Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 06-20-2017, 04:49 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thumbs up Replacement Mercury Batteries for Sun Transmitters

The Eveready Mercury batteries N0. E12N used in the Sun transmitters have been discontinued awhile ago. Duracell Mercury batteries RM12R were being manufactured as a direct replacement.

Does anyone know where to buy them?

Thanks!!...
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry Sun Tach Mercury Batteries_2.jpg Sun EB-9A-12 Transmitter_Nov_1963_4_A.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-20-2017, 06:20 AM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

You might want to give these people a call ^^^

Also found this:

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthrea...430#post814430
Old 06-20-2017, 12:46 PM

Thanked 4,476 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 DANA View Post
The Eveready Mercury batteries N0. E12N used in the Sun transmitters have been discontinued awhile ago. Duracell Mercury batteries RM12R were being manufactured as a direct replacement.

Does anyone know where to buy them?

Thanks!!...
I used regular 1.5V AA battery to replace those in my Sun tach transmitter, after I had run them down in a flashlight for a bit. They worked for probably 15 years or so; I just replaced them last weekend.

Those are my batteries (and my photo) in the top pic, btw. I still have them and use them for display purposes.

Starting with post #6: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392461

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 06-20-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

You might want to give these people a call ^^^

Also found this:

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthrea...430#post814430

Thanks Lee..!!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I used regular 1.5V AA battery to replace those in my Sun tach transmitter, after I had run them down in a flashlight for a bit. They worked for probably 15 years or so; I just replaced them last weekend.

Those are my batteries (and my photo) in the top pic, btw. I still have them and use them for display purposes.

Starting with post #6: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392461

K

Keith......you are correct......thanks for the post

Mercury batteries (two 1.35 volt cells in series = 2 .7 v) were used in the earlier Sun tachs. The mercury style batteries provided excellent constant voltage regulation over their operating life span. As a result the mercury batteries will maintain 1.35v potential until approx. 5% of their life, where the voltage will quickly decline. AA Alkaline battery technology doesn’t have the same constant voltage regulation curve. The batteries have an initial open circuit voltage of 1.5v and initially drop approx. 6.6% - 13.3% (1.4v-1.3v) then continue to decrease over their life span.

Decreasing an alkaline battery from the initial 1.5v to 1.35v before using them in the Sun tach will work however due to their poor constant voltage regulation the Sun tach’s needle deflection, representing the RPM, will not be as accurate as if it had been used with an original mercury type battery.

If accuracy is not an issue then problem solved. If accuracy is an issue then it can be corrected by the use of a simple voltage regulator circuit; 9 volt battery, resistor and a 2.7v Zener diode.

The mercury battery was Sun part number 1766-7 and was made by Mallory, commercial part number RM12R and the Eveready part number was N0. E12N.

I am restoring to period correctness and therefore prefer not to modify but use the original technology of the day. I reached out to the company that Lee mentioned above. Hopefully they have access to the Duracell RM12R battery.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:49 AM

Thanked 4,476 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 DANA View Post
Keith......you are correct......thanks for the post

Mercury batteries (two 1.35 volt cells in series = 2 .7 v) were used in the earlier Sun tachs. The mercury style batteries provided excellent constant voltage regulation over their operating life span. As a result the mercury batteries will maintain 1.35v potential until approx. 5% of their life, where the voltage will quickly decline. AA Alkaline battery technology doesn’t have the same constant voltage regulation curve. The batteries have an initial open circuit voltage of 1.5v and initially drop approx. 6.6% - 13.3% (1.4v-1.3v) then continue to decrease over their life span.

Decreasing an alkaline battery from the initial 1.5v to 1.35v before using them in the Sun tach will work however due to their poor constant voltage regulation the Sun tach’s needle deflection, representing the RPM, will not be as accurate as if it had been used with an original mercury type battery.

If accuracy is not an issue then problem solved. If accuracy is an issue then it can be corrected by the use of a simple voltage regulator circuit; 9 volt battery, resistor and a 2.7v Zener diode.

The mercury battery was Sun part number 1766-7 and was made by Mallory, commercial part number RM12R and the Eveready part number was N0. E12N.

I am restoring to period correctness and therefore prefer not to modify but use the original technology of the day. I reached out to the company that Lee mentioned above. Hopefully they have access to the Duracell RM12R battery.
Thank you for the additional detail. I was not aware of the accuracy issue; the needle moved appropriately and I never thought to check beyond that.

Fortunately the tach does not have to be very accurate for driving on and off the show field...

Let us know what you find out.

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
Old 06-27-2017, 12:13 AM

Sent out a couple of e-mail requests followed up by a phone call to the company above; "Just NSN Parts" inquiring about the RM12R batteries. Unfortunately have not received a response......my search continues....
Old 07-29-2017, 05:22 AM

There are a few sites out there that list them, however no solid lead.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:47 AM

Still searching for a supplier or an equivalent substitution.