Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Default Re: The most "significant" Chevrolet performance c

For me the most significant would be the Z-11's. The pinicle would be the ZL-1's.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:58 PM

I would think it must be the Camaro and in particular the Z-28 if we are talking muscle only.

However, if Frank really means "significant" Chevrolet performance car and not just muscle car, it must be the Corvette, I'm afraid. It was (is?) the only true American sports car. Between the early Duntov specials, the show cars, the Grand Sport program, the 67 L-88s and the more recent C5R/C6R endurance racing program it has been the only car to really put the US on a world stage. I think that the C5R/C6R program in particular distinguishes the Vette due to the direct factory involvement, the dominance it held over its class and the fact that the road ZO6 was built in the same department. It continues in production form to be "the dogs bollocks", as they say over here.

As for the other marques:

- Ford = the Mustang in all it's various guises
- Pontiac = GTO
- Buick = GSX version of the Skylark
- Olds = W-30 (although I prefer W-31s)
- Plymouth = 'Cuda, in particular the Hemi cars (although I'm partial to the Wing cars)
- Dodge = dare I say the Viper?
- Chrysler = the 300 maybe?
- AMC = AMX

ZL1 #49 (Dale, Waukesha WI) Super Stock restoration by SCW; 9561AA (Walters, Hebron OH) Super Stock motor by the Grump
Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,189 Times in 1,342 Posts

Pete Estes 68 vert was a one off but my understanding when it was sold to the public it was sans the JL8 and crossram. If we are focusing on chevrolet muscle cars the ZL1 does it for me. Now which one take your pick #1,55 or 3.

The blue 68 convert Z28 is a clone with made up paperwork and restamped parts. Not sure why the owner went as far as he did with restamping parts and making fake paperwork

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 05-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
This question was bandied around on LS1 tech and the responses ran into the thousands. Since the term significant was chosen I think the Estes car stands alone. Had it not been built,you might have seen about five consecutive years of Manufacturers championships for ford in the T/A series. Five decades of the RPO..how many others lasted more than one?. From a valuation standpoint which would fetch more at say BJ,that(or any) ZL1 or the Estes car?. Don't get me wrong I love the ZL1's but all 69 don't add up to the influence that vert had in changing chevy history in both production and racing.

(Ken,i'm with ya brother)

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you are saying the Estes car was the reason Z28's were built but I think I remember that being proven untrue by the fact that they were either already announced or being built by the time the Estes car was built ?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:14 PM

I'm glad the Z16 has been brought up a few times in relation to "the most significant Chev performance car". It is the father of all big blocks to follow. The ZL1 is certainly more popular and desirable, though.

Funny, sometimes in conversation I'll say Z16 and you get this

Doesn't happen with ZL1.

Dave

www.Z16Chevelle.com
Old 05-20-2008, 05:22 PM

I would have to say the 69 ZL-1. It's significance is not only based on it's very limited production, but with it's intentionally under rated HP we need to give GM a lot of credit for creative marketing and advertising.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 PM

Jeff M, yeah, I totally was not even thinking about a 67 L88 Vette. Those are way up there. I am sure one of the Vette guys like Tim G from Texas knows of one that is way more special than the rest. I remember when I started attending Bloomington Gold 10 years ago I would get those Gold Standard Programs and read the stories about each L88 over and over. Those cars are amazing. True race cars.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:12 PM

By the way, was there ever any leads as to the stolen paperwork on the Estes Z28 convert? That story makes me sick when I think about it.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 PM

Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,144 Posts

Not necessarily the most valuable or coveted by our group here but don't forget some of the earliest most significant performance cars in Chevrolet history were actually FRDS!.

After unloading his interests in Chevrolet to GM founder Billy Durant, Louis Chevrolet a his brothers got back to their real love...racing!.
The Chevy Bros Frontenac Motors Co. produced the very successful 'Fronty' Ford racers also making their modified heads, parts and cars available to other racers..
Sound like anyone else you know of?.

Here's a bit of an online blurb on the subject..
http://www.modelt.ca/speed.html

~ Pete

Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 PM

No,Piggens got the green light from Estes almost two years before that car was built on 7/15/68. I think the car was more a thanks from the engineers for him approving the 67 program,it certainly helped the RPO transcend time.