Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Garages/shops..

Old 12-09-2015, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Show us your shop!

We were in Washington, Il. yesterday, and our son Dave asked me to take a ride in his '68 Camaro. I haven't ridden in it since 1990. It has a VERY STRONG 406 small black in it, with a Turbo 350, highly modified auto trans with Kevlar bands and a 3200 stall convertor. It also has a 4:10 12 bolt rear end. The suspension is set up for drag racing. (Drag shocks in the rear, 80/20 shocks in the front with the sway bar unattached.) Morosso front drag springs, traction bars on 7 leaf springs. The frame has been tied, too. He starts the damn thing up, and it explodes to life. I don't think more than 2 teeth had engaged the fly wheel. 10.5 compression, and a new Holley annular discharge carb. ($789.00!!) We left his house and traveled about 2 miles at a slow pace to warm up the engine. All this time, my teeth were rattling in my head and my vision is blurred! When we got to Rt. 24 he makes the turn onto eastbound 24 and nails it in 2nd gear. He has the very sticky M&H drag slicks on it, the front end wants to come up off the road, and the tires are trying desperately to get a hold of the pavement and it spun for about 10 ft., and hooked like it was on a geared track!! I could not hear or see because the car exploded into this ear shattering roar (3" exhaust all the way back from 1-7/8" long tube headers.) I about shit my pants! I could not see, my eyes were shaking in their sockets and my head was so far back I was looking at the head liner! It wound up instantly and he shifted into 3rd...the same thing....ear splitting roar, 10' of rubber, wound up instantly and I shit my pants again! By this time we are well over 120 mph, I really don't know how far over 120 because the speedometer only goes to 120!! My guess was 130-140. So then he turns around at Cummings Rd. and starts the same thing, only this time it's in first gear. It was such a violent launch, the car shook for about 10' because now the slicks are hot and the traction was superb, instantly up to 6500 RPM, and I mean INSTANTLY!! 2nd gear, the same thing, INSTANTLY up to 6500 RPM, then finally in 3rd gear, the front end settles down and it's really pulling now, way over 130-140. I'm guessing 10 seconds in the quarter mile. I will never forget that ride, I've been in some really fast rides, but NEVER have I witnessed the shear, brute force of this Camaro. The only word to describe that car is VIOLENT! When it's all over and the car is in the garage, I'm finding it hard to walk, to see and hear, then he tells me he did NOT hit the nitrous button (150 shot)!
Old 12-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

very descriptive! sounds like a real kick in the pants! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]

Old 12-09-2015, 10:06 PM

Thanked 1,560 Times in 814 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cuzineddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We were in Washington, Il. yesterday, and our son Dave asked me to take a ride in his '68 Camaro. I haven't ridden in it since 1990. It has a VERY STRONG 406 small black in it, with a Turbo 350, highly modified auto trans with Kevlar bands and a 3200 stall convertor. It also has a 4:10 12 bolt rear end. The suspension is set up for drag racing. (Drag shocks in the rear, 80/20 shocks in the front with the sway bar unattached.) Morosso front drag springs, traction bars on 7 leaf springs. The frame has been tied, too. He starts the damn thing up, and it explodes to life. I don't think more than 2 teeth had engaged the fly wheel. 10.5 compression, and a new Holley annular discharge carb. ($789.00!!) We left his house and traveled about 2 miles at a slow pace to warm up the engine. All this time, my teeth were rattling in my head and my vision is blurred! When we got to Rt. 24 he makes the turn onto eastbound 24 and nails it in 2nd gear. He has the very sticky M&amp;H drag slicks on it, the front end wants to come up off the road, and the tires are trying desperately to get a hold of the pavement and it spun for about 10 ft., and hooked like it was on a geared track!! I could not hear or see because the car exploded into this ear shattering roar (3&quot; exhaust all the way back from 1-7/8&quot; long tube headers.) I about shit my pants! I could not see, my eyes were shaking in their sockets and my head was so far back I was looking at the head liner! It wound up instantly and he shifted into 3rd...the same thing....ear splitting roar, 10' of rubber, wound up instantly and I shit my pants again! By this time we are well over 120 mph, I really don't know how far over 120 because the speedometer only goes to 120!! My guess was 130-140. So then he turns around at Cummings Rd. and starts the same thing, only this time it's in first gear. It was such a violent launch, the car shook for about 10' because now the slicks are hot and the traction was superb, instantly up to 6500 RPM, and I mean INSTANTLY!! 2nd gear, the same thing, INSTANTLY up to 6500 RPM, then finally in 3rd gear, the front end settles down and it's really pulling now, way over 130-140. I'm guessing 10 seconds in the quarter mile. I will never forget that ride, I've been in some really fast rides, but NEVER have I witnessed the shear, brute force of this Camaro. The only word to describe that car is VIOLENT! When it's all over and the car is in the garage, I'm finding it hard to walk, to see and hear, then he tells me he did NOT hit the nitrous button (150 shot)! </div></div>

