Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 12-20-2006, 11:10 AM

Default Twin Cities Mopar

Here is a "what ever happened to"?I was growing up in the Twin Cities area during the late sixties/early seventies.My next door neighbor came home from the service about 1970 or so.He bought a yellow Dodge Challenger and raced it from new at Minnesota Dragways.He flat towed it to the track every Sunday(I think).I know it had a stick shift....I think it had a small block(not sure of this)His name was Larry.He lived in Anoka and like I said,raced at Minnesota Dragways in Coon Rapids.This Challenger raced in the Stock classes at the time.I was a car junkie at a young age and loved all the muscle cars in town at the time....like the black nova with the cragar SS's at the filling station..SC/Rambler in town then.....you know...... ..........BILL
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 244418-alleyoop001-b.JPG 244372-3191283-AllyOop.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,813 Times in 993 Posts
Default Re: Twin Cities Mopar

Get ahold of <font color="red">hotrodchev</font>. Tim Clift has been researching Minnesota Dragways and Northstar Dragstrip for several years and has quite a list of cars and owners. I vaguely remember this car as I raced a dark green '69 340 Dart back in the 70's followed by a Yellow/Red/orange 340 Dart in the late 70's. Did this car have a black vinyl top?

Do you remember the '65 (going by memory) 427 Fairlane F/X car with the American Flag painted down the side? The car still exists today by the same owner.

Somewhere I have a shoebox with HUNDREDS of photos from these two strips but cannot find it ANYWHERE!!! I moved into my house when I build it in 1984 and have not seen them since.
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 12-21-2006, 09:41 AM

Could be a vinyl top car.....memory kind of fuzzy as I was pretty yong at the time.Larry's last name was Alshire,had a friend with a dark green mid year Vette.We lived across the street from the owners of Ward Trucking out of Anoka.The last time I saw the Challenger was on a trip back to Minnesota about 1974 or 1975.The car was sitting in his parents driveway with a bunch of class winner stickers in the window.....still sitting on it's slicks holding air!!....after that,who knows??I'm not a Mopar guy,but that car was incredible.Just the sound of it being tuned in the evenings with open headers......wow!!

P.S.One other car I remember is a late sixties Impala with "Sour Grapes" lettered on the sides.Does this ring a bell????...........BILL
Old 12-21-2006, 05:27 PM

Thanked 3,813 Times in 993 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
P.S.One other car I remember is a late sixties Impala with "Sour Grapes" lettered on the sides.Does this ring a bell????...........BILL

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and my memory is also very fuzzy. The first vision that popped into my head was a Plum '67 Biscayne but I am not sure about that as it was a few years ago........

One of fondest memories was the Red '67 SS427 Impala with black vinyl top. The car was imaculate and ran like crazy. It still resides somewhere near Brainerd from what I hear. I think it is/was owned by the brother of Casey Mark's car but again I am going strictly on memory so I could be confusing it with another 427 Biscayne.
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 12-21-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Recall that one as a blue '68 Biscayne. Loud.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:32 PM

billj, do you recall a SC/rambler running at Minnesota dragways? my car has 2 stickers on the rear quarter window from minnesota dragways. car was run in the early 70's and then at Brainerd until 87.
wes
Old 12-22-2006, 09:29 AM

Nooo......I really don't recall any SC/Ramblers except for the one running around Anoka at the time.The only other really wicked street car I remember was the Nova I mentioned before.All black with Cragars and small cragar decals in the quarter windows.Main Motors was sure smaller back in those days,huh???,,,,,,,,,,,,BILL
Old 01-06-2007, 10:26 PM

Bill

Not to still your thread, I am also looking for information on a car I purchased that raced in Minn. as well - It is a 1970 Triple Black challenger - raced/owned by Al Ptacek - Car went by Alley oop. If anyone has any info please let me know. I only have a few pics but no history.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 PM

That photo was taken at Brainerd MN. May not be real old. Contact www.moparponderosa.com He knows about most of the MN mopars. Earl
Old 01-07-2007, 01:57 AM

Thank You - I have contacted him..Here is another pic.

Shawn
Attached Images