Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: The New Project: Part Deux!

Steve, You taking your new ride to Flemington on Sat? I am going to take the ride up with Jinx since the weather will be nice.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Still waiting for DMV to do get me my title. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img] At least they started the process since I got a letter yesterday asking for the original MSO or Canadian title and the prior owner's registration.

I called the DMV foreign title unit this morning and reminded them that cars in BC dont have titles (she agreed I was right). They still wanted the prior ower's reg, which luckily I had and sent it to them today, certified mail.

BTW, the original list of docs they requested never mentioned the prior registration. We will see what next week brings...

Maybe I'll take Gramma's Firebird to the cruise.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:51 AM

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] gotta love DMV! NOW the weather is saying some chance of T-storms on sat. Which means I am going to make my decision on sat right before I leave [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 PM

Found some more stuff I need:

1) The little bracket/tab/guide plate that holds the hood release pull bar in position.

Here is the shot of what is on my Gramma's 75 Firebird:

And the spot where one should be on my 72 (I removed the bracket he had installed for the inside hood release as it doesnt line up with the original location for the metal pull bar).

2) I also need a clutch fan blade for the 72 since the prior owner had installed an electric fan and a solid mounted fan blade on the engine.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 PM

And here is something for the archives: an original rear package tray. Looks like I was the first person to ever remove this thing from the car. Very interesting cutout for the single rear speaker with the center bar between the cutouts. The other funny thing is that the factory punched speaker mounting holes were all 1/2&quot; too narrow. The factory speaker grill studs had to slot out the carboard holes 1/2&quot; farther than the outer holes in order to line up with the factory stamped holes in the rear deck.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 PM

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,605 Posts

----So the question is; Do you do the new package tray the same way???......Bill S
Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 PM

Yup. I placed them on top of each other and traced the outline of the opening and the mounting holes with a pencil. I also placed the new package tray on the rear deck and traced the outline of the stamped holes in the rear deck. They all lined up nicely.

Interestingly enough, the four factory stamped stud holes in the rear deck are a circular stamp with a slot that lines up with the slots in the cardboard package tray. Looks like a little lack of communication from the engineers and the manufacturers back in the day. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2012, 02:18 AM

Started putting the interior back in the car today. Lots of tugging and maneauvering to get the new carpet in the right spot and locked down in place. Running from one side to the other constantly to make sure I didn't pull too far and have the other side short of the sill plates (one bitten, twice shy). I tossed out the old carpet because it reeked of the ziebart/cosmoline rust proofing goo that was all over the floorboards and trunk. Now the car no longer smells like a refinery inside. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/sick.gif[/img]

After one of the pulling sessions I get out of the car and there is this little critter sitting right outside the driver's door. He wandered around the driveway for 10 minutes until the dogs annoyed him enough to walk back to his herd out in woods.

Here is the current progress:

Old 06-10-2012, 05:16 AM

Hi Steve
Do you need anything else from me that will make your DMV work faster?Do you need a copy of the top portion of the BC car reg,that the buyers portion is temoved from?
I just bought a car in the Seattle area,and I followed all the Border rules to a tee,and I had it home in four days after I purchased it,and got it Provincially inspected one hour after crossing the border,and an hour later had plates on it and insurance until October when it comes off the road for the winter.
Grant
Old 06-10-2012, 11:28 AM

Nice. Gotta love how smooth the BC system is. The Peoples Republic of New Jersey doesn't trust its own people at the local offices to do the paperwork on asylum-seeking automobiles. Hopefully they have everything now. Otherwise I'll have to return the car back to you. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

So what did you buy???