Thanks Dad, I take it you liked the &quot;Hell Ride&quot;. Lol
I should put the old Polyglas' on!
2013 Corvette Grand Sport 60th Anniversary
-Delivered to Bill Jacobs Chevrolet, Joliet, IL
NCRS#66003

“Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don’t.”-Pete Seeger

http://dykstramotorsports.weebly.com/index.html
Old 12-09-2015, 10:09 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----You have done the Dykstras proud, Dave!!! Tell these guys some stuff about your Camaro. Hint; its extremely quick.......Bill S </div></div>

Thanks Bill. It was great seeing you at MCACN!!
NCRS#66003

“Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don’t.”-Pete Seeger

Old 01-01-2016, 07:21 PM

here are my garage updates, take my advice with a grain of salt, as everyone's opinion should be treated that way. I just thought I would share some of the things that worked for me:

Here is a shot of of where my furnance blows (I hated the ugly ductwork that ran along the top of the wall, it screwed up the open look I had before the ductwork went in). Furnance works FINE without the duct work but I do fear I have too close of an air return path, but <span style="font-style: italic">for now it is fine for me</span>. My garage is essentially 50 x 24~30 and I see no reason for ductwork, it is the same temp all over the garage. I do have plans to install a fan at the top end of my ceiling in the open area (not above car lifts) to create more of a drafting (suction) effect on the furnance. Electric and bracing already there.

I went with a lennox knock off furnance (Dukane) (I think 93% efficient). A local fireman installs these on the side and gets them close to cost. It was stupid cheap for the whole setup, and he had it in under an 1hr before he added the other ductwork I since removed. Furnance has worked well. I did not want a system that would take air from inside the garage for combustion.

Below are the garage door rails that hug the truss ceiling. I have gotten a lot of compliments from car buddies on that. I highly recommend doing this if you can.

Below is my crazy work area. Only good things are I am actually using the space now. I got a stainless table at cabellas that they sell for meat preparation, that is a TANK! It was only $75 during a sale and I want to get a few more. Check them out, I plan to work on a transmission on one this weekend. Tomorrow my friend brings over the engine for the vette so we can start getting the car 'gone', then I can put 4 wheel discs on the cuda convert. I got my tool cabinet on a black friday sale, so I finally got a clean organized place for my tools! I am very happy with the HD craftsman box.

I am now looking at this, with the thought I can maybe make a brace that hooks to the side of my backyard buddy for an extra piece of mind it wont tip over. <span style="font-weight: bold">I did not want a permanent 2 post lift</span>, as it is nice to have the open space to detail or park cars, or to reuse that portion of the garage for kids parties during the summer:

Old 01-19-2016, 01:55 PM

black 69, Love your shop and cars! Looks great.
NCRS#66003

Old 01-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts

Soooo, with the truck done and the Bee on the horizon, I thought to myself, &quot;Self, sure would be nice to have a bigger paint booth...and a mezzanine for storage....and another car that had maybe, oh, a hundred grand stashed in the trunk!!&quot; Knowing the latter wouldn't be realistic for many reasons, I built this little thing over the past month. The goal was to make it look like an old Gulf Service Station (well, in my mind, anyway! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]) and I'm just about done! These pics show the framing, running the air pipe, and stairs. I used 2x8 joists and everything is bolted to the floor and the wall so in case I drive into it (with that new car with the $100K in the trunk) it won't move. And, I can use that $100K to sue myself! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] !Enjoy! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cool.gif[/img]

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Drywall up, electrical done, lights on!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:04 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

So, the final outcome with my custom art touches. I couldn't find a large enough Gulf sign locally, so I painted one myself! And I painted the whole building in the Heritage Gulf Racing colors, since this is about the closest I'll get to owning a Ford GT in those colors. I made an antiquey-style air stand that I still need to detail up. And it actually works! The exhaust fan is belt driven so the motor is up and out of the paint fumes. It goes through a series of filters then exits the door through a port to the outside. One filters intake and two filtered exhaust ports. The last item is to stick the tile down on the floor since here it's just laid out to make sure the pattern is correct.

Time to start painting!!!

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

I did everything you see here, except the electrical work. I figured that an electrician would be able to do it way faster than I would. Plus, knowing Mikey and the razzing I'd take if for some reason I turned on my fan motor here in TX and his house went dim up in OH, I'd never hear the end of it! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] So with the electrical fee, supplies, etc., this whole booth project was $4,652.17. I coated the upper floor with that decking surface restoration junk that Lowe's has. It leaves a hard, textured surface and fills in the gaps on the OSB board. Came out great! I have some left over and will probably hit the stair treads with it too. The floor inside the booth will have painter's floor covering paper on it that's disposable, so when done it'll go into the trash and the booth remains clean. Plus, I can keep a car in there when not in use. You know, that one with the $100K in the trunk! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

Hope you enjoyed my &quot;boof&quot; build out!

Dave