Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 02:18 PM

I read through all that and don't see any mention of whether the car was represented as real or fake or whether the buyer knew one way or the other.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,169 Times in 1,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosportGreen66 View Post
I need to ask the community - how is no one else outraged by this situation?

Because the world of Corvettes is microscopic, turns out I had this car flagged in my database as having a reproduction trim tag after a friend asked for my opinion of the tag. I never saw the VIN though.

This situation frustrated me immensely so I stepped up and reached out to the buyer who posted on the Corvette Forum. I am NOT affiliated with him or this transaction in any way shape or form. I did this because I have unfortunately have the experience of dealing with a dishonest seller (a member here) which cost me $10k +. I gave him candid advice and he acted promptly. Kuddos to him! He sent pics to a very well known Corvette expert (a member here too) and the expert and I had communication and agreed on the details of the car – real VIN, fake trim tag, fake paperwork. The buyer had correspondence with the seller and the seller agreed to take the car back without financial implication. The return/refund is slated for later this week.

As a community of classic car enthusiasts, we should continuously be assertive and vigilant against reproduction documents, dishonesty, and fraud within our hobby.

Dan

Way to step up, and help rectify the situation.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Shauger For This Useful Post:
67since67 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 02:28 PM

smart move by the seller take the car back. He would have big big legal problems
Old 05-08-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x33rs View Post
I read through all that and don't see any mention of whether the car was represented as real or fake or whether the buyer knew one way or the other.
Wonder how far back in ownership the fake tag & docs go ? Sounded like the seller was just selling it for his father's estate ?
Old 05-08-2018, 03:21 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Good questions... Apparently the seller is not a car guy. Cars were owned by father. Sons want out. I have not spoken with sellers but they have more than one car. I find it tough to believe they did not know nor did they inquire. I don't want to infer further because they are taking the car back.

Dan
Old 05-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosportGreen66 View Post
I need to ask the community - how is no one else outraged by this situation?

Because the world of Corvettes is microscopic, turns out I had this car flagged in my database as having a reproduction trim tag after a friend asked for my opinion of the tag. I never saw the VIN though.

This situation frustrated me immensely so I stepped up and reached out to the buyer who posted on the Corvette Forum. I am NOT affiliated with him or this transaction in any way shape or form. I did this because I have unfortunately have the experience of dealing with a dishonest seller (a member here) which cost me $10k +. I gave him candid advice and he acted promptly. Kuddos to him! He sent pics to a very well known Corvette expert (a member here too) and the expert and I had communication and agreed on the details of the car – real VIN, fake trim tag, fake paperwork. The buyer had correspondence with the seller and the seller agreed to take the car back without financial implication. The return/refund is slated for later this week.

As a community of classic car enthusiasts, we should continuously be assertive and vigilant against reproduction documents, dishonesty, and fraud within our hobby.

Dan

That has happened to me on the Corvette Forum several times. Once I pointed out an issue with a trim tag it was an St Louis built body 67 Corvette with A.O smith built trim tag obviously the tag was changed. They treated me like I was trying to cause trouble. Every time I look at a car with any kind of documentation I approach them with the assumption that they are fake until I can prove it other wise. To many cars out there have original paperwork or "original drive-train" these days. If I didn't know any better it would seem like everyone (back in the day) babied their cars and knew they would be worth a lot of money one day?

Matt.

Last edited by Nasblu; 05-08-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Default Another 1967 Corvette on Ebay with purportedly original documents:

Deleted thread

Last edited by fsc66; 05-14-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:10 PM

Thanked 3,766 Times in 1,597 Posts

----With that said, Paul, the actual sidepipes (not the covers) are very poor copies. Makes me wonder if the car came with sidepipes, although I see nothing other than the pipes to base that on........Bill S
Old 05-08-2018, 06:00 PM

Paul,

If you look through the pictures of the trans, a 1967 Corvette Muncie should have a passenger side Speedo tail housing...

So much for a correct restoration...

Hope this helps... Crash
Old 05-08-2018, 06:52 PM

1967 Corvettes used a 584 tail housing (speedo hole on passenger side) not the earlier 429 casting used on 63-64 Muncie tail housing with the (speedo hole driver side). Some claim that early 65 corvettes used the 429 casting tail housing before the 584 but I believe they have never found an actual example of this being true.