Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Ford-Mercury

Old 11-30-2016, 01:18 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts
Default Re: My "shop find" Bullitt Stang!

Uh oh..... Don't tempt me Mike!! Sounds like an open invitation! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/youguysrock.gif[/img]toooo!!!

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 11-30-2016, 08:01 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Even if you do not bring a car it is a great time, especially Thursday and Friday [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Mike

Aug 4th and 5th
Old 12-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Ok, so I might have taken the Bee off the rotisserie ( I'll update that here in the next few days). And I might have had the interior already out, sort of, looking for that build sheet. And the plasma cutter was already plugged into the wall....sooooooooo [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

Its a real simple process putting in a whole floor. Just some trimming along the edges to do, clean up the adjacent pans, make sure the metal is straight, place the floor in, mark a line around the edge for proper pan depth along the rockers, mark plug weld holes, remove pan, drill out plug well holes, place pan back in car, drill out pilot holes for self tapping screws to secure floor to rockers and frame rails, screw down floor, weld, grind welds flat, spray red oxide primer on floor, post on Yenko.net [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] See? Easy! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

I replaced the decklid since that suffered the same fate as the hood with rust, but other than that, this is the only rust spot left on the car to deal with. A very small patch on the outside and a tad on the outer wheel house. The trunk drop off is mint! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]. So I guess once this is done next month I'll send it to the blasters and have him do his magic. And if history has taught me anything, it'll be that when I get it back it'll have holes all over the place and need rockers, a roof, door jamb, and the new floor I just put in will need replacement! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]. Love this hobby!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2016, 11:54 AM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

And here we go, again! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Looking like after the clean up and grind down, I&quot;m just about ready for the new pan to go in. The inner rockers on these Mustangs are a glavanized finish. I'm thinking when it comes time to weld it's gong to be a little bit of a splatter fest.

Frames ground down, and everything was in good shape internally, sans some surface rust. I used some rust converter to stop the rust and then after a day of sitting, sprayed a liberal (lousy liberals) amount of red oxide primer inside the rails....

Overall, not too bad. The rear floor sections were in great shape except for right above the right rear frame rail. I'll cut that out and the new floor will join up against that section so I can stitch weld that in place. No seams visible from underneath! The goal is a factory look (of course...what else did you expect?!?! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] ) When it comes times to weld the new pan in I'll grind away the primer where the surfaces are joined so I have nice bare, fresh, clean metal. Once that's all done and everything is solid, another round of correct tint red oxide primer! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] Once the main pan is in place, I'll start the rest of the teardown of the car an hopefully have it on the twirler next month and off to the blaster! WOO HOO!!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img] All the areas I'm missing will be taken care of by the media blast dude, and the red primer now is just to protect the metal while it sits in the 1000% HOUmidity of HOUston [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

Man....what am I doing? I'm not finished with one and starting in on another! Anyone have a 69 Judge they want to send my way so I can take a whack at a GM product? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2016, 11:14 AM

where you cut the rear floor around the frame rail is a good idea. I just did a 1 piece floor in a 67 and the stamping was short on both sides where it attaches to inner wheel well.
Looks like a solid car. The quarters on these Mustangs fit real nice. I replaced both quarters outers and a roof skin on the Shelby I'm working on the panels all fit exceptional.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

No kidding? Good info! I'm hoping to get the floor in later this month, the week after Christmas. It's sitting against the wall waiting to go in. Hopefully end of January it'll be on the rotisserie and off to the blaster. These holidays get in the way [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2016, 04:34 PM

The 1 piece floor will go through the passenger side door and you will need a little help, another set of hands did wonders for me. I couldn't get the 1 piece floor up from the bottom of the car. I replaced both toe boards both torque box extensions added the passenger side torque box early 67 didn't have them I guess. The owner wanted it installed. Overall every sheet metal part we got for the car fit pretty good. I have a bunch of pictures If you get into a bind on something.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

So with Bullitt fever hitting the waves, I figure I better get going on the Stang-a-Roo since 2018 is fast approaching and I'll be bringing this car to MCACN next year!. I had to back off of it to make sure there were no snags on the Bee, and now that it's looking pretty close to being finished, I can start back into it. I'll finish the floor installation next month and will have the car stripped down and on the rotisserie. In the meantime, I got the numbers matching engine on the engine stand and talked in depth to a builder about repairing my block. It doesn't seem like it's going to happen. One cylinder has two cracks and those cracks are connected at the top about 1" down from the top part of the cylinder. He's pretty sure it's not a good candidate for a sleeve. I'm pretty bummed by I don't want to build an engine and have it leak later on down the road. So I think I'm going to build the engine with my spare block, which just happens to be from another 68 Mustang GT, and continue the quest to have this fixed at a later point. I'm just not sure it can be done.

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by A12pilot; 03-12-2017 at 11:27 AM.