Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 04-11-2012, 01:38 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts
Default Re: The New Project: Part Deux!

Here's a Canadian Question for any of you guys up there:

On the top of the PHS it says:

"Charge to: GENERAL MOTORS of CANADA, LTD, OSHAWA, ONTARIO"

Is this the normal way a Canadian PHS looks? Or would the original dealer nomrally be in that spot on the form?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 AM

Awesome Formula, congrats!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:21 AM

In talking to Steve, he suggested I add this to the thread.

I think I remember this car from London, Ontario. The LMP dealership on Richmond St. was pretty well known. I used to ride my bicycle by there, with my best friend, on the way to our favorite hobby shop, back around 1974-1975.

My dad was an exec at GM's Diesel Division in London Ontario from 1973-1977. He special ordered a new 1974 Trans Am 455 (Buccaneer Red) for his 3-month/3,000 mile company car. My oldest brother began street racing that brand new 74 Trans Am 455. While I was young at the time, I recall my brothers always talking about a black Formula (without spoiler) as they cruised the 74 Trans Am around London (Dundas Street being the center of the cruise scene). I remember them chatting abut various cars they would see every weekend, and they used to mention this black Formula they'd see now and then. I remember back then, as my brothers were teenagers, it was memorable when someone would give them a wave as they passed. That made them feel really cool. Anyway, I remember they said that one Sunday afternoon, the "guy in the black Formula" gave them a wave as he passed them on Richmond Street heading into the city.

As a sidenote, my brothers ended up getting busted at Airport Rd. in London one night, when about 30 cars were there watching street races. The London police broke them all up, but gave a written warning to my oldest brother. I guess seeing a teenager in a brand new red 1974 Trans Am was an easy target. That was the end of my dad bringing home &quot;cool cars&quot;. From then on it was Oldsmobiles and Buicks for his executive ordered drivers. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]

I believe all the Pontiacs destined for Canada were billed to &quot;GM Of Canada&quot; (at least the invoices I've seen). I attached an invoice of a 1971 Judge 4-speed for reference.

Again, cool car Steve, and a great find! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Attached Images

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 04-11-2012, 01:01 PM

Mike, That had to be this car since it was from that exact neighborhood from 1972 to 1985 and the only black Formula up there at the time. Give your brothers a heads up about this thread. I'd love to have their opinions and stories, too.

Great info on the PHS adddress, too.

That's what I love about this site, people sharing their stories. It's really amazing what a small world it is. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

If you are in Chicago in November, I may bring the car to MCACN if Mr. Ashton thinks it fits in the &quot;as found&quot; class. I'd love to have you and your brothers see it in person.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 PM

Congrats Steve! Looks like a great car and I know you'll make it even better. Did you sell the TA? I'd still like to see that car someday.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:12 PM

Yes, I sold the T/A to get money for this car. I was getting itchy and needed another project. I got tired of fixing up the house. That's just not as fun.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:23 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,069 Times in 903 Posts

WOW Steve! just WOW!

Tim
Old 04-11-2012, 04:34 PM

Congrats once again Steve! What state did the car go? Hope its at this years POCI in St Charles IL
Are you coming out for that show?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:25 AM

And another vintage Ontario story of the car just surfaced on the sister thread to this one over at PerformanceYears.com: http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...444&amp;page=3

&quot;<span style="font-style: italic">If in London, I ran beside that car with my Older brothers White 74 455 Formula heading west to London from Mississauga on the 401 for all both cars were worth LOL....

We bought our 74 Formula from &quot;Milton Motors&quot; back in the day and they had a great mechanic at the dealership that was all about these cars (he had a 73SD TA himself)... He was a HP freak swore the White 74 was a factory screw up because it ran (in his words not mine) harder than his SD.... I know we ran a lot of cars that we should have had our asses handed to us,,,, and came out on top much to our own surprise,,, but that black Formula left a lasting impression on me....</span>&quot;

Old 04-12-2012, 02:34 AM

It's starting to look like I picked up another &quot;Christine&quot;. I guess we'll name this one Rachel*

* after my recent biblical rant comparing my 7-year restoration of the T/A with the story of the Laban, Jacob, and Jacob's two 7-year deals to get his two wives: Leah and Rachel.

We shall all now turn to chapter #484968, on page 121 of my 72 T/A thread. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...6&amp;page=121