Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 05-12-2006, 04:18 PM

Default 68 Camaro multiplex

Which multiplex cover for the council mounted multiplex is correct for 1968 Camaro.
suprss70
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 205080-68_221_Remote_Multiplex_setup.jpg 205079-68_221_Remote_Multiplex_control.jpg 205072-68_221_Remote_Multiplex_wiring.jpg 205065-multiplex.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-12-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Re: 68 Camaro multiplex

This is the correct pad, It doesn't have a seam.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:58 PM

No such thing as a factory console mounted multi plex in a 68(or any first generation)Camaro. There were two console mounted 8 track units, one for a multiplex radio, one for the mono radios. Externally the units are identical, the multiplex one just has an additional harness on it to bring the multiplexed signal from the muliplex unit through the 8 track and out to the speakers. An 8 track player used with a multiplex radio used the same arm rest pad as a regular stereo 8 track player, and there was only one cover made and it doesn't have any seams along the edge, the vinyl is just streatched over the foam backing and glued on the back side.

A 68 multiplex only unit consists of a 4 knob control unit with a big green stereo light in the center mounted in the cover of the console door. The multiplex unit itself is mounted under the dash to the left of the steering column. Very rare setup, almost as rare as the multiplex 8 track unit.

My Pace Car
Old 05-13-2006, 02:41 AM

Mark
thanks for your info
However the origonal owner of my 68 Camaro ordered a
am fm multiplex and is on the bill of sale for the car.I talked to him and asked him if th multiplex was mounted on the council door He said when he took delivery of the car he was not happy about this council mounted multiplex
and I asked the second owner and the third owner of the 68Camaro and they all confirm that the multiplex was mounted on the council with a pad on top for a arm rest.The origional council which is still on the car has a round hole on the side of the compartment with 2 small screw holes on each side to hold the wiring gromet . I have the council mounted multiplex and want to put it back the way it came from the factory??????? (need help)The car was built the 4th week of Jan/68
suprss70
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2006, 03:38 AM

This is a 68 factory Multiplex setup

Yours looks like an 8 track (Tough to tell with a photo of the back of it.). As I said there is a multiplex 8 track unit that is visually the same as a regular 8 track, except for an extra wiring harness. The knobs on the 8 track controlled the multiplex units tone and balance, as well as the 8 tracks output.
Attached Images

My Pace Car
Old 05-13-2006, 04:54 AM

Mark
can you describe what the wires are for in the pic.
the long black wire with a junction box on the end??

suprss70
Old 05-13-2006, 05:02 AM

The box is the control head for the multiplex, has the volume, balance, tone and front-rear fader controls. The unit in the picture should have a label plate underneath it with the control names on it.

Attached Images

My Pace Car
Old 05-13-2006, 05:07 AM

Heres the whole deal:

Attached Images

My Pace Car
Old 05-13-2006, 05:18 AM

Pete,

I think you hit upon the anomoly in your second post.

[ QUOTE ]
He said when he took delivery of the car he was not happy about this council mounted multiplex

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was unhappy with the control unit taking up all the room on the console door (as a lot of people were), the dealer may have done something like mount an Underdash unit (bottom picture) on top of the console instead.

And for the record, I agree with your original owner. The console mounted controls were absurd and it took up most of the room in the console, making it virtually useless! In addition to Mark's picture above, I've included a few pictures for you to look at. You can see the control unit under the console door and how much room it takes up. If the dealer installed an underdash unit on top of the console door (as it appears yours is), that would explain everything. As you can see by the last picture (AM/FM with the underdash multiplex), it looks just like yours. I'm also assuming that the dealer probably covered it with the same type of cover that was used on the 8 Track player (probably from another model), to make it look nicer than just a metal box sitting on top of the console.

At least that's my theory...

Ed

CRG Member
Old 02-13-2011, 03:04 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark_C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heres the whole deal:
</div></div>

These components are similar to the '68 Camaro's RPO U79 <span style="font-style: italic">Radio Stereo Multiplex - with console controls</span>, although there are some differences when compared to the '66 Caprice / Imapala version.

'68 Camaro's console control assembly does not unplug inside the console compartment, as it's wired directly to the wire harness.

The round plug on the '68 version that plugs into the bottom of the AM/FM radio has 9 pins and a center plastic alignment feature ('68 and later ), while '67 &amp; prior has 11 pins and no center alignment feature - which is another way to dermine the year of a '67 / '68 AM/FM Radio which is missing the PN tag.

Another detail to look for is the funky angled bracket ( attached by screws / not welded to Adaper Assembly ) &amp; mounting wedge ( PN 3943635 ) that mounts the multiplex unit up under the dash, to the left of the steering column.

To the best of my knowledge, the '68 multiplex with console controls could only be ordered in combination with RPO U17 Console Gauges / Console Instument Cluster.

I'm not certain that this was also true for RPO U57 console mounted Stereo Tape Player, as I don't very often see this option.
Here's a few pics of '68 AM/FM multiplex components with the console control assembly :

'68 control head

'68 multiplex unit

'68 multiplex with console controls