Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Didn't Ford require a SCCA competition license, or something, to purchase the Cobra R back in the 90s?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:44 PM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429scj View Post
Mother nature kills people too, shall we ban that as well?
Really? Please explain the comparison between mother nature, a force of which we as humans have absolutely no control over versus a manufactured car that meets all government regulations, can be purchased by anyone and can do the quarter mile in 10 seconds flat. I am dying to hear that.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,171 Times in 1,338 Posts

You would think Chrysler would require specialized driving classes as a precaution. This car has a top speed of 273 http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/09/...t-273-mph.html

There are many extreme sports that have much higher risks, and as far as I know they are not regulated. I will say what Chevrolet did was a smart move.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 09-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Really? Please explain the comparison between mother nature, a force of which we as humans have absolutely no control over versus a manufactured car that meets all government regulations, can be purchased by anyone and can do the quarter mile in 10 seconds flat. I am dying to hear that.
There were certainly a few instances where some people were warned told to evacuate, but chose to ride the storm out and unfortunately perished. Yes a small percentage, but people make choices some turn out to be bad with tragic results.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
Old 09-14-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shauger View Post
You would think Chrysler would require specialized driving classes as a precaution. This car has a top speed of 273 http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/09/...t-273-mph.html

There are many extreme sports that have much higher risks, and as far as I know they are not regulated. I will say what Chevrolet did was a smart move.
A precaution to what Steve? The fact exists that anyone with the money can go out and buy a Demon and proceed to kill themselves. Chrysler can't be held legally responsible for that. All that does is maybe . . . get them some bad press. Then again it can work in the opposite. Another fool with more money than brains thinks he's a better driver than the schmuck who killed himself and buys his own Demon.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
There were certainly a few instances where some people were warned told to evacuate, but chose to ride the storm out and unfortunately perished. Yes a small percentage, but people make choices some turn out to be bad with tragic results.
True - but that can be said about all things in life. Shall we discuss gun ownership? How about smoking cigarettes? Hang gliding, parachuting, scuba diving in caves . . . the list goes on and on. ALL can and do end with tragic results. Will people stop doing them? I strongly doubt it.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
True - but that can be said about all things in life. Shall we discuss gun ownership? How about smoking cigarettes? Hang gliding, parachuting, scuba diving in caves . . . the list goes on and on. ALL can and do end with tragic results. Will people stop doing them? I strongly doubt it.
I'm not here to debate peoples choices. I believe that perhaps in this case if the manufacturer offered a track-time course it would be beneficial, and perhaps save some lives. People making bad choices is ultimately up to the individual.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

All hellcats and demons come with the srt driving experience(Bob Bondurant) as part of the cars price tag all u have to do is schedule a date and show up,they setup road courses, braking ,straight line,track etc its pretty sweet.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I'm not here to debate peoples choices. I believe that perhaps in this case if the manufacturer offered a track-time course it would be beneficial, and perhaps save some lives. People making bad choices is ultimately up to the individual.
And I disagree with even that caveat. Cars like the Demon should not be sold to the general public PERIOD. The risk of loss of life is too great. Sometimes it is necessary to protect individuals . . . from themselves.

There was a time when the factories built and sold ultra high performance cars because they were obligated to by sanctioning bodies like the NHRA. But these cars were earmarked for professional drivers not Joe Public.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
All hellcats and demons come with the srt driving experience(Bob Bondurant) as part of the cars price tag all u have to do is schedule a date and show up,they setup road courses, braking ,straight line,track etc its pretty sweet.
You do realize that it's a one day affair right?

One day to turn Casper Milktoast into Ronnie Sox . . .