Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 PM

Default Ram Air IV convertible

So I had to share with this forum (cuz they get it) what happened to me today. This weekend, while exercising my RA IV, I snapped a few shots on my new phone and posted them on my facebook page without a caption or note. Noticed by a few and liked accordingly, I followed a few of the nice comments. BUT, the best one came today from the original owner's son, who I had tracked down a few years ago and we are cyber friends. We have also spoken at length about the car and its history. The comment was nothing wildly special, but the fact that in these modern times that that can happen at all, is pretty cool. Combine that with the fact that this is a fairly well known and desirable car and his Mother and Father were both famous people and loving owners, and it is that much cooler.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 36476.jpg 36475.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts
Default Re: Ram Air IV convertible

Who were they ?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 AM

Gene Theslof was the original owner. He was skating coach and partner to

<span style="color: #330099"><span style="font-style: italic">Sonja Henie (April 8, 1912 – October 12, 1969) was a Norwegian figure skater and film star. She was a three-time Olympic Champion (1928, 1932, 1936) in Ladies Singles, a ten-time World Champion (1927–1936) and a six-time European Champion (1931–1936). Henie won more Olympic and World titles than any other ladies figure skater. At the height of her acting career she was one of the highest paid stars in Hollywood.</span></span>

He married and had a family with

<span style="color: #330099"><span style="font-style: italic">Vivi-Anne Hultén (25 August 1911 – 15 January 2003) was a Swedish figure skater who was a ten time national champion in ladies singles. She finished fifth at the 1932 Winter Olympics and then won the bronze medal at the 1936 Games. She was a two-time European bronze medalist and four time World medalist.Known as &quot;The Flame of Sweden&quot; who was called the greatest Swedish woman athlete of all time by the Swedish Sportswriter Association, who refused to salute Adolf Hitler when she was awarded a bronze medal in the 1936 Olympics, and who had a well-known and longstanding feud with Norwegian Olympic skater Sonja Henie.</span></span>

They settled in Minneapolis and changed figure skating forever with now standard innovations like the lift, and were well known for their participation in &quot;Holiday on Ice&quot; shows.
They were also well known for their GTO! Gene had a huge street rep!
His son Gene Jr. told me
&quot;<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had our friend Bill Schifsky in White Bear Lake “tune” our cars. Bill was a funny car racer and my pal, at my wedding. I got him a sponsorship with LM Cox company that makes .049 hobby engines used in hobby planes, cars. They made a replica of his Funny and it sold all over the world. Bill and Dad were buddies. Bill set up Dad’s engine but he would not let him mess with swapping cams, heads, pistons. He used to like to start his drags from a slow roll about 20 mph as the automatic would dump down to first and the tires would light up and all hell would break loose. He beat 440 six packs, 427’s, 396’s, and a few Hemi Cudas. Probably got the jump on the “Cudas” but he was a smart streeter. Automatic was the choice as it was faster out of the hole then a four speed and deadly at his favorite roll and dump speed. Most street runs were from stop light to stop light when conditions were right, cops at lunch or on breaks. </div></div>&quot;
Schifsky confirmed the street racing lore and had some great stories. He said that due to his pseudo celebrity, he had contacts in Detroit and would show up with Pontiac parts that were not available to the public.

The Theslof family has quite a story behind it as Gene, the original owner, Had a father who was an ambassador to the USA, champion pistol shot, painter that did Eisenhower and Hoover paintings by their commission, his brother was Chief of Staff to Finnish Army.

Sonia Hennie was Godmother to their son Gene.....Gene was a skating star when he was a young man as well. And of course, a well known to the area street racer with a 440-6 Cuda' convertible 4sp! Schifsky confirmed this as well!

On her passing, one of the obituaries mentioned how they were known for cruising their GTO top down...often in the winter with raccoon coats and sunglasses.
Here is a god obit for data on the original owner and his wife.
http://www.startribune.com/obituaries/11597621.html
Old 10-09-2013, 10:33 AM

Judge?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:14 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Awesome history! Can we see some pics of the car?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:51 PM

In 69 Pontiac built 59 RAIV converts. 14 were automatics...all of those were non judge.

Here are a few shots from this weekend taken with a cell phone...

Old 10-09-2013, 11:08 PM

Whoa sweet ride!!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 PM

Very COOL!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 PM

I saw a silver 1969 RA IV Judge for sale at Carlisle one year; the car was a former POCI national champion according to the seller. He started that thing up and I swear I will never forget the sweet sound of the RA IV at idle; music to my ears.

Very nice story and nice car.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 PM

Your car in reverse! This one made it to Switzerland, it's one of the IV automatics as well. Liberty blue with white guts.