Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 AM

Default Re: REAL COPO? saw what I think is REAL see my pic

Hey Guys, I just wanted to Thank you guys for all the good info and "insight" on my original question about the possibility of this car being a original COPO camaro. Today, (thursday 5/29/08) Jerry Macneish inspected and Confirmed that we have a "real deal" Copo here! I want to thank Mark B. for spending time on the phone with me and giving me enough good info for us to actually go and bring the car home. This car is a two owner car, that has been kept inside most of its life. ( granted we will need some parts to get it back to original). I guess this go to say "they are still out there". Its kinda funny how every time you hear a story, starting out with .......yea, my buddy knows where a real ....(blank) (car) is........you say to yourself .....yea right.

This is how we found out about this car... with just that kind of lead. THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!!! Mike H.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2008, 05:44 AM

PS. we will need to find a BE rear and a "period correct" 512 block
I know these are not going to be cheap, but any leads in locating these two "key" parts would be a great help. Mike
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2008, 06:07 AM

Just courious how was it confirmed to be a COPO without the org engine or rearend?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:29 AM

Hi , Dont get me wrong, I may have used the word "confirmed" loosely.
I dont have a single thing (yet) to confirm it to be a 100% copo car, I can only say, that Jerry, said the car was pretty much all factory in having the early series engine mounts, (coded), the 3/8 inch fuel line that has never been touched, correct original radiator ,the cowl hole/harness, riginal leaf springs, original transmission, original breather (flat bottom), and numerious other copo specific items,. I have also contacted the original owner who bought the car new, again, guys, im not the expert, and I know how discussions boards go ...... I dont want to start a big arguement here, just wanted to say thanks to all who has given us the balls to actually buy the car.

(again, as I type this , Jerry has NOT given me anything to "prove its a copo" ...he just left here at 5pm today, However, you must admit, the guy does know his stuff, and everything he saw today indicated it was a copo.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:03 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,155 Times in 669 Posts

If I were you I would be spending what ever it took to find the OE drive train and paperwork for this car before investing in a restoration. Nobody can "certify" your car as a COPO. The same Garnet red COPO has been on ebay several times in the past year-no paperwork, no OE drivetrain, no sale. Way too easy to clone a COPO.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:26 AM

hey what is the date on the picture with the cowl hood on the car?
Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 PM

Great thread.

Marlin it takes a lot of courage to come out with the truth about a car rebodied by a well known and well respected guy knowing you are going to get severely bashed or burned at the stake as you say. Well done that kind of integrity isn't found in abundance today.

I am trying to learn more about documenting Camaro's the only two I own have paperwork, living original owners and were well known. So if I understand this a COPO will have its VIN on the trim plate and behind the heater box and on the cowl? Plus on the block? But the VIN contains nothing that indicates what the car is in regard to the factory engine? Thus if all the VINS match then you are comparing them to paperwork which may or may not be authentic??

My rookie understanding is that the 512 block has a VIN on the rear pad in front of the oil filter in a rough area that can't be restamped so if that is true and that VIN matches the other VINS what does that mean? I was also told the other chevy big blocks the non Hi- Po blocks have the rear stamp on a machined pad near the oil filter and can be restamped?
Old 05-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

No, the VIN stamping along the oil filter flange is a rough cast area, not machined. But you can find a block with no stamping and add one so I would say they can definitely be restamped in that manner. It's not quite the same thing as decking the block and restamping it up front, but it's a way to get a #'s matching motor when the original was long gone. The partial VIN is up on the cowl and behind the heater blower. That can prove the VIN tag matches the body but without paperwork and original drivetrain it doesn't prove too much more.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:41 AM

Its rough cast near the oil filter on all Chevy big blocks or just the 512 and 396/375 blocks? I didn't know there were 512 blocks without stampings so they could later be restamped? You would have thought Chevy would have stamped something to denote it was a warranty or parts block? So then to create a bogus COPO you find a unstamped block and restamp the rough area and machine the pad on the front and then restamp that and get some bogus paper work and your in business? Geez that sucks. So absent prior owners and bulletproof docs how do you make sure its a real COPO or not? 3/8 inch fuel lines and specfic motor mount part numbers seems flimsy?

I would think the Yenkos would be easier since the VINs are known and you can check the two VINs on the body for welding???
Old 06-01-2008, 08:26 PM

I would like to add that Ed Cunneen did this hobby a great service and for a lot of years researching, cataloging and documenting the rarest of the rare in which there are a lot of wannabe owners out there and not enough cars to go around. I think the bashing that goes on in this site is counter productive and bad for this site. I hope Ed enjoys his COPO Chevelle and I don't blame him for getting out from under the microscope.