] ...Tom Jones was on American Idol! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

RIP COPO PETE!
</span> </span>
Old 05-26-2011, 03:34 AM

You know the old saying: Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 AM

Yep! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]