Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Sponsors > Vintage Musclecar Parts

Old 05-30-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannystarr View Post
Nobody online at any of the Camaro sites ever told me to check my fuel pressure. Maybe they did, I really don't remember, but I don't think so.
I recall your thread, but thought you said you'd done a few thousand miles on the HBC fuel pump with no issues? Was this after you traced the problem back to the rebuilt distributor and the holes in the carb butterflies?
Old 05-31-2017, 06:18 AM

I did do 3 thousand miles on that same pump. Bought car with 54,610 and took it to 57,200. BUT the issue was ALWAYS there. All the things mentioned just helped make it run better. As you may recall, there was only 3 teeth on the timing gear. 14 PSI at an idle is WAY to high of course. Once I stuck the PRV in the front in the frame, it was an incredible change. I never have had a car that pulled so hard with only 1/4" of throttle in any gear at almost any speed above 25MPH. At times I would be going down the road at 3,000 RPM's and hit a bump in the road and accidentally push on the throttle a little and the whole car would lunge forward. It was crazy! I wish I could have wound it up to 7 or 8,000rpm's. I could only imagine what it would have been like. But 4,500 20 times was still a heck of a good time. Car NEVER died at a stop again, white smoke gone. SUPER rich at an idle burning your eyes to hell and back.. ALL GONE.. D
Old 06-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Yenko Paid Member

Eric - So in order to check the fuel pump pressure like on a stock 69Z, how would you go about doing that - whats needs to come off and what tool/gauge do i need? Anyone got a pic of a setup they did?

68 COPO Camaro 9737 non-converted YENKO
69 YENKO SC Camaro, Hugger Orange - born with engine!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Yenko Paid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enio45 View Post
Eric - So in order to check the fuel pump pressure like on a stock 69Z, how would you go about doing that - whats needs to come off and what tool/gauge do i need? Anyone got a pic of a setup they did?
Good Q Eric -- please provide your thoughts on this ... TAZ
Old 06-11-2017, 05:40 PM

You'll need a basic low pressure fuel pressure tester such as the one shown below:

I'd warm the engine up a little so it will idle w/o the choke being engaged. Disconnect the feed line from the pump at the brass junction block (such as on the `69 Z28) or at the fuel inlet fitting on a Quadrajet equipped vehicle. Have some rags handy to catch the fuel that will inevitably spill, and it should go w/o saying that a fire extinguisher is a MUST.

Connect the rubber hose from the tester to the end of the fuel line--often you can slip the hose over the end of the flare on the tube with a little finagling. You may have to get a little creative to come up with something workable. Use a hose clamp to secure the hose to the fuel line, then start the engine (let it idle!) and observe the fuel pressure. Only let it run long enough to observe the pressure, then shut it off. Revving the engine will not effect the pressure, so again, just let it idle. There's enough fuel in the carb for the engine to run for at least 30 seconds to 1 minute with the inlet disconnected.

Reverse the procedure and re-start to check for any leaks.

<span style="font-style: italic">Click the banner below!</span>

sales@vintagemusclecarparts.com
(937) 836-5927

Check out the new Vintage Musclecar Parts
Facebook page!
Old 06-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Yenko Paid Member

THANKS Eric -- Fire-putter-outer is a must!! TAZ
Old 06-12-2017, 02:18 AM
Yenko Paid Member

thanks eric....will give this a shot

68 COPO Camaro 9737 non-converted YENKO
69 YENKO SC Camaro, Hugger Orange - born with engine!
Old 06-12-2017, 08:19 PM

I don't know if you can get real accurate results without having the fuel flowing through the system in a real working manner under actual load. I did the test with just the gauge and it was I think 8.2 PSI. THEN I ran it with a liquid filled gauge installed inline under working load. BIG difference.. View the video's in reply #20 to see what I mean. I punched it and adjusted the flow rate of the PRV accordingly. So as not to have a major lean lapse in fuel under a load. Pretty easy to do. I pulled the cowl and ran the lines up so I could see the gauge while driving. Eric is correct as you can with some effort, push the 3/8ths" rubber line over the flare and install a clamp. Careful not to tear the inside and leave chunks free to clog the carb filters. I purchased a couple 3/8th's male flare X barbed fittings that swivel. $16 each and worth every penny. Nice to be able to roll it up or down out of the way of the air cleaner etc. Danny