Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-20-2014, 11:47 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Top 15 Fastest Chevrolets Ever

By the time dealers tack on their $15K-$20K on top of the Kitty's window sticker, you can bet those things will cost ya' $70K. I'll bet you can put together a pretty nice real HEMI powered driver for that kind of money ...
Old 07-21-2014, 06:25 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SBR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If that was not bad enough, they ran the Hellcat with drag radials while the Hemi ran with the old style bias ply tires. </div></div>

They're trying to sell new ones by knocking-down old ones. Not cool.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 AM

There's a couple of cars that shouldn't be on there and a few that should but otherwise that looks pretty accurate to me. Sort of a pointless exercise, though. Just somebody trying to stir up controversy.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:39 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earntaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, most of these computer controlled wiz machines have some sort of traction control. Add just that feature to the 60s/70s muscle cars. &quot;Traction controls&quot; make any 16 year old think they're Ronnie Sox ... they have no idea what &quot;feather the throttle&quot; means. </div></div>

I think you're thinking of launch control, which is a completely different animal than traction control. Conventional traction control kills cylinders until the wheels stop spinning. Handy in the snow, useless at the dragstrip. I don't know much of anything about the new Challenger. Does it have launch control? The old one didn't. I don't think any of the American cars have it, but I could be wrong; I don't pay much attention to the late models anymore.

Anyway, launch control on the old Challenger wouldn't have made a bit of difference, because launch control can't make up for the massive power deficit. A stock Stage II Street Hemi in average showroom trim puts down about 290-300 real horsepower to the tires. Not even in the same zip code as the new one. Put Ronnie Sox in a manual trans Hellcat and he could spot the '70 five cars and the leave and still win by two at the stripe. It's a brave new world.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:37 PM

their just pumping new cars.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:23 PM

Spot on.. As much as I LOVE old cars, they new stuff is faster. No question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earntaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, most of these computer controlled wiz machines have some sort of traction control. Add just that feature to the 60s/70s muscle cars. &quot;Traction controls&quot; make any 16 year old think they're Ronnie Sox ... they have no idea what &quot;feather the throttle&quot; means. </div></div>

I think you're thinking of launch control, which is a completely different animal than traction control. Conventional traction control kills cylinders until the wheels stop spinning. Handy in the snow, useless at the dragstrip. I don't know much of anything about the new Challenger. Does it have launch control? The old one didn't. I don't think any of the American cars have it, but I could be wrong; I don't pay much attention to the late models anymore.

Anyway, launch control on the old Challenger wouldn't have made a bit of difference, because launch control can't make up for the massive power deficit. A stock Stage II Street Hemi in average showroom trim puts down about 290-300 real horsepower to the tires. Not even in the same zip code as the new one. Put Ronnie Sox in a manual trans Hellcat and he could spot the '70 five cars and the leave and still win by two at the stripe. It's a brave new world. </div></div>

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:15 PM

The point I was trying to make was these new vehicles w/traction/launch or whatever name you wish to call the system takes less talent to drive then the old muscle cars -- even a 16 year old can drive like the old SS or MP drivers.