Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,625 Times in 498 Posts
Default Re: Solving the dreaded fuel line leaks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donnie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same problem. <span style="font-weight: bold">a tip from Mr. Eric Jackson</span>
put a little grease on the back side of the flare where the threads turn against it and it sealed right up for me. I also put a little on the threads. </div></div>

Like he said [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Eric Knows [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif[/img]
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 01-27-2017, 09:02 PM

Inverted flare fittings do not need any sealant -- the threaded portion of the fitting is NOT the sealing surface. Lub as described above should be all that is needed. TAZ
Old 01-27-2017, 09:10 PM

For what it's worth, pipe thread fitting (such as heater hose fittings in a water pump or intake) -- the use of Teflon (DuPont TM) tape is norm. Not to be confused with cheaper tapes -- I have always used Teflon thread seal tape with a Mil Spec T 27730A. TAZ
Old 01-28-2017, 11:49 AM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,183 Times in 922 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I asked about the SS because sometimes the SS lines can be hard to seal.... </div></div>

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-29-2017, 05:27 PM

I used a little wheel bearing grease on the threads, worked fine.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:00 PM

Thanked 3,878 Times in 1,003 Posts

More and more manufacturers are using imported steel tubes to make their lines. I have been noticing over the last couple of years that I am having more frequent issues with brake and fuel line seepage and it has appeared to me that the flare is often times not perpendicular to the tube and also has either an over compressed flare or not flared enough. I guess I would say typical import junk. The color of the &quot;OE steel&quot; is also not the same as it was several years ago. I now check every line and fitting BEFORE I set them in the car to see if I can catch any defects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 01-30-2017, 05:10 PM

Goes right along with that saying -- &quot;there's never enough time to do something right the first time ... but there's always enough time to do it over again&quot; ... TAZ
Old 01-30-2017, 05:50 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More and more manufacturers are using imported steel tubes to make their lines. I have been noticing over the last couple of years that I am having more frequent issues with brake and fuel line seepage and it has appeared to me that the flare is often times not perpendicular to the tube and also has either an over compressed flare or not flared enough. I guess I would say typical import junk. The color of the &quot;OE steel&quot; is also not the same as it was several years ago. I now check every line and fitting BEFORE I set them in the car to see if I can catch any defects. </div></div>
It's interesting that you say that. Shortly after I bought my brake and fuel lines from Right Stuff/Inline, my understanding is they started outsourcing.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 01-30-2017, 10:33 PM

Thanked 1,516 Times in 728 Posts

As others have said here, it's the flare that does the sealing, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">NOT</span></span> the threads. If you are depending on the Teflon tape - or whatever - on the threads to do the sealing, you have a problem elsewhere. Using a small amount of lubricant on these threads or the back side of the flare is a good idea. These are <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">NOT</span></span> pipe threads like are used elsewhere on the car (i.e., threaded coolant fittings)....pipe threads <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">DO</span></span> depend on the threads for doing the sealing, but brake line and fuel line fittings use a regular machine thread, that is only used to pull the flared fitting portions tight against each other.

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 01-30-2017, 10:47 PM

In the past I have actually inspected the ends of the flares and sometimes had to lightly file them down in order for them to make a seal typically it's just a bur or two that needs to be taken off. Just enough to make it perfectly Square