Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78 View Post
I tried that approach many years ago on a small block rebuild...unfortunately I didn't know from things like 'overlap or duration'...just the L79 mystique. Well, I can tell you it didn't work with a Powerglide

augy...Thanks for posting the photo of the car...very cool

-wilma
Sorry to hear about your experience with your small block rebuild , never used a powerglide. Always thought if GM could make a powerglide work in a 67 427 400 hp corvette, that it could work in a 327 325 hp.

Last edited by MarcDant; 01-05-2018 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:08 PM

I've been asked how this L79 Malibu was found, so thought I'd update this post with a little history about it.

A little backstory to begin with. Way back in April of 1967 and 19 years old, I ordered a new '67 L79 Malibu 2-door hardtop. 327/350 hp, M22 4-speed, 4.10 posi, Deepwater Blue, black bench seat interior. It was delivered to the dealer in late June. As a 4-door hardtop! Everything was as ordered, but it had 2 extra doors! Dealership screw-up. I refused delivery and they ordered another one. In August I was informed it was too late in the year, as the factory was changing over to the new-body-style '68 models. No one knew what they would look like (big secret), so I cancelled my order. Sept '68, same dealer calls and says they have something to show me. So I drive over and hidden in the back room is a new '68 L79 Malibu, exactly as I ordered the '67. 327 now rated at 325 hp, same colors, but now called Fathom Blue. I had first look and first chance at the Malibu. This was before the first public showing of the new '68s in Oct. Decided to buy it after a couple days of thinking it over, but couldn't take delivery until the day of first showing, Oct 25, 1968, IIRC. Took it home that day and had a lot of fun drag-racing it until Uncle Sam called in Dec of '69. Sold the car and then it was totalled a month later by the new owner. I always wanted another one.

Fast forward to Nov 2014. After finding THIS car about 10 years earlier, I was finally able to purchase it from a gentleman right here in MN. It had been sold new in Oklahoma and then taken to Las Vegas, where it spent it's first 35 years of life in the dry desert. Then brought to MN in the early 2000's and stored by the guy I bought it from. Never driven in salt, so it's rust-free. Technically I'm the 3rd owner, although the 2nd owner never drove it.

This car is almost identical to that very first one. Same color, interior, and engine. But with an M21 trans and 3.73 posi rear. This one has the factory mag hubcaps and factory A/C, which the first did not have. It also has a build sheet stuck down in between the front left fender and inner fender. I can see it with a flashlight, but have not tried to remove it for fear of destroying it. There may be more build sheets since the car has NEVER been apart. Some day......

So that's it, thought maybe you folks would enjoy the history.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to augy For This Useful Post:
GM Powertrain (02-02-2018), markinnaples (02-01-2018), Tenney (02-02-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
I ordered a new '67 L79 Malibu 2-door hardtop. 327/350 hp, M22 4-speed, 4.10 posi, Deepwater Blue, black bench seat interior. It was delivered to the dealer in late June. As a 4-door hardtop! Everything was as ordered, but it had 2 extra doors! Dealership screw-up. I refused delivery and they ordered another one
Wonder where that car ended up? Would be neat to see.

I didn't think the was offered with the L79?
Old 02-01-2018, 06:39 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

Great story.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:36 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Lillard View Post
Great story.

Times two...thank you for sharing!!
Old 02-02-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
Wonder where that car ended up? Would be neat to see.

I didn't think the was offered with the L79?
That '67 L79 4-door hardtop (Sport Sedan) sat outside on the dealer's lot for 2 years before a young farmer with a family bought it sometime in 1969. I never knew the guy's name. It disappeared, but I've tried to find it for many years because it has to be rare, right?

The rest of the story: A couple years ago I was at a small car show about 10 miles from the original dealership. I had my '67 El Camino there and a guy walked over to look at it. He mentioned that his Dad had bought a brand new '67 Chevelle 4-door off that dealer's lot in 1969. And it had "some kind of high performance engine with a 4-speed in it". I almost fell over backwards! Turns out the car is still on the family farm about 30 miles away, parked in a shed. Very rusty now and settling into the dirt floor. It was purchased for his mother in '69, but she only drove it for a couple years because she didn't like the 4-speed and heavy-duty clutch. So the car was parked and they bought her a new '72 Impala with auto transmission. I asked to look at the Chevelle and possibly buy it from them but no deal. They won't show it to anyone because "we're gonna fix'er up some day" Where have you heard that before? I'm about 99% sure it's the same car without having seen it. I've kept in contact with the family and offered to help get it back on the road. No luck yet on that either. But there's always hope. At least now I know where it is, and no, I ain't tellin'......

To answer your question.....all '67 Malibus could be ordered with any of the available 327 engines for that year, including the L79 engine. I have even seen two '67 Chevelle station wagons with the L79 option.

Last edited by augy; 02-02-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:42 PM

I was not aware that the M-22 was available with a L-79 in 1967.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsixman View Post
I was not aware that the M-22 was available with a L-79 in 1967.
That's what I meant above when I said "I didn't think the was offered with the L79?"

Somehow I omitted the all-important "M22" from that sentence.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
That's what I meant above when I said "I didn't think the was offered with the L79?"

Somehow I omitted the all-important "M22" from that sentence.
I did order that '67 with a supposedly Corvette-only M22, but since I did not take delivery of it, I don't know if it had an M22 in it or not. I remember it was a couple hundred dollars extra on the order form. That car was ordered for racing, 'course I didn't tell the dealer that. When the dealer went ahead and ordered the '68, they simply duplicated the '67 order. That first '68 WAS delivered with an M22, and it was listed on the window sheet (wish I would have kept it). They sold me the '68 for the same price as the '67 since they screwed up the original '67 order. My Dad bought all his new cars from them and I think they wanted to keep us as customers. Most, if any, dealerships did not have computers back then, so everything was hand-written. That's probably the reason the '67 was delivered as a 4-door.

So, the question of the M22 in the '67 4-door comes down to this......
Old 02-03-2018, 02:13 AM

Thanks for explaining the details of your 67 4- door. That would have been a very special car if it would have been a 2- door.

A guy in my area ordered a 67 300 post Chevelle in royal plum, L-79, M-21, HD suspension, disc brakes and 4.88 posi. That car ran real hard and beat many big blocks.