Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2018, 08:37 PM

Thanked 136,494 Times in 22,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
----Technically, these spinners never came on a production 63 Corvette, but they were used on pre-production show 63 Corvettes and also used in testing. The early adaptors that were used had a tooth system instead of production style adaptors with 5 pins to locate the wheel. That 1st design failed under strenuous testing so GM and Kelsey Hayes came up with the later Corvette style KO's. These early spinners had the same thread as the later 5-pins and could interchange. I believe that GM used different pieces from "Dayton Wire Wheel" early on as they had used DWW for a long time for other show cars and Corvairs. The older style tooth system of attachment worked OK with the Corvairs vastly lower torque.
----The "2-bar" spinners are out there and look cool, but I believe they would be a point deduction during judging as its been pretty much proven that no 63 Corvette ever was delivered with KO's. Back in 75/76 my boss at Classic Motors came up with a box of 2-bars. My memory says there were around 36 in the box. The last time I saw a 1st design complete set of 2-bar KO's on a Corvette was in the late Al Maynard's garage around 10 years ago on a ZO6 silver 63 coupe. Al was well aware that they didn't come on the car. He basicly had them on the car because no one else could........Bill S
Bill - is this the Corvette you are referring to?

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-31...rvette-z06n03/