Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 PM

Default Clothes Dryer Problem

See if you guys can help me out. Our gas clothes dryer heats up when empty however when loaded with clothes does not heat up. I recently replaced the igniter. Any ideas?

1970 Yenko Deuce, YS-84
1972 Nova SS
1987 Grand National
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-12-2009, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Clothes Dryer Problem

make sure your lint trap and hose isnt clogged. could be either in the dryer itself or in the hose that leads to the outside. same thing happened to me. it cost me a new front load dryer And washer to match !!!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:14 AM

Check the thermal fuse...I had to replace the one in our dryer a few months ago...went out on the weekend of course, and with 6 of us in the house the washer/dryer are pretty important. Anyway, take the make/model and do a search on Google...I came up with a troubleshooting guide and a wiring diagram for ours. Think I had $12 for the part + 60 mile round trip for the part + my time, and then we were back up & running...
Old 07-13-2009, 12:26 AM

Both of the previous posts gave you the right info!

A clogged lint hose is dangerous! it will heat up the thermal fuse and stop the igniter!The lint can cause a fire! Dont ever use your dryer when not at home!

But usually the thermal fuse is a one shot deal!

Once blown,it does not re-set and needs to be replaced.You said it heats up when empty,so i think it may be a clogged lint hose.Try using your shop vac in blowing mode and blow it out.I have even used my leaf blower on mine!Go easy at first to ensure you dont blow your lint hose apart!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:10 AM

Thanks guys.

1970 Yenko Deuce, YS-84
1972 Nova SS
1987 Grand National
Old 07-14-2009, 04:02 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,515 Times in 727 Posts

Yep, about 2 years ago someone on this site (I think they were in Canada IIRC) had a bad fire in their house from a clogged dryer vent. Just prior to that time I had thought our trusty old dryer had bit the dust and was ready to go buy a new one. The wife suggested that I check the vent hose...I took it off and could not believe how much lint was stuck inside there Made a huge pile on the basement floor. Cleaned it all out and the dryer worked like new again. Those dryer fabric softener sheets gum everything up and make a mess...we don't use them any more.

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 07-14-2009, 04:08 AM

Times 2 with the blocked hose and fabric softner sheets. Lint is a big factor in any dryer.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:23 AM

Thanked 5,363 Times in 1,881 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, about 2 years ago someone on this site (I think they were in Canada IIRC) had a bad fire in their house from a clogged dryer vent. Just prior to that time I had thought our trusty old dryer had bit the dust and was ready to go buy a new one. The wife suggested that I check the vent hose...I took it off and could not believe how much lint was stuck inside there Made a huge pile on the basement floor. Cleaned it all out and the dryer worked like new again. Those dryer fabric softener sheets gum everything up and make a mess...we don't use them any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with us...

This time around the hose was kinked a bit. Clothes wouldn't dry at all...

I think it was Pete Leathersac that had the fire IIRC?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:28 AM

Ok all you experts on dryers here is one for ya.
My washer started to make noise when the pump was on too remove the water.I was away and my daughter called a local guy to fix it, He came over and told her it was the pump and needed to replace it, Then it worked again. I paid $180.00. a year later same thing happened.This time I called a new guy. He came over and took out the plastic pump and showed me what was causing the problem. A bobby pin was logged in the propeller, took it out and problem was gone.
I kept the old one that was replaced before and guess what
a bobby pin was logged in that one too only the son of a B--ch ripped me off for 180.00
So he replaced the new pump with the old pump after removing the B pin because he said that the orig was a better pump than the replacement.
The moral of the story is dont trust anyone unless you find an honest repair person.
PJ
Old 07-14-2009, 07:06 PM

Growing up on the farm, one of the responsibilities that my brother and I had was to burn the trash about once a week. Our secret weapon was to find the dryer lint and it was a one match fire!!!! After we had our exposure to fire, we asked that Mom warn us when she had airsol cans!!!!!

I have told my wife several times that she needs to keep the lint screen clean. Everytime that I go in, the screen needs to be emptied. I told her that I am going to light a ball of lint to show her how flammable that stuff is.

Rusty Small