Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-Wanted

Please note

Old 03-25-2016, 02:08 PM

Default WTB - Muscle Car (Pontiac, Chevrolet)

Looking for a project muscle car, my first one to restore. Probably will be my last one too, so I want to make sure I get something that I really like and can enjoy for the rest of my life. Looking to restore back to factory spec and have something around a #2 condition car when done (excellent/mint condition, but a car show driver, not a trailer queen investment grade vehicle). I've been told by knowledgeable people to find the most complete car possible. Also, to me, taking apart something is half the fun to learn the history.

Here are the cars I have interest in:
1969-1970 Chevelle SS (L78, LS5, LS6 cars)
1969 Camaro SS/Z28 (My uncle has a 302 from his old Z28 (car is long gone), this would be my first choice of vehicle as it would have sentimental value).
1963-1967 C2 Corvette (maybe a 1968-1970, but I'm not a huge fan of the C3 body style).
1968-1970 GTO (especially if it was optioned with hide-away headlights)
1970-1971 Trans Am

Car must have been optioned with a 4 speed. Does not need to be numbers matching however. I think I'd rather have a NOM L78 Chevelle than a numbers matching L34. Is that a smart choice?

Cash in hand ($10,000 roughly, that could go up depending on the vehicle, maybe even by $5,000) and I can travel to pick something up.

Thank you so much,

Greg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-26-2016, 04:28 PM

Default Re: WTB - Muscle Car (Pontiac, Chevrolet)

1963-1967 C2 Corvette You should probably take this off your list,10-15K wont get you anything close to a complete car

No Fisher priced toys here
Old 03-26-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the427king
1963-1967 C2 Corvette You should probably take this off your list,10-15K wont get you anything close to a complete car
Yeah I wouldn't think so either but I figure I'll just keep my list complete.

I'd take things less than complete as well for the higher end models (LS6, C2 Corvette, Z28, etc)
Old 03-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,623 Times in 498 Posts

Given the scope of the budget you described, I don't think you are going to find anything on the list you have presented. If your goal is to enjoy the process of building a car and have fun driving it...why not consider a clone or tribute approach. Try and find a base model Chevelle, Camaro, Nova, Lemans, Skylark, Cutlass, Firebird, etc...preferably one that has decent sheet metal and interior, and then build from there.

Even with this approach you will have to be a 'patient shopper'...$10k - $15k is not a lot of money for a car today. Be careful not to get a car needing major metal work...it will sink your budget and your enthusiasm for the project. Even with a good starting point the end product will probably cost a little more than you have budgeted, but it can be done over time, with upgrades along the way.

There are lots of websites you can research for prices like Craiglist, Ebay, etc...maybe even your local papers. If there are 'car guys' in your neighborhood, look to them for help...they may even know of a reasonably priced car that will fit the bill. Take your time and don't rush it....and of course use the SYC folks here for opinions on cars you find...there are a lot of helpful people here.

Good luck.

wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 03-26-2016, 09:38 PM

Thanks for all the input guys!

Just to clarify, I've got the resources (and wife approval) and patience (I'm ok with a 3-5 year project) to do a frame off and deal with rust repair, including frame work. It would just need to be the right car. My budget is simply to purchase the car. I fully expect to spend another 20,000-30,000 to restore the vehicle after purchase. I plan on doing everything myself, metal work, mechanical and body/paint. If I can't do something (i.e. Machining the block), I hope to pay someone who will do it and let me be around/help.

Does this seem like a good plan? I've been looking now for about 2 weeks (and lurked for awhile last summer with no intention of buying) so I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm new to the game, born in the late 80s!

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78
Given the scope of the budget you described, I don't think you are going to find anything on the list you have presented. If your goal is to enjoy the process of building a car and have fun driving it...why not consider a clone or tribute approach. Try and find a base model Chevelle, Camaro, Nova, Lemans, Skylark, Cutlass, Firebird, etc...preferably one that has decent sheet metal and interior, and then build from there.

Even with this approach you will have to be a 'patient shopper'...$10k - $15k is not a lot of money for a car today. Be careful not to get a car needing major metal work...it will sink your budget and your enthusiasm for the project. Even with a good starting point the end product will probably cost a little more than you have budgeted, but it can be done over time, with upgrades along the way.

There are lots of websites you can research for prices like Craiglist, Ebay, etc...maybe even your local papers. If there are 'car guys' in your neighborhood, look to them for help...they may even know of a reasonably priced car that will fit the bill. Take your time and don't rush it....and of course use the SYC folks here for opinions on cars you find...there are a lot of helpful people here.

Good luck.

wilma
Old 03-26-2016, 10:39 PM

In all honesty Greg,I think your whole post is unrealistic. Nobody is going to sell you a early trans am or L78,LS6 or any hi perf car needing work for that little. The only way that will happen is if you live and breath on craigslist and hope your the first one who sees the ad and runs like he'll to beat all the vultures out who lurk everyday. It can happen and I wish you luck.. Maybe do yourself a favor and go for a cleaner lesser model that you can enjoy today. Trust me, I've been restoring cars for a longtime. Your in for alot of ups and downs.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:09 PM

For some reason I was under the impression that my budget would get me a decent car.

Just FYI, there is an L78 Chevelle on these forums for 13,000 OBO. I was in discussion on another 70 chevelle L78 for $8500. So I'm not sure.

Again, thanks for all the input. Only one way to figure it out is to get advice and start looking!

Thanks!

Greg
Old 03-26-2016, 11:13 PM

As a 54 yr old guy that's been around the block a few times I'm only trying to help.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:24 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

Which forums are they on specifically?

If one of those 1970 L-78 Chevelles is a Cortez Silver 4spd.,made & bought in Calif. and just sold to a guy in Tn. for 10K recently,it does not have it's original born with engine in it,and was for sale publically for a long time before he bought it that way.It's also in very,very rough condition needing a complete TLC restoration and many parts.
I know both the seller then & new owner now and have many details about it.
It is a good foundation & true L-78 SS with it's buildsheet showing such,unfortunately it's being over hyped/pumped around and hearsay says he has offers of over 30K for it.
It's also being mis-represented as 1 of only 28 in existance,which is completely false as there's more.
Just wish the owner would get out of the way & let the car stand on it's own..

Old 03-27-2016, 12:25 AM

10K will get you a restorable 68-69 GTO..but it will be a basket case and possible to get a stick...but youre way off on the rest, unless you are the guy that discovers it sitting somewhere off the beaten path..

save for another year...then attack this again..but..keep an eye out justincase you stumble on a good one.

unless you can do the resto yourself a decent resto is 50k...dont care what youve heard or what billy bob said he got etc..its all labor.

if i where looking for my first musclecar..id save some more money..and buy a 10 year old or so resto you can turn the key and cruise..then improve it as you can and just enjoy it..